Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's tactics against Newcastle?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Trossard pulled the centre halfs forward = loads of space for either or both of Welbeck or Maupay to move into - or if they stayed wide the full backs dare not cover for the centre halfs = still loads of space for likes of Moder to run into

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Welbeck/Maupay close/narrow when ball is with our defence.
Central defenders therefore mark them
Then as we move up the pitch, the go out wide.
Central defenders either leave them (so W/M have space and can receive ball).
If central defenders follow/mark them, that creates space in middle for Gross/Moder who cut in. Then Newcastle have to work out who to mark Gross/Moder.
I suspect a better oppo/manager would have gone to 3 a the back (with assisting wing backs to mark Welb/Maupay) to deal with this, 4 at the back would not work well.

This......the key also being Trossard's role in the centre of M & W, with Lallana behind him directing everything. Bruce was absolutely flummoxed, and so were his players. Joyous to watch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potter is very brave. Play only 3 defenders in a massive 6 pointer. Not many managers would do that.

This was not your normal back 3 made up of centre backs either. It was like one centre back and two full backs, very clever. Only Dunk stayed back, Veltman and White were expected to run the flanks.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This. What it boils down to was Potter thought about what Bruce would do and set up for it. Bruce didn't do anything other than be incredibly predictable, and so played straight into Potter's hands.

Not so much a master class in tactics but one manager doing a little research and one completely out of his depth.

Seeing and reading Bruce’s comments after the match, I was amazed how naive he seemed and how he almost disrespected us by not knowing what to expect, thereby showing he/they had not done their research. People like Klopp and Guardiola - and probably every other Premier League manager, would know we’ve got some decent players and can cause them problems.

I’ve seen lots of comments about him being a decent and honest bloke, which I accept totally, but to be so unable to respond is pretty dire.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By my powers of deduction, I think I may have worked it out; Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.

:thumbsup:

Easy.

What is the actual matter with people? ???

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Seeing and reading Bruce’s comments after the match, I was amazed how naive he seemed and how he almost disrespected us by not knowing what to expect, thereby showing he/they had not done their research. People like Klopp and Guardiola - and probably every other Premier League manager, would know we’ve got some decent players and can cause them problems.

I’ve seen lots of comments about him being a decent and honest bloke, which I accept totally, but to be so unable to respond is pretty dire.

It's almost as if he doesn't want the job anymore...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It seemed to be a well drilled 3-5-2 with the two strikers moving wide to create space for any of the 5 to appear through the middle. What was most impressive was when Veltman or White joined in attacking due to the positioning of Bissouma & Lallana

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hmmm, quite. The number of times he said "no disrespect to Brighton but", which- in the same way that saying "I'm not being racist but..." is inevitably followed by something really quite racist- was essentially him repeatedly disrespecting the Albion. Principally by whimpering that he "didn't expect" us to be so far ahead in possession terms (for example).

Anyone who's watched a single episode of MOTD in the last six months will know exactly how Brighton & Hove Albion operate in terms of possession, therefore for Bruce to say this came as a a shock to him suggests he's been self-isolating in an experimental human colony on Mars for a year.

Which at least might explain his team's apparent lack of any sort of direction or tactical awareness, I guess.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hodgson and Allardyce were branded tactical geniuses on this very board for getting results against us - and yet their only difference with Bruce is that they caught us missing chances for fun. In some respects I felt Newcastle defended better than both as we really didn’t have as many absolute clear cut chances to be fair to Bruce.

I don't agree. Hodgson and Allardyce both parked the bus, ceding us space in front of them and on the wings, allowing us to create more chances, but of poorer quality because we were repeatedly shooting in or through packed spaces. Bruce's Newcastle were unambitious, but failed to pack the central spaces. Tactically, their approach was stupid and gave them the worst of both worlds, not positioning their midfield to help the low block, but still not pushing up on the ball to try to force turnovers. Whereas Palace and WBA parked the bus, Newcastle seemed to have parked Sonny Corleone's Lincoln Continental.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This.
There’s no denying Newcastle we’re shite, but there isn’t a huge amount coming our way crediting us for making them look so poor, so easily....

Same as most games, "worst we have played all season blah blah blah" said by opposing fans, managers and some pundits about most teams we have played this season, at least runaway champions elect gave us credit we deserved when we were unlucky not to win a point yet even some of our fans still think City were only in first gear.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Hmmm, quite. The number of times he said "no disrespect to Brighton but", which- in the same way that saying "I'm not being racist but..." is inevitably followed by something really quite racist- was essentially him repeatedly disrespecting the Albion. Principally by whimpering that he "didn't expect" us to be so far ahead in possession terms (for example).

Anyone who's watched a single episode of MOTD in the last six months will know exactly how Brighton & Hove Albion operate in terms of possession, therefore for Bruce to say this came as a a shock to him suggests he's been self-isolating in an experimental human colony on Mars for a year.

Which at least might explain his team's apparent lack of any sort of direction or tactical awareness, I guess.

the vision of Bruce trying to squeeze into a space suit is now stuck in my head .....thanks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the vision of Bruce trying to squeeze into a space suit is now stuck in my head .....thanks.

Better that than Bruce without a space suit :ohmy:

2718632700000578-0-image-a-11_1427667742302.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If anyone finds an article or podcast explaining the wizardry that Potter performed with his tactics then please share it.

Myself, Steve Bruce and the Newcastle defence are still trying to work it out.

MOTD showed a graphic of a few occasions when Welbeck was wide left, Maupay was wide right, with Moder arriving late in the middle.
It was clearly a masterclass but it has still left me struggling to understand what the hell was happening and who was supposed to be doing what.

One highlight of the evening was when Dubravka took time to get treatment and the camera focused on Steve Bruce, Graeme Jones and the Newcastle players trying to fathom out who should be doing what.

Don't ask me to explain it, I still can't work out the feet for a Gross turn!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We have created a new position on the pitch that allows a player to hang around, keeps popping up, and no matter how often the opposition try to tackle him, he will not go away.
He is called a floater.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here