Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haha.. its not gonna be cheap, no. I've got no clue about how Potter responds to a big wallet. In Östersund they only signed rejects or random talents and in Swansea the board tried to sell Daniel James for £1m to Leeds in January for liquidity reasons, pretty much says everything about the size of their wallet.

With the investments in academy and hiring of Potter etc I could see Brighton trying to become the Ajax of England which is a very clever way of reducing costs long term. When Ajax had their last Cruyff-led internal reorganisation in 2010-11 they often had economical deficits a lot of years and decided to invest more in the youth academy and less on established players. Today you really see the payoff both on the pitch and in the economy. If the talents of Brighton develop as they should we could see a lot fewer established players coming in than you would expect.

I think Tony would like that....a lot!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Burn is light years ahead of Bong with regards to how we want to play, even as a makeshift left back,you must see that, I prefer Burn in a left side of a 3.

Bernado will be interesting when fully fit under GP, I have high hopes, keeping my fingers crossed.

I must disagree with you as I think that Bong is light years ahead of Burn as a defender and not much difference going forward but neither are as good as Bernardo. I think that Burn is a liability that every team attacks down their right/ our left.

I cannot wait to see Bernardo back.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I must disagree with you as I think that Bong is light years ahead of Burn as a defender and not much difference going forward but neither are as good as Bernardo. I think that Burn is a liability that every team attacks down their right/ our left.

That explains why Klopp had them attacking down the left/ our right then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where did the first goal come from? I will tell you a a tackle by Gross to stop Liverpool attacking down the right with TAA The 2nd was from a corner so no relevance. It must be remembered that ;Liverpool are the only team that have 2 equally good full backs who can get forward and put in crosses.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Potterball seen so far is pretty light compared to what we will see later on. Several of the potterball traits seen in Östersund and even Swansea (where he had a, compared to Brighton, younger squad that was easier to transform) are not yet present in Brighton. Some of the potterball traits may be very difficult to perform in the PL, but there is definitely more to come.

The current Brighton squad is one of the worst in the PL from a Potterball perspective. There is no midfielder, except maybe Alzate, who performs penetrating runs. The wingers and wing backs are slow. The strikers are decent but incapable of doing any type of target man tasks.

The Brighton way of Potterball as it is now is pretty far from what it will be in the long run.

This. Fullbacks with little PL pace costs us.

Other than Bernardo?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Where did the first goal come from? I will tell you a a tackle by Gross to stop Liverpool attacking down the right with TAA The 2nd was from a corner so no relevance. It must be remembered that ;Liverpool are the only team that have 2 equally good full backs who can get forward and put in crosses.

What the feck are you talking about? What I remembered about the first goal was Gross giving the ball away in the middle of the pitch, so I've just watched the sequence of play back on the NBC website. TAA initially plays a ball into the box, which is cleared, with Dunk playing the ball up to Connolly in the centre circle. TAA starts to jog with Mooy back towards his own half. Connolly loses out to van Dijk but the ball falls to Gross, who turns. However, his touch is poor and Henderson intercepts it with the ball falling for A OC. Gross, in trying to make up for his mistake, then fouls OC. TAA is forty yards away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Montoya is not slow either?

We’re going to have to agree to disagree, and not end up in a blazing row!

In defending at PL level, I think he’s noticeably slow. I’ve been at numerous Albion matches where the opposing left winger skins him for fun. Not just once. Redmond in both Amex games, Fraser, O’Neil, etc.

Strangely, he demonstrates more pace attacking with the ball, the best part of his game.

IMHO.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
We’re going to have to agree to disagree, and not end up in a blazing row!

In defending at PL level, I think he’s noticeably slow. I’ve been at numerous Albion matches where the opposing left winger skins him for fun. Not just once. Redmond in both Amex games, Fraser, O’Neil, etc.

Strangely, he demonstrates more pace attacking with the ball, the best part of his game.

IMHO.

Blimey

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Montoya's biggest problem? He's not Bruno. A prime Bruno would still be our RB even now... *sigh*.

A fully fit Bernardo is still our first choice LB, I would hope anyway. Take nothing away from Burn but as alluded to by others, we need some more pace in that area.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What the feck are you talking about? What I remembered about the first goal was Gross giving the ball away in the middle of the pitch, so I've just watched the sequence of play back on the NBC website. TAA initially plays a ball into the box, which is cleared, with Dunk playing the ball up to Connolly in the centre circle. TAA starts to jog with Mooy back towards his own half. Connolly loses out to van Dijk but the ball falls to Gross, who turns. However, his touch is poor and Henderson intercepts it with the ball falling for A OC. Gross, in trying to make up for his mistake, then fouls OC. TAA is forty yards away.

I have to accept your version as I was talking from memory as opposed to from play backs but I thought it was TAA who made the pass not Henderson.
This doesnt however alter my opinion of Burn and his defensive liability. He is 6ft 6in tall and I would ask has he ever won a header when challenged, I cannot remember one.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

The first came from a free kick on the right side of the box centre of midfield nothing to do with Burn either. The second was from a corner. What are you banging on about. They constantly attacked on Montoyas wing.

Edit as for headers the two who lost them for the goals were Webster and Dunk you could also say they would avoid a ball towards Burn.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The Potterball seen so far is pretty light compared to what we will see later on. Several of the potterball traits seen in Östersund and even Swansea (where he had a, compared to Brighton, younger squad that was easier to transform) are not yet present in Brighton. Some of the potterball traits may be very difficult to perform in the PL, but there is definitely more to come.

The current Brighton squad is one of the worst in the PL from a Potterball perspective. There is no midfielder, except maybe Alzate, who performs penetrating runs. The wingers and wing backs are slow. The strikers are decent but incapable of doing any type of target man tasks.

The Brighton way of Potterball as it is now is pretty far from what it will be in the long run.

Very interesting and thank you Swansman for passing on your perspective.

I’ve said on here fairly often that assuming we stay up I can see this summer being a fundamental and potentially massive overhaul in terms of players ins/outs.

It will be fascinating to see what GP will do with a few windows under his belt. I wonder if he has his eye on any other youth prospects, or what signings he’s targeting. Then you have Ben white and the other loans, MacAllister and Tau etc.

Trust the doctor, trust GP.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The first came from a free kick on the right side of the box centre of midfield nothing to do with Burn either. The second was from a corner. What are you banging on about. They constantly attacked on Montoyas wing.

Edit as for headers the two who lost them for the goals were Webster and Dunk you could also say they would avoid a ball towards Burn.

That's interesting because I am sure that someone on MOTD said that Leicester had also targeted his side.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

lol

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Now my grey matter may not be as good as yours, and I might be wrong, but my feeling is more goals have come from their left down our right side. :shrug:

Montoya is more of weak link imho on our right than Burn has been on our left. As for liability, that is incredibly harsh for a centre half that has converted into playing in a 3, as the wingback in front of a 3 and a conventional left back. Rather than call him a liability, I think his versatility has been a great asset for the team and he's shown great aptitude for adapting to whatever tactics we're playing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s not just me, this is often debated on NSC, with many rating MM a brilliant FB with exceptional pace, the other half the same opinion as me.

I hope we invest in a RB next summer.

Whilst others see MM as a world class FB, as good or better than Bruno.

Re Montoya and pace.

The way I see it, if the 20 first choice premier league right backs had a foot race over 20, 50 or 100 metres, Montoya would finish in the top half. I just think because he's not as good positionally as most of them and doesn't always anticipate as well as he should, you quite often see him 5 yards behind some nippy winger. That's why people think he looks slow.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Montoya's biggest problem? He's not Bruno. A prime Bruno would still be our RB even now... *sigh*.

A fully fit Bernardo is still our first choice LB, I would hope anyway. Take nothing away from Burn but as alluded to by others, we need some more pace in that area.

For a good while, Bruno got stick because he is not Calde

Montoya has his good moments, but for nearing a decade we've had a talismanic right back and now we don't, so yes it's noticeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here