Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball failure?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The first sub killed us - then taking off Trossard meant we lost almost all width and any kind of pace. But then again Potter only has the team he has to work with.

IMO if we stay up there is a good 3-4 players that need replacing to fit in with Potter style of play

Lol I knew all those people who had Hughton derangement syndrome would also be among the first to turn on Potter

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I agree that today wasn't great, but lets not forget Potterball is the way forward, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Since hitting the big time with Chris Hughton, we've come along way pretty quickly and before you know it, we're in our third season in the PL.
I think that the Goldstone generation on here are more patient (???), but the younger generation Albion fans, might need to be a bit patient.
All IMO of course :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Push the boat out and get hold of Giroud on loan until the end of the season and play him up front with Maupay in a 1-5-3-2 . Use the full backs as overlapping wingers and the three in midfield ensuring we don’t get overrun. Mix up Potter’s style of play with occasional quick break, direct forays.
If we don’t pick up decent points in the next 4 weeks we are going to have some serious problems.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can tell you 100% he is not correct - I have explained in another thread what happens. That example shown gives no breakdown of how many staff that related to in any given accounting period. There are many high earning Employees who leave Clubs not just Managers/Coaches.

There is a formula adhered to an it is NOT 100% pay up of salary - Formulas are for the most part agreed to by the LMA and the Clubs to deter Litigation. That why you only get 1 or 2 cases going as far as the Litigation process and even the ones that do. Even they never win full 100% payouts.

The only one I have ever heard of who ever got 100% payout was Kevin Keegan when he terminated his post at Newcastle

Man Utd made a statement that the compensation went to Mourinho and his team, perhaps because it’s a material transaction and they are listed on the NY Stock Exchange?

Is it possible that they accrued the maximum payable (accounting prudence)?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree that today wasn't great, but lets not forget Potterball is the way forward, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Since hitting the big time with Chris Hughton, we've come along way pretty quickly and before you know it, we're in our third season in the PL.
I think that the Goldstone generation on here are more patient (???), but the younger generation Albion fans, might need to be a bit patient.
All IMO of course :thumbsup:

You didn’t have to endure the second half today.

Sitting in your allotment’s luxurious and heated Man Cave, sipping G&T’s, planning your 2020 planting schemes.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I'm trying to cross off the words on this seasons bingo card...can I cross off the word "panic" yet or are we just at "striker"?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We still need a quicker CM, a forward and a full back but I've given up any hope of us signing these in January now.

We should get Alexis Macalister back in the summer (if we're still in the PL), and stories that we tried to get him back this Jan but can't as he met clause threshold of playing more than 50% of games.

Doesn't help us now, but could be good next year if we can survive?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Three points above the Relegation Zone is a decent haul of points at this stage of the season.

The only negative side to where everyone is in their own headspace is that no one is making any attempt to ''Manage Expectations'' at the Club

To his credit today in an interview just before the Match - Paul Barber came out and tried to do so but that is the first time. I think fans just got swept up in the sway of the early positive displays and started to try and reach for something that maybe wasn't achievable just yet.

Those early performances possibly took opposing Managers by shock because they hadn't expected Brighton to play the way that they have been doing. It was always gonna come that they would set up to combat it.

There are still loads of points to play for and the position the team is in can probably afford to lose two games and still be outside the Relegation Zone so I think the panic shown today on here and this thread is slightly premature

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes I think, we think we are a lot better than we actually are.

We are clever at our passing game, which the radio 5 live commentator said after the game, but really struggle with teams running at us and obviously converting what little chances we create.

I don’t think we will go down, but finding another 15 points will be difficult as the really bad month for games is approaching

That radio5 person hit the nail on the head.

Whilst we passed intricately around the back and midfield, Villa had that patient look about them (apologies, used by terrorists) .... “We’ve only got to get lucky once”. Grealish and Trezeguet in particular lie in wait for those blunders, and so it came to be.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Man Utd made a statement that the compensation went to Mourinho and his team, perhaps because it’s a material transaction and they are listed on the NY Stock Exchange?

Is it possible that they accrued the maximum payable (accounting prudence)?

Yes but that figure in no way would account for a full payup of all of the Management team for however long they all had left on their contracts. How many Coaching staff ? Some Managers have their own Dieticians, some also have their own Sports Psychologists as well as coaches, goalkeeping coaches - What did they all have left on their contracts. Three years or something ? - There is no way that £20m would cover 3 years contracts of all the Entourage that Coaches like Mourhino bring with them.

Trust me there is an almost a 100% adhered to formula laid out which clubs for the most part follow and formulas differ only based on what division a Club might be playing at. Yes they would probably have to lay it out separately on a set of accounts as you suggest because it is a Publicly listed company but that in no way indicates that they paid Contracts up in full.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m still in favour of Potter, some of the football we’ve witnessed has been superb, but a few things are really bugging me:

- Continual rotation of players, hard for someone like Jahanbakhsh to get some form of players are in and out all of the time.
- Alzate, let the kid have one position, he’s young and it can’t benefit him if he’s playing three different positions in one game.
- Wheeling Murray out as the plan B.
- Narrow formation, we offer nothing on the flanks, no pace and no width makes us very easy to defend against.
- Set pieces, just a bit crap really.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Should have brought Murray on earlier for connelly. One striker with about half hour to go. **** off Potter. Clown.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im out. Was a big advocate but actually its all Emporers new clothes for me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We were 1-0 up at half-time playing Potterball. We just had a very poor second half. Mooy had a bad game, he looked like he was wading through treacle. Personally, I think this whole Andone/Locadia business is beginning to bite us on the arse. We need a striker.

He did, but every time he got the ball there were 3 Villa players onto him so good though he is, he isn't that good.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I’m still in favour of Potter, some of the football we’ve witnessed has been superb, but a few things are really bugging me:

- Continual rotation of players, hard for someone like Jahanbakhsh to get some form of players are in and out all of the time.
- Alzate, let the kid have one position, he’s young and it can’t benefit him if he’s playing three different positions in one game.
- Wheeling Murray out as the plan B.
- Narrow formation, we offer nothing on the flanks, no pace and no width makes us very easy to defend against.
- Set pieces, just a bit crap really.
- Continually playing it out from the back, losing the ball and setting up the opposition with yet another chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here