Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Alleluia !

Someone who actually sees and understands the situation for what it is.

You could argue that Potter is probably the most expensive mistake in EPL managerial history, but whilst his gamble has failed dismally Todd B hasn’t come down in the last shower, Potter will walk away with a few quid granted, but nothing like the figures currently being bandied around as BN3 rightly points out those words ‘mutual consent’ cover a multitude of sins.

The morning after the night before, prediction time, and I will stand corrected and make a donation to Chestnut Tree House, if it’s incorrect.

Potter will be back in football within 12 months,possibly bottom half of the EPL or more likely Championship, but with the genie well and truly out of the lamp (like when Eubank was beaten for the first time) will be sacked within 12 months of getting his new job.
THIS

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
He's a good coach, a decent man and I wish him all the best. The Albion progressed under him exactly as he predicted to Bloom and Barber. Boehly is a sleazy scumbag who neither likes or understands football.
He's not a decent man. Seven or eight games into a season decent men don't desert a club, its players and its supporters, and take most of the club's key support staff with him. People fall for that hangdog expression and his quiet demeanour, but underneath this false guise there's a black heart.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think a lot people are getting very upset with the idea of laughing at Potter. I wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for the weird easy life digs, very strange all round. He jumped ship when he got greedy when everyone could have told you this would happen. He lives a richer man, but all this bollocks about wanting to progress his career was nonsense, he won’t get another top job for a long time, if ever.
He'll be back in a PL job within a few months if he wants - not 'top 6' perhaps but a £5m a year gig with West Ham/Leicester/Everton or similar. New generation of Pulis/Fat Sam/Woy musical chair managers.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
He'll be back in a PL job within a few months if he wants - not 'top 6' perhaps but a £5m a year gig with West Ham/Leicester/Everton or similar. New generation of Pulis/Fat Sam/Woy musical chair managers.
I don't think thats unfair, he'll get that opportunity, but he blew his big chance to get a huge job at the top. He could have waited for a project which wasn't run by some American nutter, who doesn't have a clue about football, an odd decision all round.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Barney Ronay excellent as ever.

"Here, at a club that demands swagger, panache and a little bit of nastiness from its managers, was a coach who looks like he’d say sorry if you stole his watch, who at one point had to defend himself from claims he didn’t become angry enough in a press conference while defending himself for not having become angry enough during a game."

"It was painfully obvious from the start that Potter was not the right fit. In fact, he was so obviously the wrong fit it was tempting to squint in search of some brilliant masterplan just out of sight, because this couldn’t be serous, could it?

Here we had the ultimate slow-burn process manager, thrown into a chaos of panic-capitalism, shifting sands, eight mid-season signings, an acquisitions department touring the world like Father Christmas on crack."

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I wish him all the luck in the world at his next managerial position with a championship level club.

Im sure all those aspiring players will buy into his vision.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
B93DFD0D-1540-46A4-9955-DB7C2A64CEF7.jpeg

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Potter should never have taken the job in the first place. Chelsea were about as anti-Potter as a football club as you could find. A notoriously bad dressing room, an egotistical owner with a load of money and no football-sense whatsoever and an impatient and unforgiving fanbase who were never going to appreciate Graham's methods.

Brighton on the other hand were the ideal club, an intelligent owner who was as rich in patience as he was financially, a club ethos that seemed to match Potter's personality and a set of players willing and eager to learn. After three years GP's plan was finally coming together, we were scoring for fun, picking teams apart and had clawed our way to our highest ever league position. That Potter chose to throw all that away for a basket case club like Chelsea just mystifies me.

I'll always appreciate the work he did here, and I wish him no personal ill-will he seems like a very decent bloke, but I will not forgive him for ripping the heart out of this club in three short days and at the time sabotaging our best start to a premier league season and potentially undoing all the progress that we had made. He left us to work for a virtue free club that represents pretty much everything bad in modern football, from the boardroom to the terraces a vile club. The 4-1 defeat that kick-started his demise was one of the sweetest things I have ever witnessed on a football pitch. The victory was a moment of pure catharsis that will be cherished for a long time yet.
Nail on head.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It seemed like he had a real long-term vision for his career and was taking small, but steady steps towards greatness. "Learning, improving" etc etc...

Taking that job wasn't just a boot in the balls for us, it was just an objectively bad decision. Yes you get to manage in the Champions League, Yes you get a shit ton of money. But we could all see he wasn't quite ready for that step and not at a club like Chelsea "I'm a changed man honest, guvna" Football Club.

He went too big too quick and what's he got to show for it? He's aged 10 years in 7 months, got a shitload of money and damaged his reputation forever.

If he'd have done this with just a hint of decorum I'd have some sympathy. But he didn't. So I don't.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He might not get a top-six job, but he'll be back in the Premier League within months, I'm sure.
Annoyingly, he’s going to get another #teamslikebrighton into the top 10. It could be Leicester but he might go to somewhere like Palace or West Ham. Hopefully, he won’t take too many points off us in the future or perhaps even finish above us managing a club like Wolves or Southampton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Potter should never have taken the job in the first place. Chelsea were about as anti-Potter as a football club as you could find. A notoriously bad dressing room, an egotistical owner with a load of money and no football-sense whatsoever and an impatient and unforgiving fanbase who were never going to appreciate Graham's methods.

Brighton on the other hand were the ideal club, an intelligent owner who was as rich in patience as he was financially, a club ethos that seemed to match Potter's personality and a set of players willing and eager to learn. After three years GP's plan was finally coming together, we were scoring for fun, picking teams apart and had clawed our way to our highest ever league position. That Potter chose to throw all that away for a basket case club like Chelsea just mystifies me.

I'll always appreciate the work he did here, and I wish him no personal ill-will he seems like a very decent bloke, but I will not forgive him for ripping the heart out of this club in three short days and at the time sabotaging our best start to a premier league season and potentially undoing all the progress that we had made. He left us to work for a virtue free club that represents pretty much everything bad in modern football, from the boardroom to the terraces a vile club. The 4-1 defeat that kick-started his demise was one of the sweetest things I have ever witnessed on a football pitch. The victory was a moment of pure catharsis that will be cherished for a long time yet.

When someone dangles a £60 million salary over 5 years in your face, no matter how emotionally intelligent you are, you will start finding reasons why it wouldn't be the most stupid thing ever to take on the job.

After all, if the club had identified you, based on all those excellent skills you imagine you have, then it would almost be wrong to dismiss them as wrong, and not embrace the opportunity, grasp the bull by the nettle, and seize the horns of the challenge.

How much was that salary again? And I can bring all my staff?

I'm sure Tony Bloom won't mind....

It will be Grrrrrrreat!

Edit, just in case my facetious arse-aboutery is mistaken, I am not endorsing such a mentality. It's akin to an ordinary happily married man chucking up everything and going off with a 20-something Madonna-type adventuress, who has pulled him just for a laugh.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Annoyingly, he’s going to get another #teamslikebrighton into the top 10. It could be Leicester but he might go to somewhere like Palace or West Ham. Hopefully, he won’t take too many points off us in the future or perhaps even finish above us managing a club like Wolves or Southampton.
I'm not so sure, I think this 7 months will have really knocked his confidence and self belief.

When he gets his next job, a number of that respective clubs fans will say, "why have we gone for the man who famously f***** it at Chelsea despite MNO spending?", whilst we soldiered on through the bad runs of 21/22, no wins in 11 and 6 straight defeats, fans at A N Other club might not be so understanding given the West London part of his CV?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It pains me to say it, but I think Potter might use his trademark emotional intelligence to take a brief career break rather than dive into a relegation struggling Leicester where he wont have the time and mentality to reorganise a squad.

It makes a lot more sense to me that he waits to the end of the season and takes the Palace job. Parish admires him; Palace want to evolve their playing style, which fits Potter’s profile perfectly; its a smaller side with limited resource; he doesn’t have to uproot his family and obviously their super legendary famous fans are very aware of their history (all thirteen years of it).

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I wonder how this has all affected his surprisingly? big ego.

I don't see him walking straight into a relegation battle with Leicester.

If he feels ready to go back into management by the summer, he surely sees himself at a Spurs sort of project as opposed to a Palace sort of project.

Jan 9, 2022
Just seeing this idea of Potter to Palace for next season touted on Twitter (not sure if it's been mentioned on here) and that would just add to the grand story wouldn't it.

I can see it if they stay up or not. Whoever takes it has a big and sh*t project with a post-Wilf rebuild/ rebrand. And it means he won't have to rush into a job like Leicester straight away.

But quite frankly I can see him at West Ham, Leicester or Palace next season

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You seem very sure about Potter’s contract terms despite having no clue what is in it. Mutual consent just means both parties have agreed to termination of employment. Those terms remain confidential and could range from he gets nothing to he gets his contract paid up. I can’t think of a single reason Potter would leave without what his contract entitles him to. I would imagine some form of non disclosure would have been a part of this weekend’s negotiations and that would have strengthened Potter’s financial hand rather than weakened it but who knows.
What about the reason that after less than 7 months in the said post, he's clearly not up to the job?

Rightly or wrongly Sunny Worthing is awash with Chelsea season ticket holders and people very close to the club, clearly don't know the exact figures, nor should I, but as previously stated Todd B will, having conceded his huge error, play hardball, Potter will be compensated but nowhere near his full contract.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
You seem very sure about Potter’s contract terms despite having no clue what is in it. Mutual consent just means both parties have agreed to termination of employment. Those terms remain confidential and could range from he gets nothing to he gets his contract paid up. I can’t think of a single reason Potter would leave without what his contract entitles him to. I would imagine some form of non disclosure would have been a part of this weekend’s negotiations and that would have strengthened Potter’s financial hand rather than weakened it but who knows.
Too many people are making huge assumptions about contract terms. We will never know because of confidentiality clauses. However, I saw nothing in the news suggesting termination "by mutual consent" so I imagine some compensation is due, no doubt as set out in the contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here