Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Maybe holding out for the City job when Pep eventually quits.
What a great position to be in that the manager has such high ambitions and that Tony highlighted early what potential Potter has and tied him down to a long term contract.
Palace on the other hand.......

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It strikes me as a bit odd that PL clubs are paying £40M-£50M plus for players, yet balk at paying £20M for a manager.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It strikes me as a bit odd that PL clubs are paying £40M-£50M plus for players, yet balk at paying £20M for a manager.
That will be because there is no resale value for a manager unless he's poached.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

With very few exceptions, there's not much evidence that any particular manager does much to effect results in the medium to long term.

The major benefit comes from having a manager who fits into the overall approach and ethos of the club, so they're only part of a larger whole - think Guardiola or Klopp at City and Liverpool. Those sort of appointments are normally lined up in advance, rather than poaching them from another club. I gather City were waiting for Pep for years, and we had our eyes on Potter's progress for a good while as well.

Some clubs, it's fair to say, aren't that well run.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maybe holding out for the City job when Pep eventually quits.
What a great position to be in that the manager has such high ambitions and that Tony highlighted early what potential Potter has and tied him down to a long term contract.
Palace on the other hand.......

What a visionary Tony is, he recognised GP’s talent very early on and then gave the huge contract extension. He’s backed and believed in him ever since then, even during some of our bad runs earlier in the season.

Some chairman would have booted GP back in early December, not Tony.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People were surprised Potter got a 6 year deal but with it comes heavy compensation. Tony has played a blinder - an ordinary 3 year deal and Spurs might have paid that up.

He's only played a blinder if GPott is more than a bottom 6 Premier League manager.

Now like many on here I think, and I certainly hope, he is.
But if he isn't then Mr Bloom will be having to give Mr Potter a £15m Christmas present.

I already can't wait for the season, so much so in fact I'm contemplating going to Burnley!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In a year's time, without moving anywhere, he'll be managing a top 4 club.

I know he 'proved his doubters wrong' but I still don't buy into OGS.
I can't shake the feeling last season Utd were decent in spite of him, not because of him.

Assuming GPott does have the 21/22 we all think he's on the cusp of then I think that'll be his next home dugout, and they'd be on pissing around with that deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If I owned Spurs or Everton, I’d be driving to Brighton with the cash in the boot (of my big Bentley) :wink:

Throws a different slant on “drive him there myself”

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
With a win rate of 49% in nearly 800 league matches, and 27 years managing, shouldn’t you be referring to Potter as a Favresque type manager ?

No because Favre has never managed Brighton, so from the perspective I am viewing things he is a Potteresque manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here