Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Power surge explodes 'superloo'

A so-called 'superloo' exploded in a town centre when an electrical fault caused water to surge back into the toilet, blowing off its roof and lifting the pavement.

Luckily no one was using the Automated Public Convenience at the time but it was badly damaged and remained closed on Wednesday while engineers worked at the site.

Energy bosses blamed a fault in high voltage cables underneath the toilet, in Hanley town centre, Stoke-on-Trent, and said an investigation was under way.

Police were called to reports of an explosion in Hanley town centre, Stoke-on-Trent, at 0445 GMT on Wednesday.

Officers found the roof ripped off and smoke coming from inside.

Parts of the surrounding pavement had also been lifted.

A spokesman said there were also unconfirmed reports that nearby traffic lights had been affected.

Rebecca Jackson, from Aquila, said they had isolated the cable but were investigating the fault and the siting of the toilet.

"This could have been quite distressing if not dangerous if someone had been in there and we are taking it very seriously," she said.

"We would like to reassure domestic customers this isn't something that is likely to happen in their own homes.

"They have low voltage cables and lines going into their properties, their homes should not be sited over high voltage cables."

The toilet, an Automated Public Convenience, was operated for the city council by JC Decaux.

The council's spokesman, Terry James said: "The toilets have been there for around two or three years.

"It doesn't appear to be vandalism or terrorism, it does appear to have been a technical problem."

_39819769_explodedloo300.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Police have launched an investigation but say they've got nothing to go on.

:D :D :D

Apparently Stoke is experiencing a crime wave today as most of the police are bogged down with this incident.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Head of Stokes Public Shitter section, Mr Arthur Bogmaster, today said "We have known about this problem for a while now, but we didn't realise quite how serious it was. When somebody told me when I came in this morning a shit-hole had exploded, I immediately rang Simon Jordon offering my condolences"

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Left?

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
a police spokesman has asked for anyone calling in with information regarding this incident to be patient as officers may currently be engaged with other business.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Was this caused by a chemical reaction between Stoke s**t and Port Vale s**t?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eye witnesses reported that a Stoke City supporter was showered in excrement as he passed near the toilet when it exploded. "The shit really did hit the fan", said Mrs Twatflap, a pensioner who was posting a letter to her son nearby when the incident occurred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here