Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posted on behalf of Barnet fan DaChiken14...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Looks like this wasn't a success unfortunately.

Barnet | News | Latest News | Latest News | BARNET SET TO LEAVE UNDERHILL

Due to circumstances beyond their control, Barnet FC look set to leave Underhill, their home for 104 years, at the end of this season.
As announced on this website last week, the club have written to the Football League asking if they could start next season 2012-13 at Underhill even though they could not guarantee they would have a licence to operate the stadium in 2013 because of the long standing land issues and the expiry of the Cricket Club lease in December 2012, which provides access to the southern end of the football stadium.
The Football League, acting within their regulations, have replied that they would not want Barnet FC to start next season at Underhill without a contingency plan to complete their fixtures and the club is now widening its net and looking at alternative sites for relocation.
Chairman Tony Kleanthous has told the licensing department of Barnet Council: "Our intention has always been to stay at Underhill for a few more years but we are now finally focused on our future location rather than having the same old discussions with your council that never lead anywhere".
Barnet FC argue that it would be impossible to operate to Football Association and Football League standards with a reduced footprint for half a season, as has been suggested by the council, and rejected a plan produced by them which entailed reducing the capacity of Underhill to a little over 5,100 with about 1,300 seats - below the Football League ground criteria of a minimum 2,000 seats. The council plan also included relocation of the club offices and staff; removal of spectator toilets, disabled parking and associated disabled facilities; no on-site parking for officials, visiting directors or sponsors and reconfigured southern turnstiles with emergency evacuation areas reduced to the minimum allowable standards.
In a message to supporters the chairman said "We have spent nearly £2million improving Underhill over the last few years but Barnet Council seem to want us to rip everything up and go back to the cloth cap days of cramming people in and letting them use a wall as a toilet! It really is an embarrassing state of affairs and I cannot allow our faithful supporters to endure anymore of the humiliating taunts and jokes from our rivals. It's time we looked to our future and how we can achieve a final solution to our ground problems because we have so many positives as a club and the foundations are in place for us to grow, we need to move on with our heads held high. Barnet FC is a great family club with a loyal fan base consisting of one of the highest ratios of female and young child supporters in the Football League, a growing community charity that now operates across two London boroughs, financial stability with a strong balance sheet and a wholly owned training facility the envy of almost every other league club. On the field our ladies team are the cup holders and our men's team is one step away from a Wembley Final. So I, for one, will not shed a tear and want to look forward and think of how much more we can achieve once released from the artificial chains used to bind us. This blinkered council will never know what they had until they have finally lost it!"

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I saw the piece on Sky where a sad TK explained the situation,so in the spirit of better late than never I signed the petition.Barnet council must be barmy to want to see their football league team moved.It must be the best advert for Barnet and yet they want to see you off. Is Archer on your council ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I saw the piece on Sky where a sad TK explained the situation,so in the spirit of better late than never I signed the petition.Barnet council must be barmy to want to see their football league team moved.It must be the best advert for Barnet and yet they want to see you off. Is Archer on your council ?

They are keen to replace them with Saracens RFC, I seem to remember.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Signed, and posted on the Havant&Waterlooville forum as I saw them play Barnet at Underhill in November 2001 in an FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay. Barnet won 3-0.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Done & good luck

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
They are keen to replace them with Saracens RFC, I seem to remember.

Yes,I saw that.But for the non Rugby people on here,Saracens v whoever doesn't clearly advertise Barnet,and could merely make the place a target for terrorism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here