Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible solution to midfield problem...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just a thought but how about playing McShane centre midfield?

He reads the game superbly, is strong in the tackle, good in the air, quick and composed and a good passer.

Bring El Abd in at centre back with Butters and push McShane into midfield.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
The midfield problem is a lack of creativity. While he is a composed passer I doubt he can thread an incisive ball through a defence with any regularity.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Id partner Hammond and McShane in the middle and let Hammond bomb on and get himself in the box.

Either that or give Nicolas a go alongside Hammond.

Hammond could get us 10 goas a season at least if he played in the middle and they would be the difference between relegation and survival.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
No, no, no. For God's sake McShane is just starting his career and you want to change his position already? ! Also, we desperately need him to play in central defence. MM has said countless times that he's looking for wide players/someone to put their foot on it, so until he finds them, we''re just going to have to make do.

McShane has been one of the success stories of the start to the season, let's not f*** that up .

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets give Harty or Jarrett a go on Saturday. Hart may have had a crap pre season and Jarrett may have been crap last year but at least they have a bit of pace, especially Jarrett.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was just thinking how good Huddlestone looked last season and he switched between Defence and Midfield. Ledley King did the same when starting out and I think Dawson did at Forest as well though I may be wrong.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Just look at the wingers Reading had, 3 with pace and one (Little) with great control and dribbling skills. Look at the amount of times Convey skinned our full backs, then they took him and Little off and brought on Hunt & Oster. Time to give Jarrett a try methinks, on last night's performance the midfield should be:-

LM Jarrett CM Hammond CM Oatway (or Nicolas) RM Reid (or knight if Reid at RB)

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
hammond and chippie, at least chippie has more to his game than tackling, sorry oatway, you do make the bench though.

hey i could get used to picking the team, all i need is an agent me thinks.

I think for our new style of football to work we need composed ball-players at the back. I also think McShane is doing brilliantly in countering the lack of pace in our back 4. Not sure how the player and Man U would be impressed in not developing him in his proper position too - could hinder our chances of getting him longer. So for all those 3 reasons, I'd say no. The best answer remains some cutting edge on the flanks.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
McShane is a defender, and has been brought in to do that job. Play him in the middle and McGhee will then need to go and find another CB.
Remember when Rehman was here on loan and was played in midfield, he was toss, but in his natural position is now a premiership regular centre back.
Hammond should play in the middle of the park but until McGhee finds a left winger he is happy to use (and it doesn't look like Jarrett) then it seems he is stuck out there.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The thing is, what makes sides like Reading so successful with good wide players is that they have central midfielders who also drive the play.

If we had two good wingers Oatway and Carpenter would still just pass sideways and we would be as equally predictable as we are now. Sides would double up on our wingers like they did with Knight last season and we wouldnt get anywhere.

We need a central midfielder who pushes the play forward AND a decent winger.

With someone like Hammon he may not run with the ball but he would create space and draw in defenders with his attacking runs off the ball. This would pull in players from out wide to cover, freeing space for our wingers much in the same way that Hammond and Reid were being pulled in to cover Sidwell and Harper leaving acres of space out wide and exposing Dodd and Mayo.

E

enigma

Doesn't really make sense to move McShane into midfield- in any case it's a bonus having a cultured defender, helps to build from the back. I would like to see midfield of

Reid
Hammond
Oatway/Carpenter
Jarrett

At least give jarrett a try, he could provide us with some balance and boost the supply line.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
My main worry if we moved McShane to midfield would be our utter lack of pace at the back. At least he seems to have a little bit of it, which with all respect is not the case with Dodd, Butters or Mayo.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
what about Ried & Hammond in central midfield & Knight out wide switching wings , this would leave Turienzo & Robinson up front with CKR in the "hole"
Chippy & Oatway on the bench

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Basically cant have Chippy and Oatway in midfield.

I believe that you do need a minder in midfield. If we had Nicolas and Hammond we would be rather lightweight.

Hammond + Chippy or Oatway

Nicolas + Chippy or Oatway.

Chippy and Oatway are the Billy Bonds to the Nicolas, Hammond Trevor Brooking.

Ie Billy did all the donkey work. Cantona would call them 'water carriers' but every team needs one.

Hammond is wated out wide tho. McGhee is trying to find a place for all three and hes gonna have to drop one of them. They dont deserve to be dropped but they cant all fit in the team. Also, McShane is no way a midfielder....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here