Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Powers of bailiffs

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
ConsumerAction Group have a good bailiff threads sub-forum with plenty of sticky advice threads at the top:

Bailiffs and High Court Enforcement Officers

But as for parking tickets, obviously private parking tickets are just fake PCNs and as they are a scam and never go to bailiffs (only toothless debt collectors which you simply ignore). As for real Penalty Charge Notices from Councils - why on earth would anyone let it go to bailiff stage? There's an appeals process and as long as deadlines for reply are met it does not go to bailiffs, it goes to adjudication where about 60% or more of people win. Pepipoo is the forum for advice on appealing real (Council) parking tickets and getting off them almost every time (people who go there and take their case to an adjudicator using pepipoo advice win 90/95% of the time):

FightBack Forums -> Council Parking Tickets Clamping and Decriminalised Notices

HTH (myself and apparently, Westdene Seagull also go on moneysavingexpert.com chat forums as they have a great bailiff forum and a parking ticket forum amongst thousands of other useful topics).

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I had one turn about about 3 weeks ago, was not nice apparently i owe the council £98, nothing really but they came out and tbh they were not nice at all, i explained i knew nothing about this debt and rang the council while he was there, turns out i dont owe the council anything, what a complete waist of tax payers money, im sure it costs the council have to pay some cost to get them out. I was going to go to the press with it, but i decided against it, i am not very well as it is, so this took me totally by surprise.

Never owed any money in my life.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
don't open the door to them - or shout thro letter box the owner is out.

case and thread closed.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
If they have been let into the house once (by an adult) then they have the right to re-enter whenever they want, as long as they don't have to break anything to get in. So keep your doors locked and ground floor windows shut. That is my understanding anyway. You can 'sell' your possessions to a friend and have written proof that they are leasing it back to you - obviously that needs to look as if it was done a while ago, rather than just as a way of beating the bailiffs.
Hasn't he got a couple of Liverpool tickets to sell to raise some cash ;)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Depends if they are county court bailiffs or private ones.

Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a private bailiff - they are really just debt collectors with no more powers than you or I. These people have to go to court for the alledged debt, win and you refuse to pay before they can enter your property. Obviously debts to the council and other authorities are slightly different although they still need a court warrant.

If iwas done for a parking offense the man to PM is Westdene Seagull who seems to know about these things, or there is a website but I cant rememeber the name pepipoo or similar.

Be careful to differentiate between a council / police ticket and the scam invoices sent out by private parking companies.

Igonre private parking "tickets". Council ones are always worth a fight but within the rules. You'll never get a bailiff calling for a parking ticket ( of either variety ) unless you've been taken to court, lost and failed to pay what the judge has instructed.

HTH (myself and apparently, Westdene Seagull also go on moneysavingexpert.com chat forums as they have a great bailiff forum and a parking ticket forum amongst thousands of other useful topics).

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here