Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter, after defeat, sucked his teeth and said “it is what it is, we’ll take the positives.”

I thought you were an EXPERT. :moo:
Yes, that happened on occasion as well. Of course, taking positives, learning from mistakes and improving to become better are not exactly NSC values, but Tony seemed to think it was a reasonable concept, and it worked out quite well in the end.

One day people are going to look at games like the loss against Villa and say "you know what, we really weren't that fantastic" and the spell will be broken.

I look forward to it in the sense that we're going to be able to discuss the team in a more balanced manner once this cult of personality thing around RDZ dies down a bit. Things like the set piece thread posted today could be very interesting to discuss, but not as long as people feel like their God is getting attacked when people mention that one or two aspects of the football isn't perfect... or even fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, he has done a great job so far but all of this "De Zerbi Cam", "we're never going to struggle breaking down bad teams again because we have De Zerbi", "De Zerbi is going to take us to Europe", "De Zerbi thinks we're the best and we agree"... its a car crash waiting to happen. I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll see poor runs even from Zerbis Brighton, and the huge fall from these "De Zerbi will take us to Europe" ideas might mean people will get on his back, more so than was ever the case with Graham. Of course, when that happens I will defend the Zerbian qualities as he is neither the God you think he is now, nor the villain most managers becomes at some point or another.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and Brighton goes to Europe etc. but I'm firmly holding my horses.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. You get it.

Each time I'm told Graham Potter is shite or whatever, I will say that I watched his job in Brighton for three years and that he and his team did very well, playing nice football, developing players and the team, and getting ok or good results. That this is now labelled "wrong"... well, thats your take; I'll defend my view similar to how others defend theirs.
He hugely improved us.

But as someone who only goes to home games, fkn hell there was disappointment after disappointment. 4 hours out of our lives to see yet another draw or loss, goals a rarity. He was treated fairly by the majority of supporters over that …. Bloom was blamed for tightness over strikers.

Nevertheless, it was soul destroying.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter now has Englands best wing backs at his disposal his teams are built around wing backs his preferred formation at Brighton was three at the back, Potter had early success at Chelsea with a three after we beat them he’s gone with a four in every game. since.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, that happened on occasion as well. Of course, taking positives, learning from mistakes and improving to become better are not exactly NSC values, but Tony seemed to think it was a reasonable concept, and it worked out quite well in the end.

One day people are going to look at games like the loss against Villa and say "you know what, we really weren't that fantastic" and the spell will be broken.

I look forward to it in the sense that we're going to be able to discuss the team in a more balanced manner once this cult of personality thing around RDZ dies down a bit. Things like the set piece thread posted today could be very interesting to discuss, but not as long as people feel like their God is getting attacked when people mention that one or two aspects of the football isn't perfect... or even fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, he has done a great job so far but all of this "De Zerbi Cam", "we're never going to struggle breaking down bad teams again because we have De Zerbi", "De Zerbi is going to take us to Europe", "De Zerbi thinks we're the best and we agree"... its a car crash waiting to happen. I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll see poor runs even from Zerbis Brighton, and the huge fall from these "De Zerbi will take us to Europe" ideas might mean people will get on his back, more so than was ever the case with Graham. Of course, when that happens I will defend the Zerbian qualities as he is neither the God you think he is now, nor the villain most managers becomes at some point or another.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and Brighton goes to Europe etc. but I'm firmly holding my horses.
I was joking. Have a vodka and put the keyboard down for a second

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. You get it.

Each time I'm told Graham Potter is shite or whatever, I will say that I watched his job in Brighton for three years and that he and his team did very well, playing nice football, developing players and the team, and getting ok or good results. That this is now labelled "wrong"... well, thats your take; I'll defend my view similar to how others defend theirs.
He absolutely wasn’t shite. He improved us massively, but it took time. He had a chairman, CEO and fanbase that were prepared to put up with long spells of dull and frustrating football because the majority could see we were improving. Problem is, just as he seemed to have found the magic formula, he fvcked off to the first big club that fluttered their eyelids and offered him 5x his salary, and he gutted the whole coaching team in the process.

He’s a self-centred mercenary, like most in football. Probably got a Masters in it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In what way does he expect more?

GP after pretty much every single defeat - "we have to learn and improve".
RDZ after pretty much (not Charlton) every single defeat - "we played fantastic, I want to congratulate my players. I don't like the ref"

One of them usually after a defeat usually says that they themselves are at fault and need to improve and get better, the other says that the team was fantastic but f***ed over by the ref.

Imho the former way of seeing it is the more ambitious one. "Its our fault, we need to get learn and improve" vs "We're fantastic, can't get any better, and everything is that damn refs fault".

But again, this is a bit like me walking into The Manson Familys supporter forum and claiming that Jim Jones is an equally fine cult leader.
i'm prefering the ambition to win more games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I very much enjoyed Paul Robinson (I guess the Lassiter's work has dried up) on wireless co-coms.

He had a bee in his bonnet about Chelsea not having a #9.

'They are playing great up till the final third, but with no #9 they just can't make the final pass.
They don't want to take a risk.
Preferring to keep possession than taking a chance'.

Oh bless him - nowt to with the players sunshine.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Yup. Funny how the world works.

If results are all about the manager then...

Potter's last 13 league games:
P13 W8 D3 L2 F25 A9 PTS 26

RDZ's first 13 league games:
P13 W5 D3 L5 F26 A22 PTS 18

(bit outdated as RDZ now has 15 or 16 (?) games in charge but just stole the numbers someone posted here a while ago.

Surely if the "better manager, better results" thing is true, then Chelsea would be close to relegation with RDZ in charge and Brighton would be a very serious contender for a top 4 position with Graham in charge?

Football is a bit more complicated than that though.
Swanny, I like you as a poster but let’s not drag this sho
This. You get it.

I don’t think many, if any are saying GP was shite, he wasn’t, he was great imho, I was gutted when he left,I think many are saying they prefer RDZ, who is also great. Whether he’s better or not is up for debate. What is clear, is we as Brighton fans are very happy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still fighting the good fight @Swansman . At some point you'll realise that you don't actually have to reply. You can accept that others may have a different opinion to you . . . and that is okay. Graham will still continue to not know who you are (until he does and starts to seek legal assistance).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here