Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post your 90's 'Brit pop' here!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Appears to be a massive confusion of what Brit Pop actually was.

To me it was invented by London based PR people to attempt to take ownership of music scenes that had developed outside the capital.

Attempting to develop a "scene" that didn't really exist.

I hated it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

To me it was invented by London based PR people to attempt to take ownership of music scenes that had developed outside the capital.

I hated it.

No 'scenes' actually exsist, they were all a way of lumping bands together.

Don't be so precious about what is actually is and look at the quality music that has been posted on this thread of peoples perception of it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I hated it.

Chill out! Punk was a scam for money made up by a certain Mr McLaren (RIP)... music is borne in all types of different forms.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Who can forget the classic song inspired by our very own Brighton.

And one of the best things to come out of Nottingham

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Always remember the main tent at the Stanmer Park festival around 95. Northern Uproar, followed next by the Lightening Seeds and last one and next were Echobelly who completely rocked. King of the Kerb encore was amazing and the lead singer had a fantastic presence on stage. Wonder if any fellow NScers were in the same tent or perhaps the more arty farty one with Super Furry Animals. Next year wasn't a patch and had Shed Seven and the Levellers but was outsude so not the same vibe!

I was there in my Bis t-shirt... Great days!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
[yt]CrDHXLBtIA8[/yt]

[yt]8oxqcqaQNPo[/yt]

I think we may have been at the same gigs in the early 90's.

fivethirty were an awesome band.

Not the best recording here but remains one of my favourite songs

I think we may have been at the same gigs in the early 90's.

Ride I saw at the Top Rank Suite (and I recall a crap bored-girlie fronted band supported, my word she was an idiot). It was hugely loud, a tsunami of sound, and I believe I even saw a kid asleep inside one of the speakers!

Charlatans I saw at Hollywood Paladium, Levitation, and Inspirals at Hollywood Palace, Catherine Wheel all over the West Coast of US and Canada. So...perhaps not too many same gigs!
I bought the 5;30 first EP as well as some Thousand Yard Stare stuff too, but did't rate them quite so highly - there was a lot of decent stuff coming out at the time!

Here are some more.... Hearthrobs were great at Zap Club with the also-good Popinjays;
[yt]m_l_7-vRsbs[/yt]

HOL I saw a few times on their Bebe Rainbow tour, in LA;
[yt]OXOgRvj76zI[/yt]

Indieartpop and excellent, even more after their brief emergence to te public ear. Long Beach and Pantages Theatre downtown LA, supporting Church

[yt]CpFsMqjorfo[/yt]

No 'scenes' actually exsist, they were all a way of lumping bands together.

Don't be so precious about what is actually is and look at the quality music that has been posted on this thread of peoples perception of it.

Absolutely. NME and MM created a few of the group terms when describing bands as 'shoestarers', and in the US there came the other rubbish umbrella term 'Emo', even using that to describe older bands like Dead Can Dance and such just for some convenience of lumping them into a genre when they weren't any 'genre' but their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here