Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Post Office Scandal -

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Strikes me so far the Mr Beer is treating him as a 'sympathetic witness' - in that he's leading him to show that he was sort of kept in the dark or not made fully aware, and guided by what was wanted of him. All this about what an 'expert witness' is - I've been an 'expert witness' at public inquiries, I've never been given any guidance whatsoever on what that means legally. Mr Beer is effectively showing that Jenkins was used by the PO I think.
The thing which confuses me is even after courts have exonerated SPMs he is insisting there was nothing wrong with Horizon? Is he saying that he believes they are guilty?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The thing which confuses me is even after courts have exonerated SPMs he is insisting there was nothing wrong with Horizon? Is he saying that he believes they are guilty?
I think he's saying that it was mainly fine, and almost all of the time it worked perfectly. That is - 'robust' in IT terms, as there are bugs in everything.

Of course, on the occasions when it did go wrong - the above attitude prevented the proper investigation of the SPM's claims that it could cause glitches.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Depends on the techies. Someone coding or configuring a system should absolutely know the business requirement.

Edit: I agree that he is a patsy though.
Not only the business requirements but also (more importantly?) the benefit of said requirement to the business.
The former is too robotic without the latter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Working in tech, I've worked with a lot of people like GJ over the years.Technically brilliantly but has no interest or understanding in people, commercial, timescales or anything other than his area of interest which is code and maths (he opened up with "Maths at Cambridge").

He just said that some of the witness statements signed by him weren't actually signed by him. He also said he had no curiosity in the court process when he was part of it. I'd imagine he slept soundly at night as he has absolutely no real concept or curiosity of the world outside of his area of interest.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If true, solicitors perverting the course of justice?

IMG_4173.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm just watching this now.

Incredibly, it seems that there was a system before Horizon, called Capture, and sub postmasters were prosecuted for errors in this system as well....

I thank ITV for this reminder. Further lies eg the Northern Ireland investigators tape was supposed to be long gone, then found.

A reminder that Vennells and other key people destroyed lives, covered it up, are a disgrace. There has to be criminal trials. They should have their PO pensions stopped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here