Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bullshit, a Chelsea player was first into the box
The rules are now ridiculously complex, but football fans are remarkably adept at getting agitated when they don't understand the rules:
-- several players encroached, one of which was the Dortmund player that cleared the ball and, under the rules, that constitutes a penalty.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The rules are now ridiculously complex, but football fans are remarkably adept at getting agitated when they don't understand the rules:
-- several players encroached, one of which was the Dortmund player that cleared the ball and, under the rules, that constitutes a penalty.
Agreed. So if that Dortmund defender hadn’t kicked the ball play would have continued

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It doesn't even matter that he cleared it. The rules are quite simple regarding encroachment.

1678225603211.png

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So funny they only managed to scrape a 1-0 win over Leeds at the weekend and are firing on all cylinders now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No - see above post.
Exactly, so it should not have been retaken, should have been an indirect free kick, so not that complicated at all. Potential encroachment by defending player makes it more complicated though….

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But he didn't touch the ball. Had that Chelsea player kicked in the rebound it would have been ruled out.
No. Don’t think the rules have anything to do with if the encroaching player touches it. The rule is if an attacking player encroaches and the team scores, the kick should be retaken (another rule barely followed). The point here is, if that had gone in could you really see VAR ordering a retake?

The rules are very hard to understand the way they’re written for me, but the table at the bottom shows the encroachment - it has nothing to do with if the encroaching player clears the ball - encroachment is encroachment:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Exactly, so it should not have been retaken, should have been an indirect free kick, so not that complicated at all. Encroachment by defending player makes it more complicated though….
Is that not line 3? Both attacking and defending encroach means retake.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Exactly, so it should not have been retaken, should have been an indirect free kick, so not that complicated at all.potential enroachment by defending player makes it more complicated though….
No it should have been retaken - it was the correct decision by the rules, but these rules are barely ever followed..!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've not watched much of this, but whenever I look I see Dortmund cheating, and conning he ref.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unless Dortmund can improve dramatically in the last few minutes, Chelsea will have deserved this, Dortmund have been shit and
offered nothing upfront

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To prove my point on the encroachment rule being barely followed, I went to Saturdays game no less. Ok it’s not the exact split second he kicks it here but Soucek is clearly 3 feet encroaching in the semi circle so clearly was encroaching. If Ali Mac had missed does anybody think VAR would have ordered a retake? No chance. (Click image to enlarge)

Attachments

• 023B5246-B54B-4331-9BF6-D8D20FF200A2.png
    023B5246-B54B-4331-9BF6-D8D20FF200A2.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 68

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Unless Dortmund can improve dramatically in the last few minutes, Chelsea will have deserved this, Dortmund have been shit And offered nothing upfront
I’d have fancied our chances against Dortmund based on this performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here