Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball failure?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You've just repeated the same point I've made. I think Potter does make mistakes but that doesn't mean his overall project is in any way flawed

And if we go down the project still isn't flawed eh ? There's a real possibility we could go down.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You've just repeated the same point I've made. I think Potter does make mistakes but that doesn't mean his overall project is in any way flawed

At the end of the day managers are only as good as the squads they have and given the transfer mistakes of the past few years Potter needed plenty of money to overhaul his - and he probably hasn't had enough yet

The difference being, that I don't agree people have started blaming him for everything.

It's not getting anywhere near that bad, it's merely the honeymoon period is coming to an end, and people are picking up on what isn't working out as well as we'd hoped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. And even more worrying is whether we have been rumbled, and a way to play us has been worked out.

We have no width, and seemingly, no ability to switch to a system of using any width. It all comes through the middle, so you pack the midfield, over-run us in that area, as Villa and Everton have done in consecutive games, and watch our game plan disintegrate. We are slow to react by adding further numbers to the midfield, and never stretch the midfield by adding width.

Totally agree, and Chris Wilder and Gary Monk had our number too. Win CM with numbers, pace and muscle.

Potter's obviously an intelligent coach, I'd hope he's got something up his sleeve for tonight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At least Hughton had 3-4 seasons before everyone started blaming him for everything. Same people I bet.

There is nothing wrong with what Potter is doing. He will make mistakes here and there but only the superfans think any managers are infallible

I can't see many wanting Potter out at all.

More a questioning of squad weaknesses, and tactical weaknesses driven by that squad.

The posts appear on the threads headlined about about Potter and Potterball, because they seem be where everyone's posting just now about our football.

You have to remember too that a couple of Palace trolls are chucking in stirring posts; one now banned.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Neal Maupay aerial duel success rate. 21.6% which is the worst in the EPL
Maybe we should be playing it along the ground getting him to run onto balls and not hoooofing them up expecting the little man to win them in the air.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Maybe we should be playing it along the ground getting him to run onto balls and not hoooofing them up expecting the little man to win them in the air.

Really? On a thread of "Potterball" you think we currently just hoof the ball up? a low % means he is short and not very good in the air, not an indicator of how we play.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Really? On a thread of "Potterball" you think we currently just hoof the ball up? a low % means he is short and not very good in the air, not an indicator of how we play.

We're also highest rated for long pass attempts but don't let facts get in the way of a good internet debate. And if you kept up, we've not been playing "potterball" for some time now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

What I’ve seen of AJ it looks like an option to use him to fizz in low crosses. He does seem to have a better cross on him than just about any other player, but he hasn’t played much so hard to be sure.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We're also highest rated for long pass attempts but don't let facts get in the way of a good internet debate. And if you kept up, we've not been playing "potterball" for some time now.

Great comeback. To be fair that did surprise me a bit. Thought Burnley would take that accolade.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Fine, but define long pass for me.. you clearly believe that is simply a hoof... How about Dunk's assists for goals against Watford/Spurs, or Maupays goal vs. Wolves ? Long-passes don't always involve headed duels. As you unnecessarily state, "don't let facts....."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

When you say 'some time' do you mean way back to 01 Jan when we dominated 2nd half possession against Chelsea and pretty much matched them stat for stat across the entire game?

'Potterball' has also meant sides have pressed high trying to stop us playing, Bournemouth at home a case in point, so yeah we knocked some long passes into our attacking players in acres of space. Seemed to work then as I recall.

boik

When you say 'some time' do you mean way back to 01 Jan when we dominated 2nd half possession against Chelsea and pretty much matched them stat for stat across the entire game?

'Potterball' has also meant sides have pressed high trying to stop us playing, Bournemouth at home a case in point, so yeah we knocked some long passes into our attacking players in acres of space. Seemed to work then as I recall.

Chelsea was a very enlightening match for me. I watched the first half through my fingers and thought we would concede 3-4. Second half we dominated, and it seemed like a peek of what might be to come once Mr Potter and whatever players he needs get familiar with it all. I knew that this season was going to have ups and downs as players and manager got used to each other, but the ups have been far better than i expected, and downs are just what I was used to after last season. Still very much happy with the way things are going, despite bracing myself for a bumpy ride.

A lot of people discussing the atmosphere today, but to be fair there has been a distinct lack of goalmouth action over the last few seasons from us overall, and a hell of a lot of frustrating action in the final third. It's no surprise that the atmosphere has dropped off somewhat really

Hmmm cant say I disagree really. Sadly. We've been fantastic at times and bloody average for most! lol It's more enjoyable than being an arm chair fan mind.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
For 10 - 15 mins in that 2nd half after the subs came on we had a glimpse of how ‘Potterball’ should be, the fact that it was the 58th - 73rd min and after we were 2-0 down is a bit discerning but shows we can do it. It makes me wonder if GP has slipped into CH’s mindset of fear of losing and sets up accordingly.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Clearly we have goalscoring problems.
We need to start again with Dunk and Duffy together and Propper is nowhere near as good as he can be when Stephens is on the pitch with him.
Still a fan of Potterball but it needs a shake up as it's gone stale.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When was the last time we broke through for a one on one with the keeper?

Quick through balls splitting defences. Never happens too intent in batting ourselves into our own corner flags. It’s shite Potter.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
didnt like what i saw live on Saturday or today on a stream
but i am still a fan
i trust him to sort it out
and he will have quite a few opportunities to do it
ask me again after Palace at home

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
For 10 - 15 mins in that 2nd half after the subs came on we had a glimpse of how ‘Potterball’ should be, the fact that it was the 58th - 73rd min and after we were 2-0 down is a bit discerning but shows we can do it. It makes me wonder if GP has slipped into CH’s mindset of fear of losing and sets up accordingly.
Blame CH why not? The guy that took us from nothing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here