Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post match travel advice -E Sussex/Kent

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
After Tuesday night's match I have to hop across to the Eurotunnel terminal and have to be there by half past midnight so allowing for congestion around Falmer I have about 2 hours to make the trip. Normally I would stick to the M23/M25/M2 but my wife reckons the coastall route is a better bet.

Does anyone on here have experience and can advise on the best option given the time constraints

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I get home in Bexhill at around 11:15 pm this season, that is leave my seat on the final whistle and train back to Lewes and drive from there. It all depend on where you usually park.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
thanks for that Gazwag. I park at The Bridge. Normally no problem heading north but I have no experience of what its like getting away from the ground heading east. Presumably the coast road is a lot slower but it is also much shorter even allowing for any roadworks

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looking at RAC Journey planner going across country via Hawkhurst is 20 miles less but takes a little longer but I am not sure about that road and what it is like, it is the A265

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The trip from Lewes to Bexhill isn't actually too bad, but I don't know if there is any congestion on the A27 by the Amex. Its probably about 30 minute driving time for me and the roads are usually pretty clear. Problem is once you get off the dual carriageway at Lewes you have a small bit at Polegate and a very small bit at Bexhill and that's it. If you stuck behind anything or if there are roadwork, which I have experienced coming back from night games, you might struggle. I reckon a safe bet with a deadline could be the motorway route.

You also have 30 mph speed limits from Bexhill all the way to the other side of Hastings, that part will probably take 20 minutes or so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The added advantage of the M25 & M20 is that if time is against you short of a major accident hold up you are able to make up a bit of time by putting your foot down unlike the coast and country roads.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
70 odd miles on coastal route, route planner saying 2 hours.
Knowing the road I would say that is generous, you have to go through Bexhill, Hastings and Rye, so average speed will be 30/50 mph in places.
Depends how quick you get away from The Amex.
Via motorways is 90 odd miles, but dual carriage/motorway all the way, faster travelling and 5th gear all the way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
70 odd miles on coastal route, route planner saying 2 hours.
Knowing the road I would say that is generous, you have to go through Bexhill, Hastings and Rye, so average speed will be 30/50 mph in places.
Depends how quick you get away from The Amex.
Via motorways is 90 odd miles, but dual carriage/motorway all the way, faster travelling and 5th gear all the way.

thanks - that has persuaded me.

Plus if there are any problems I can tell the missus that it's your fault :lol:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
During the day, the big bottleneck is Bexhill to the other side of Hastings. At night, it shouldn't be a problem though. I've driven east after evening games & its always been straightforward. Once past Hastings, the road is pretty basic until you hit the M20, but its not overbusy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here