Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Nice bit of retrospective narrative-building there. You clearly don't remember the long dreary periods of possession-for-possession's sake, the endless tinkering, the weekly 'no end product in the final third' press mantra. As many others have honestly noted, turning up to watch a Potter side often felt like a chore. Not many could honestly say that about watching a RDZ side. I guess everybody sees what they want to see :shrug:
It's not retrospective narrative building to say we improved under Potter from the Hughton era and De Zerbi has improved us further from there. Of course, there were some dire patches under Potter but as others have said they were fewer and far less grim that those under Hughton.

My point is, none of our Premier League managers have bad, and each one has been a progression on the last. I really don't see that as controversial

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's not retrospective narrative building to say we improved under Potter from the Hughton era and De Zerbi has improved us further from there. Of course, there were some dire patches under Potter but as others have said they were fewer and far less grim that those under Hughton.

My point is, none of our Premier League managers have bad, and each one has been a progression on the last. I really don't see that as controversial
I think everyone on here acknowledges those facts and are not disputing them to be fair.
The issues are now he has gone, we can take off those rose coloured Potter spectacles and acknowledge the facts we went long periods of winless runs & frustrating draws. We can also now call him out about several comments while the manger of our club and since he left.
We can also acknowledge he was not the chosen one, not the messiah, he had his faults and perhaps the backroom staff should also be given a lot more credit for upgrading on each appointment, rather than previously thinking it was just the manager that got us to our highest position.

Me personally, I was never in love with Potter, I found him frustrating in team selection and formations sometimes, I found his press interviews dull and uninspiring, but I am a mere supporter with a lowly opinion that I acknowledge is not the best position to judge from, because I love the club, not the manager or the players, they all come and go, and luckily we are in a golden period, where it seems, nearly every replacement is an upgrade including the managers and it is wonderful.
Having said that I am grateful to every manager who helped us get to this position, and every player that pulled on the stripes and tried, even if they were shite.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Whilst Potter was with us I was always under the impression that club were reluctant to sign a new striker, now having watched Chelsea go absolutely berserk in the market and not sign a striker I’m starting to think it’s a Potter thing rather than Bloom not sanctioning a purchase. We know he loves to dominate possession, but does he really achieve it by sacrificing an actual striker? Before he left us we’d shifted Maupay leaving us, at the time, with Undav and Welbeck, he’s now running incredibly thin on strikers at Chelsea. Is his wet dream a team full of attacking midfielders who simply dominate the ball in the hope that one of them can actually finish a chance every once in a while?
Clearly fallen out with Aubameyang on significant wages who probably thinks Potter is like a standby teacher who commands little respect.

Maybe Potter wants to make his life difficult at Chelsea.
After all, if he wanted an easy life he would have stayed at Brighton, or so he delights in reminding everyone who will listen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clearly fallen out with Aubameyang on significant wages who probably thinks Potter is like a standby teacher who commands little respect.

Maybe Potter wants to make his life difficult at Chelsea.
After all, if he wanted an easy life he would have stayed at Brighton, or so he delights in reminding everyone who will listen.
If half-bright-benny wanted a bit of an easier life in the Champions League he could at least have included Aubameyang in his CL squad :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unsure if this is actually true tbh, putting style of play aside Potter was frequently breaking the wrong records with us.
Yep, certainly not how I remember it.

I remember CH as spacing his victories out across his EPL tenure.
GPott's team and tactics clicked for bursts of excellence, picking off big scalps to boot.

But by jimminy he made us work for them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
While Potter improved us, his style was better away from home as was proved with nearly a year of no wins at home. I know a lot of st holders who stopped turning up to many games. Now look at it, the club begging those not turning up to put their ticket up for sale.

Potter Wheel, while done in jest, rang some truth. He could never settle on a team selection or formation. However the main difference to RDZ is Potter's thinking was risk averse, RDZ wants the players to take risks, take responsibility for themselves and the team. Some can't wait to blame individuals for a risk taken or indeed a mistake such as Sanchez's. We are experiencing the best football in this club's history.

Watching the Arsenal game, the commentators referenced how well Arsenal played out from the back, yet it kept breaking down in the midfield. I sat in my chair thinking, indeed they are playing themselves out of tight spots, but certainly no better than we do and of course we have that link in midfield. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
However the main difference to RDZ is Potter's thinking was risk averse, RDZ wants the players to take risks, take responsibility for themselves and the team. Some can't wait to blame individuals for a risk taken or indeed a mistake such as Sanchez's. We are experiencing the best football in this club's history.
And conversely when Potter took over from Hughton, we couldn't believe of how many risks we were taking with a high press, committing players forward and dominating games with possession, chances.

I'm not defending Potter here, but it is just a fact that we started scoring goals from 01 April 2022. RDZ took over a team that had been scoring 2 goals per game for some 14 or so games previous.

RDZ has added some exciting spice to the tactics and the team, but ultimately we are still beholden to the quality of our finishing. Palace was an all familiar tale, as was Bournemouth all be it pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the end.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And conversely when Potter took over from Hughton, we couldn't believe of how many risks we were taking with a high press, committing players forward and dominating games with possession, chances.

I'm not defending Potter here, but it is just a fact that we started scoring goals from 01 April 2022. RDZ took over a team that had been scoring 2 goals per game for some 14 or so games previous.

RDZ has added some exciting spice to the tactics and the team, but ultimately we are still beholden to the quality of our finishing. Palace was an all familiar tale, as was Bournemouth all be it pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the end.
Bournemouth yes but at Palace we scored two perfectly good goals.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 15.46.47.png

Constantly trending on Twitter around Chelsea matches.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not precious, nor do I think it's stupid that people are obsessed. I just don't get it, that's all.

Actually, having just returned to this thread, I'm beginning to think you have a point ...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Is it really true that Potter’s Chelsea have won 4 games since he took over in early September? Those 4 wins coming against Palace, Bournemouth, Zagreb and Salzburg. I know they’ve been underperforming but I didn’t realise it was that bad.
No its not true, but its not much better

He's beaten Palace twice, Wolves, Villa, Bournemouth in the PL and Milan twice, Salzburg and Zargreb in the Champions League.

He'd won 6 and drawn 3 in all competitions before his Chelsea side were given a big dose of reality at The Amex. In the 14 games since that brilliant day they won 3 drawn 4.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Had we finished 13th, GPott would still be here, we'd be demanding an actual striker, the team would be 10th and we'd be constantly told we don't understand football by GPotts fanclub.
Not just his fan club but the man himself often told us we didn't understand football.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sigh. So indignant you quote me twice. Potter moved us on greatly from the Hughton era (and no disrespect to Hughton who did a great job getting us up and keeping us up). The football was better under Potter than under Hughton - that's improvement, not incompetence. RDZ is doing great, but anyone who thinks that isn't in no small part due to the fact that he was able to build on his predecessors good work and the foundations laid for progressive football is ........... well ............you said it.

Ignoring the fact you were entirely wrong at labelling the ‘Potter Out’ stuff as a joke is quite funny.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
That squad has had hundred of millions of pounds pumped into it and the top managers are paid the big money to get a tune out of them and quickly.

I still think unless he gets at least 3 wins from next 5 league games and progresses in CL he is gone.

At the big clubs results are the currency of the manager not performances

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
That squad has had hundred of millions of pounds pumped into it and the top managers are paid the big money to get a tune out of them and quickly.

I still think unless he gets at least 3 wins from next 5 league games and progresses in CL he is gone.

At the big clubs results are the currency of the manager not performances
Loads of pre-emptive stories suggesting that the CL doesn't matter, Potter to be given time etc.

We'll see, eh?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I just don't think Potter 'will learn' in time.

I think there are good reasons why, these days, top managers are so frequently former World Class players.

They have experience of working around top players at the height of their careers. The kind f characters, expectations, pressure... and of course the level of football required.

Potter doesn't have that - I have no doubt he can and will learn it - but time is not on his side at Chelsea.

He's a dead man walking.

I don't know that's necessarily true.

Of course there are some top managers that are former World Class players but then there's the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Henry that failed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here