• Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still IN for me. Still going in the right direction. We know what we are lacking, and it isn't in his power to produce it. Only when Tony decides he wants to splash out on a forward will we advance further. It was no different with Hughton either but at least we are playing a better style.

If we cash in on one or two of the up and coming players and sign a striker of worth in the summer then I don't expect us to struggle next season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Who knows - Hughton might have got relegated last season if still in charge. It really is irrelevant to what is happening now.

And I still support Potter - he has shown potential and could become a very good manager - but he needs to prove it now and over the next 11 games or he won't get a chance to see through his (and Bloom's) plans. If he blows it up at Brighton his chances of managing in any of the top leagues are gone forever.

But he almost certainly won't be sacked if we do go down and we'll be strong favourites to go back up

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Who knows - Hughton might have got relegated last season if still in charge. It really is irrelevant to what is happening now.

And I still support Potter - he has shown potential and could become a very good manager - but he needs to prove it now and over the next 11 games or he won't get a chance to see through his (and Bloom's) plans. If he blows it up at Brighton his chances of managing in any of the top leagues are gone forever.

I dont think so. Someone would (rightly or wrongly) be interested in seeing what he can do with a different squad.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Allardyce's tenure is 0.73 ppg. They likely need 18 pts in 10 games as I suspect between Fulham, Us, and Newcastle, 36 will be safe. Their last 5 game form (with the ridiculous 3 pts they got against us) only gets them 12 points from their remaining games. It's all too late for them.

Like I said - don't rule out an Allardyce team until it is mathematically impossible for them to survive. WBA's results have been improving - Allardyce's first four games included three losses with 12 goals conceded - after beating Wolves they lost another 4 games in the next 5 - they have now lost once in the last 5 and have stopped conceding goals.

Their next 5 games are Palace, Chelsea, Southampton, Leicester and Villa and if they beat Palace I could see the picking up another 3-4 points in the following 4 games.

Now WBA have a big gap to bridge - but the longer the teams above them struggle for points the more confidence it gives that WBA team. The biggest problem for WBA is that they struggle to score goals - any goals. However, it they can chip in the odd goal at just the right time they can bag a few points. It still is a major ask - but Brighton need to put enough distance between themselves and those teams below them so that it doesn't become a factor.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
We are now the laughing stock of the league not sure which one I’d rather be. Even the commentary fella against West Brom laughed when we missed the second penalty.

No we are not. But, you are becoming close to being the laughing stock of this forum.

The contract he was given speaks volumes about what the people at the top think.

What are they thinking? Can you elaborate please?

However, I would say that if the Club is relegated this season I would expect Potter to leave especially after the way the Club treated Hughton who kept us up and reached the FA Cup Semi Final in his last season.

The Club (Tony and CO) wanted to go in a new direction and utilise the accademy after Tony had spent millions on it.

People are missing the point that Tony as a plan for this club and it not a short term "all in" approach, which could jepodise us, and his investments.

He as not let us down yet and every plan he as had, as come off. He is building this club up and it will take a few more years yet.

Of course you take results into account, but not only results. If you’re a CEO and a director isn’t hitting their targets, you wouldn’t just sack them, you’d look into it, what’s the context, what’s going on in their team, what are they doing about it, are they being proactive and looking likely to turn it around.

If you’re in charge of Liverpool, do you sack Klopp? Results haven’t been good enough.

Finally, some perspective.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
But he almost certainly won't be sacked if we do go down and we'll be strong favourites to go back up

if he is not sacked he should resign.

But if the team is relegated and irrespective of whether he remains as manager or not - his (and Bloom's) current experiment will have failed.

The question then becomes - can Potter adapt to make improvements and not leave the team exposed with a soft underbelly.

You are also correct that Brighton would be favs to bounce back - but that has more to do with parachute payments, the accelerated impact of covid in widening the gap between Championship and PL and the fact that Brighton would be exempt from the championship salary cap (if it is implemented).

Brighton would lose significant sections of the squad - Lallana, Wellbeck, White, Dunk, Lamptey, Bissouma, possibly Gross, Propper, Veltman, Trossard, Maupay - the squad would still have a good young core but it would lose a lot of talent.

The problem would arise if/when the club was promoted again - because unfortunately, every year the gap between PL and Championship is widening and we are going to see more and more clubs yo-yoing between the two. This year's relegated teams could be Sheff Utd, WBA and Fulham - all promoted last season or the season before. If Fulham survive they will struggle next season - and I think Leeds will as well. At the moment it looks like Norwich, Watford and Swansea will come up - but given the widening gap all three could go straight back down.

The reality is that, given the damage covid has done to football finances (particularly outside the PL) it is absolutely crucial to stay up this season - because it is going to get increasingly harder for a promoted team to stay up over the coming years - and it will be all the more difficult for Bloom to implement his 'long-term plan'.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I dont think so. Someone would (rightly or wrongly) be interested in seeing what he can do with a different squad.

Potter would have to drop down the league or go back to somewhere like Sweden - not a hope he gets another PL job without first showing (over many years) that he can get the job done.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

The reality is that Klopp is on thin ice - it would be a massive financial blow to Liverpool the year after they win the PL if they were to lose out on CL money.

He wouldn't be sacked - but he could end up 'resigning' - especially if the German job comes up after the Euro Championships.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
QUOTE=dadams2k11;9774886]No we are not. But, you are becoming close to being the laughing stock of this forum.

The Club (Tony and CO) wanted to go in a new direction and utilise the accademy after Tony had spent millions on it.

People are missing the point that Tony as a plan for this club and it not a short term "all in" approach, which could jepodise us, and his investments.

He as not let us down yet and every plan he as had, as come off. He is building this club up and it will take a few more years yet.

Finally, some perspective.[/QUOTE]

Typical response from a Potter supporter when all other avenues are exhausted we get the this is what Tony Bloom wanted line rolled out. He’s not super human ffs and may well be thinking he made a massive mistake who knows?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

But if the team is relegated and irrespective of whether he remains as manager or not - his (and Bloom's) current experiment will have failed.
'.

Not so. I believe I am correct in saying Barber has previously said that relegation is a risk they accept and it won’t deflect the club from its long term aims. It will also be an outcome for which they will have contingency plans. It is supporters that worry about relegation because they don’t get to watch the big teams anymore.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The question then becomes - can Potter adapt to make improvements and not leave the team exposed with a soft underbelly.

You are also correct that Brighton would be favs to bounce back - but that has more to do with parachute payments, the accelerated impact of covid in widening the gap between Championship and PL and the fact that Brighton would be exempt from the championship salary cap (if it is implemented).

Brighton would lose significant sections of the squad - Lallana, Wellbeck, White, Dunk, Lamptey, Bissouma, possibly Gross, Propper, Veltman, Trossard, Maupay - the squad would still have a good young core but it would lose a lot of talent.

The problem would arise if/when the club was promoted again - because unfortunately, every year the gap between PL and Championship is widening and we are going to see more and more clubs yo-yoing between the two. This year's relegated teams could be Sheff Utd, WBA and Fulham - all promoted last season or the season before. If Fulham survive they will struggle next season - and I think Leeds will as well. At the moment it looks like Norwich, Watford and Swansea will come up - but given the widening gap all three could go straight back down.

The reality is that, given the damage covid has done to football finances (particularly outside the PL) it is absolutely crucial to stay up this season - because it is going to get increasingly harder for a promoted team to stay up over the coming years - and it will be all the more difficult for Bloom to implement his 'long-term plan'.

How many managers with multiple years on their contracts do this? I can only think of one example in all my time of watching football.

Also I take issue with "he should resign"? Personally, I don't think he should. He would have a great chance of taking us back. As Farke has done with Norwich

I also don't think we'll lose anywhere near the number of players you're suggesting we will. Out of players we'd like to keep, only Biss, White and Webster leaving would be my guess.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
QUOTE=dadams2k11;9774886]No we are not. But, you are becoming close to being the laughing stock of this forum.

Typical response from a Potter supporter when all other avenues are exhausted we get the this is what Tony Bloom wanted line rolled out. He’s not super human ffs and may well be thinking he made a massive mistake who knows?[/QUOTE]

It's not a line It's fact. This is what Tony Bloom wanted.

You clearly are so entitled. Stop having tunnel vision and see the whole picture and you might be happier with the Albion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

How many managers with multiple years on their contracts do this? I can only think of one example in all my time of watching football.

Of course the "resignation" in question isn't always entirely voluntary. Top level football and top level politics are similar in this regard.

"You are going to resign, aren't you? I mean you don't have to resign, but if you do then we'll offer you this rather nice package and tell everyone how lovely you are so you might get another job in the near future."

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Of course the "resignation" in question isn't always entirely voluntary. Top level football and top level politics are similar in this regard.

"You are going to resign, aren't you? I mean you don't have to resign, but if you do then we'll offer you this rather nice package and tell everyone how lovely you are so you might get another job in the near future."

Hmmm no

Football and politics are different. No conventions like collective responsibility in football.

Either they are "sacked" .....

Or it's by "mutual agreement" which is also sacked, but maybe some extra contract has been agreed in terms of the timing of payment of the rest of the contract.

Either way, football managers only resign when they have a better job offer and the chairman sanctions it.

Barely any walk away of their own volition and forego the money from the rest of the contract

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hmmm no

Football and politics are different. No conventions like collective responsibility in football.

Either they are "sacked" .....

Or it's by "mutual agreement" which is also sacked, but maybe some extra contract has been agreed in terms of the timing of payment of the rest of the contract.

Either way, football managers only resign when they have a better job offer and the chairman sanctions it.

Barely any walk away of their own volition and forego the money from the rest of the contract

Barely any left in politics I should add

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This indeed.

So as you know GP so well, why has he brought so many players to the club during his tenure that he now apparently doesn't fancy? Tau (recalled from loan), Moder, Wellbeck, Zeqiri. All signed up on his watch. None of whom are getting a look-in. (You could probably add Karbownik to the list)

Then you get the consistent under-performers. Trossard. What is he doing on the training ground that is so impressive? Because he sure as hell ain't doing it on matchday.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Typical response from a Potter supporter when all other avenues are exhausted we get the this is what Tony Bloom wanted line rolled out. He’s not super human ffs and may well be thinking he made a massive mistake who knows?

He may well be thinking that. We don't know. There are only a few people who seem to definitively want him sacked not knowing the day to day matters, what is happening behind the scenes, what is being done to improve. Not really bothered with people having an opinion that he might not be good enough this level, but to be certain of it when most of his tenure has been through a pandemic, without seeing the context and background is plain ignorance really.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Like I said - don't rule out an Allardyce team until it is mathematically impossible for them to survive. WBA's results have been improving - Allardyce's first four games included three losses with 12 goals conceded - after beating Wolves they lost another 4 games in the next 5 - they have now lost once in the last 5 and have stopped conceding goals.

Their next 5 games are Palace, Chelsea, Southampton, Leicester and Villa and if they beat Palace I could see the picking up another 3-4 points in the following 4 games.

Now WBA have a big gap to bridge - but the longer the teams above them struggle for points the more confidence it gives that WBA team. The biggest problem for WBA is that they struggle to score goals - any goals. However, it they can chip in the odd goal at just the right time they can bag a few points. It still is a major ask - but Brighton need to put enough distance between themselves and those teams below them so that it doesn't become a factor.

Allardyce hasn't often been in this position believe it or not (I know he's worshipped like a relegation avoiding God in the media). Sunderland with 10 games to go were actually out of the bottom 3. Blackburn too, with 10 to play were 15th. Palace 1 pt clear with 10 to go. He's not a miracle worker. He's just a manager that makes a side ever so slightly more difficult to beat. Your gushing like he's going to have WBA on a ManCity like run of results.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not so. I believe I am correct in saying Barber has previously said that relegation is a risk they accept and it won’t deflect the club from its long term aims. It will also be an outcome for which they will have contingency plans. It is supporters that worry about relegation because they don’t get to watch the big teams anymore.

I think thats bluff

most of us have been brought up and are perfectly happy with mid league football. The project is all about PL and its money. if we go down its failed, and we could end up right in the shit . . . not free fall but QPR ish for example, that's not Tonys dream project.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here