Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Spending £22.5m on Mateju stands out as a colossal blunder.

"He spent the 2018–19 season on loan to Italian club Brescia, helped them win the Serie B title and with it promotion to Serie A, and then signed a permanent contract for an undisclosed fee."

Perhaps we succeeded in extracting a top price from Brescia?

(Unlikely, I know!)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And you know why? We don’t sell anyone.

If we let Dunk and White go this year we could have had £75 mill in the kitty perhaps? Keep Duffy and we still have a solid back four. And money to spend on a striker..........

I actually think our reluctance to sell is beginning to cause problems.

The squad is unbalanced with far too many CBs and CMs. Everyone always says "don't sell your best players" but it's not as simple as that. Squads need to be refreshed a bit every season, with hindsight were might regret not talking Leeds' offer for White.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What is all the fuss about, I don't get, where just where do people think we should be top 10 ? well is that actually success in this league ?
Nope, we will forever struggle in this league, we will never be safe, that is a fact for not just us all the teams other than Liverpool, Man Utd & City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and now maybe Leicester are just a few defeats away from each other none of them will ever win the league. besides those 8 teams the rest of us are also rans, we make up the numbers, to be honest we will never challenge those teams, sure we might get the odd victory over one of them, or a team like us may get to and win a cup final, but that is it. So would we be happy if we hit that top 10 position year on year ? No of course not, people will moan, it is what we do, it is what all fans do...

Potter is doing a great job, we are still in transition and bringing in players like Lallana and Welbeck raises our profile not just for fans, but also other players who may think, we are progressing which we are and be tempted to join our club. It is a slow trudged affair and we will have many ups and downs, but it has to be done this way because we don't have a rich oligarch or Arabian prince throwing money at us.

Take also into account these are strange times, we know how covid has affected us all over this year causing anxiety and in some cases a loss to friends and family.
These players are still being made to travel, and play they could also be playing through issues which we can relate to, but because they are well paid we actually think it should not count for them, they should just get on with it, like many of us do. I don't know about you, but I occasionally watch the news and read about a second wave coming and think to myself I don't want to go to work if I had a choice, but I don't I need the money, so do they.

The fact there are no crowds is a massive factor on results this year, it is clear to see after a goal comes is conceded, there is not the roar of the crowed to wake them up, push them forward, galvanise extra energy or warn them of an incoming tackle from behind, all these factors should be taken into account, yes it is the same for all teams and look Leeds, or look at Villa stomping all over Liverpool, why can't we do that ? well try and think both side, instead of how well Villa did, yes give the credit, but wow whats going on Liverpool let in 7 yes 7... This is not a normal season, these are not normal times...

Give Potter some slack, give the players some slack, we cannot influence the team from the stands and encourage the players when we feel they need a lift, hearing their name chanted around the stadium, all they have left really is reading the media and depressing threads like this on NSC and other message boards.

That is just my humble opinion.

#BrightongloryhunterNOT

Well said. Exactly [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Same here. A seminal moment where I felt other managers would be able to get more from the sum of the parts, but more importantly not entirely cede the last 30 minutes to PL newbies in every facet.

You tend to speak a lot of sense, so if you’re losing faith in Potter, he should be worried !.

I agree btw.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
How long should I give him? He hasn’t just come in for 6 games has he? He had no idea how to correct the losing streak last season and was saved by the lock down and a lucky win against Arsenal. His record is abysmal. His comments after the game sums him up I’m afraid. Hughton, may not have been so easy on the eye but he would have won tonight’s game!

Really ... CH who’s team produced some of the worse performances seen by an Albion team since being at the Amex in his last few months at the club. Bournemouth, Cardiff, Southampton anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
we have the players we need to survive comfortably, last night was not about the quality of the players, wages or transfers, it was a woeful second half performance compounded by (IMO) poor management. We have had poor luck in a few games, luck dodn't come into it last night, we just had a bad day. Whats eternaly frustrating for teams like these is it happens too often and GP doesn't admit it, publicly, so we all get frothy as we think we're going backwards.

I would argue luck did come into it last night. Our goal was extremely lucky without that we would have lost. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You tend to speak a lot of sense, so if you’re losing faith in Potter, he should be worried !.

I agree btw.

I hope I’m completely wrong. Love GP, but it seemed to me the first occasion where he looked lost for what to do. Whereas Bilic was actively guiding and cajoling. WBA’s bench were making a big thing of our non fouls, fighting their cause, whilst GP seemed so meek and disappointed. Imho good coaches spot when a tide has turned and where holes are appearing mid half, and act e.g. by rejigging the system. Instead, nothing.

I though his substitutions were all wrong, it killed us. Even many NSC optimists have criticised that.

It could all turn around. A couple of wins soon would allay any fears. Personally I don’t see where they’re coming from, but with Connolly and Welbeck waiting in the wings, who knows?

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Has the season finished already?

You have to accept our first four matches were against teams well above our standard however yesterdays opponents should have provided three points for us particularly as we are unlikely to pick up points at Spurs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope I’m completely wrong. Love GP, but it seemed to me the first occasion where he looked lost for what to do. Whereas Bilic was actively guiding and cajoling. WBA’s bench were making a big thing of our non fouls, fighting their cause, whilst GP seemed so meek and disappointed. Imho good coaches spot when a tide has turned and where holes are appearing mid half, and act e.g. by rejigging the system. Instead, nothing.

I though his substitutions were all wrong, it killed us. Even many NSC optimists have criticised that.

It could all turn around. A couple of wins soon would allay any fears. Personally I don’t see where they’re coming from, but with Connolly and Welbeck waiting in the wings, who knows?

I agree that the second half was shit yesterday (and unlike some, pontificating on NSC today, I did watch the game), but I would be astonished if Potter didn't turn it around.

He made a mistake with his approach yesterday but, who knows, maybe litte Aaron and others weren't match fit and the manager's hand was forced?

And maybe Potter has the right to not have to stand there afterwards, when interviewed, and confess his folly and shame to the sniggering nation like some appear to want him to do.

And finally, regarding West Brom, let's not forget, it is no longer the case that these were a good side.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree that the second half was shit yesterday (and unlike some, pontificating on NSC today, I did watch the game), but I would be astonished if Potter didn't turn it around.

He made a mistake with his approach yesterday but, who knows, maybe litte Aaron and others weren't match fit and the manager's hand was forced?

And maybe Potter has the right to not have to stand there afterwards, when interviewed, and confess his folly and shame to the sniggering nation like some appear to want him to do.

And finally, regarding West Brom, let's not forget, it is no loger the case that these were a good side.

:thumbsup:

Can’t quite believe that you don’t want Potter summarily dismissed today :facepalm:

Thought you’d be at the front of the queue waiting to drive him to Ostersund.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

We’re marching down the leagues.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t quite believe that you don’t want Potter summarily dismissed today :facepalm:

Thought you’d be at the front of the queue waiting to drive him to Ostersund.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

We’re marching down the leagues.

:lolol: What you need is a spoof accout like the several (allegedly) that 'a certain prominent poster' owns. ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Already have done so. Confidentially, I’m Plooks, SE20 and TSB. I sometimes set up faux arguments with myself, drawing in others.

Top work. I also have a couple of spoof accounts, but I have put them both on ignore.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

NotABrightonFan

Sep 21, 2019
From an outsider's point of view, I get the frustration with Potter being slightly soft. Defensive set pieces seem a huge issue as well as not killing games off. Constantly seems like you're one action away from scoring a beautiful goal but too often to the extra pass is not played or the final pass (which is a normally a simple ball) is misplaced. I don't think you're fearing relegation due to the fact there's already two teams certain to go down in Fulham and West brom.

I think you have to take the rough with the smooth, I don't think many managers could get you playing football as exciting as Potter has you playing, but conversely there's a lot of managers who are better at seeing games out, or stealing victories from the jaws of defeat, Potter seems to steal defeat/draws from the jaws of victory. I think you'll be safe, and it'll be enjoyable to watch for the most part, albeit incredibly frustrating when games like last night or against Palace continue to happen.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally we are a bottom 8 side at best. We spend within our budget rightly so.
You can argue it is our 4th season and we should be doing more but all the teams look to improve year on year. Some massively overspend and eventually live to regret it. We haven’t spend a lot this summer. I think we have learnt from mistakes to go for players we want. If we miss them then wait.
The big spending season the last under Hughton was extremely poor recruitment based on the fact only Bissouma still plays On a regular basis from that 70 million outlay.
Last seasons spend Webster I think has been value for money. Mupaay and trossard as well for the actual outlay.
What I think needs to be said is we play the youngest premier league 11. We barely average above 25 most of the time so a lot of our team are not yet in their prime. There are also a few in the academy who are very well though of not just by us but many a side who could go into very good things. This is why potter is here to get some of them on the pitch and build a side from that. If we move some of them along for good fees then so be it and I’m sure that’s exactly what TB wants.
Personally I trust in potter and think he’s doing a good job. He’s just got to get the forwards taking the chances being created.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here