Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post Office hit new low in service delivery

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I don't know why people get so heated up about post delivery times. Most of what comes in the mail these days is bills (which can also be viewed online) and direct marketing (which in our household goes pretty much straight to the recycling bin). So what if the DVD from Amazon arrives at 3pm instead of 9am? I'd still be at work anyway. I could probably wait another day for it if need be. If I wanted it that urgently I'd have gone into town and bought it there and then.

If a message is urgent you don't write a letter any more. You email or phone. The Royal Mail used to be the backbone of communication for this country. It's not any more. Move on and let the commie union leaders have their bit of fun while dreaming that they're harming the ruling elite while all they're really doing is making their poorly paid members even worse off.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
what does sully do for a living? because the phrase "service delivery" is classic RM management speak. Not trying to to stir up a bit of anti postal worker/cwu outrage are you?

I'm a quantity surveyor, so no!

I took the letter back to the post office this morning and the guy there was as baffled as me!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No I'm not, look how many items and addresses that Royal Mail has to deliver to six days a week. They do make the odd mistake and are not perfect.

How many times does a letter get looked at in it's travels?

The return address on the back has an ME postcode and the address is typed in capitals.

I understand that mistakes can happen, but it just seems incredible that this one can have ended up on my doormat. I concede that there are many times that letters with bad handwriting in the address get to me when the odds seem stacked against.

I'm not going to join in any complaints about the delivery time for domestic addresses, though. It matters not a jot what time it goes through my letterbox, I just want it to be mine!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I concede that there are many times that letters with bad handwriting in the address get to me when the odds seem stacked against.

I guess we should be grateful it's easier to complain, or else you would have filled this board with praise for the postal service.

How many times does a letter get looked at in it's travels?

The return address on the back has an ME postcode and the address is typed in capitals.

I understand that mistakes can happen, but it just seems incredible that this one can have ended up on my doormat. I concede that there are many times that letters with bad handwriting in the address get to me when the odds seem stacked against.

I'm not going to join in any complaints about the delivery time for domestic addresses, though. It matters not a jot what time it goes through my letterbox, I just want it to be mine!

Asking a question of how many times does a letter get looked at during its travels is like asking how long is a piece of string! What do you mean by looked at? Are you talking about sorting machines, people or both?

FFS, try living anywhere else before you start abusing our postal system. As somebody who has I know how good it really is.

rubbish.

It is total shite now and everyone knows that. My post ,if and when , it gets delivered , seems to be stuffed through the door around 3.00PM!!!!!

I posted some documents in May and they have never been seen again!

And I have been all over the world

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I cant understand why so many people on here are getting so heated up about the time of day that the post arrives. So what if its noon or 3pm? Most of us (unless students with all the time of day on their hands), are leaving for work at the crack of dawn. The post would need to arrive at 7am for it to make any difference to me.

We are amazing in this country. We moan about a good, reasonably priced public service. The bean counters, New Labour politicians/Tories then privatise it. Just like the railways before, when privatisation happens we will hark back to the good old days of public ownership.

Yes, letters do go astray...............I would be amazed if some didn't. But this will pale into insignificance when private contractors take it over. I know for a fact that it was TNT that lost the child benefit discs. Plus, the uniform price will go.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm getting really pissed off now, Tuesday my post didn't even come, Wednesday likewise, it still hasn't come today either. :rant:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
rubbish.

It is total shite now and everyone knows that. My post ,if and when , it gets delivered , seems to be stuffed through the door around 3.00PM!!!!!

I posted some documents in May and they have never been seen again!

And I have been all over the world

Okay, so where have you actually lived where the post was better ? I'd be interested to know as would a few others I'm sure.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I spent over 20 years on the post, including running customer services in Sussex and Croydon (ugh)
We often had similarly baffling complaints like Sully's with an amazing range of reasons coming to light.

You can trace the real decline of the service to that Scottish twat who left the FA to take over at RM. Couple his desperate lack of knowledge of the mail with the union who still think this is 1970 and I am really sorry, but not surprised, to see the state its in now.

And leaving my "job for life" at Royal Mail and going into the real world was a right eye opener that the unions want to think about before they threaten to go on strike.

Okay, so where have you actually lived where the post was better ? I'd be interested to know as would a few others I'm sure.

Australia, India, Finland, france, Germany, Ivory Coast, Italy, Holland, I could go on......and on.....and on

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Australia, India, Finland, france, Germany, Ivory Coast, Italy, Holland, I could go on......and on.....and on

You lived there or just visited, huge difference. Ivory Coast Postal system ? What are you on ? Italy sucks too and the French postal system is a joke. Australia ? I have a very close relative who lived in Aus for 16 years and he has commented on how good our post is.

It's always the same, people slag off our Government, Public Transport, Post, Health system and yet they usually have no idea how much better it is than elsewhere. The UK has it's faults but it has a lot more going for it than just about anywhere else.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
You lived there or just visited, huge difference. Ivory Coast Postal system ? What are you on ? Italy sucks too and the French postal system is a joke. Australia ? I have a very close relative who lived in Aus for 16 years and he has commented on how good our post is.

It's always the same, people slag off our Government, Public Transport, Post, Health system and yet they usually have no idea how much better it is than elsewhere. The UK has it's faults but it has a lot more going for it than just about anywhere else.

Top post!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Apart from the pressent UK Governemnt being a f***ing discrace and a joke, other than that yes, the grass is not always greener on the otherside.

Correct but who has a better government ? At least we don't spend two years trying to elect a new party and within that, we have a far greater choice. Even the BNP, for all their faults, get a hearing, we live in one of the world's few true democracies, don't forget it.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Correct but who has a better government ? At least we don't spend two years trying to elect a new party and within that, we have a far greater choice. Even the BNP, for all their faults, get a hearing, we live in one of the world's few true democracies, don't forget it.

Yes, the system is great. Those currently in are crap IMO of course. But here, they stack up the post and devliver it when they want. Don't get me wrong it gets here just (like everything to do with this country) when they want or can be botherd! :lol:

Even worse, when I was in Bulgaria, their postal service does not even exsist. DHL is the only way in that place.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, the system is great. Those currently in are crap IMO of course. But here, they stack up the post and devliver it when they want. Don't get me wrong it gets here just (like everything to do with this country) when they want or can be botherd! :lol:

Even worse, when I was in Bulgaria, their postal service does not even exsist. DHL is the only way in that place.

Thank you, my point. Postmen and Women have to do their jobs in all weathers for a pittance. Frankly, like a lot of other people who don't get paid for what they're really worth they should be thanked and not abused.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here