Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter pre-Aston Villa press conference

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a Swedish saying, ketchupeffekt,
meaning not much happens for ages then alot happens all at once.

It is Swedish? I would have thought we imported that from Foreignland... he probably thought so to. Cute.

No danger on the roof though, the journalists probably understood it easy as a pancake unless they dont have all the horses at home and take a shit in the blue cupboard.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He doesn’t particularly like all the media stuff but it goes with the territory . So hard as it is for him it’ll be easier with a couple of wins back to back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Must win for me this, otherwise he's gotta go.

Of course its a must win game for you. Its your catchphrase. I recommend swapping it - I read some book that said that "must" is a word that cause a lot of stress, pressure and anxiety in the user. Maybe go for "should"?

Burnley
Solid at the back;9580793[B said:
]A must win[/B] game this evening, otherwise I really think the wheels will fall off. Naturally I am pessimistic person, and I really think Burnley will be in our faces and up for this. They've got a habbit of winning games they can't afford to lose. 0-2 Burnley. No doubt atomised will quote me moaning at my positive opinions again.
WBA
Why did shit Gross come on? We are clueless and are getting relegated, shameful performance in a must win game. Players and Potter should hang their heads in shame
Saints
And our game is now must win. Great.
Norwich
I agree. It's a must win game. But when was the last time we won one of those? Its been a very long time, and I'm not optimistic about this one either. If we stay up, I think it'll be down to our GD, we just need to hope we can protect it
Sheffield
Must win game this, come on boys
West Ham
Must win this game.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I really dont see the point in a lot of these press conferences, unless something major has happened there really is nothing to say. Quick injury update, and thats it . a quick press statement wiould be as informative, and save a lot of time and effort- what was the point of the Pep question ffs?

Exactly. Unless a journo is going to ask: "So Graham, where was Alexis when he caught Covid", or " was there a real reason in playing Tross as striker, or was it just to piss off Maups a bit?", or similar questions...there really isn't much point!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Real problem is the journalists are not there to talk about Brighton really most of them are there in the hope he says something like Jack Grealish is a diving little shit so they can get a real headline that's of interest to neutrals and Villa fans. Apart from us no one is interested in whether we are playing 3 or 4 at the back or what we've been working in in training...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree boring questions that can be predicted. Its a pity like covid news conferences they cant fit in questions from public. Why did Sanchez come in for just one game, Why didnt he say post match against Sheffield we were crap instead of praising them, Why did we end up against Sheffield with Burns at CF. March gets very few crosses in so has he considered playing him on right so he can cut inside and shoot. Does he always start with 3 at back so he can keep all CBs happy.. Has he ever seen Burn play at CB. Since Duffy went why do we win so few headers at corners.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Real problem is the journalists are not there to talk about Brighton really most of them are there in the hope he says something like Jack Grealish is a diving little shit so they can get a real headline that's of interest to neutrals and Villa fans. Apart from us no one is interested in whether we are playing 3 or 4 at the back or what we've been working in in training...

Mostly true. Sky, Premier League Productions, talkSPORT etc have a national audience to consider, but Jonny Cantor will ask questions more relevant to a Brighton audience.

It's the same with the cameras-off sections that aren't put out on the website. Reporters from the national dailies will usually ask about stuff that is relevant beyond the Sussex boundary - and that includes players that non-Albion fans will have heard of such as Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck - because their readers might then give it a glance, while Brian Owen, Derren Howard and Andy Naylor will ask about formations,and players that only we are interested in.

Generally that's also true at press conferences held by other clubs outside the top six. But some managers are better at sounding engaged than others. Moyes, Bilic, even Hasenhuttl and Dyche. And you would seldom leave a Pardew or Redknapp press conference without a couple of interesting lines. We've been unlucky in having two successive managers who are cautious and largely unquotable.

DavePage

Mostly true. Sky, Premier League Productions, talkSPORT etc have a national audience to consider, but Jonny Cantor will ask questions more relevant to a Brighton audience.

It's the same with the cameras-off sections that aren't put out on the website. Reporters from the national dailies will usually ask about stuff that is relevant beyond the Sussex boundary - and that includes players that non-Albion fans will have heard of such as Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck - because their readers might then give it a glance, while Brian Owen, Derren Howard and Andy Naylor will ask about formations,and players that only we are interested in.

Generally that's also true at press conferences held by other clubs outside the top six. But some managers are better at sounding engaged than others. Moyes, Bilic, even Hasenhuttl and Dyche. And you would seldom leave a Pardew or Redknapp press conference without a couple of interesting lines. We've been unlucky in having two successive managers who are cautious and largely unquotable.

Looking at those names, isn’t that a good thing?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He certainly is strarting to look pretty pissed off these days in interviews. I wonder what the mood will be like after the next 4 games if we fail to get anything, which sadly is quite likely?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Looking at those names, isn’t that a good thing?

Well, it depends, of course. If you want to see your manager quoted in the national press and on Sky Sports News, then it's not. But if you like your club to avoid controversy then it's perfect. Redknapp used his knowledge of what the media want as a way of deflecting attention from any failings or controversies at clubs he was managing, but also the make sure the media stayed on his side. Pardew also liked to keep the press friendly but he also liked to keep himself in the public eye. Mourinho, of course, tries to influence whoever is refereeing his team's next match.

These days when everything is on Zoom it's different but in the good old days of face-to-face press conferences, the most effective ones happened where you were on eye level with the manager rather than with him above you behind a podium. It makes a difference, I think. Wenger, Moyes, Hodgson, Parker, Mourinho good - Sarri, Potter, Pearson not so much.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Of course its a must win game for you. Its your catchphrase. I recommend swapping it - I read some book that said that "must" is a word that cause a lot of stress, pressure and anxiety in the user. Maybe go for "should"?

Burnley

WBA

Saints

Norwich

Sheffield

West Ham

That is very impressive that you have to time to go through my posts like that, well done.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Perhaps a little harsh, but I do wonder at what point Bloom will say "I've had enough", or even if he will???

i don't think he will ...GP is here for the long term , regardless of whether we stay up or drop down , we'll beat liverpool next week and he'll be the best thing since sliced bread ...:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here