Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Possible new football rules

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Self pass is a no brainer. I coach hockey and it revolutionised the game. It makes it so quick. It stops arguing with officials too because if someone argues then the fouled player is gone. It seems bizarre that when a team gets a free kick they are effectively a man down ie you don’t need to mark the person taking the free kick because they can’t take it to themselves. Anyone who gets in the way of self pass should go to the sin bin for 5 or ten mins. It soon stops it.

I don't get the argument people bring up of "it works in hockey". No offense, but if you want that, go watch hockey.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. Leave the game alone, it's brilliant as it is.

... is what they also said before introducing substitutes, yellow/red cards, switched from lottery to penalties, removed the possibility of some Irish keeper picking up and dropping the ball for ten minutes straight in a World Cup...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don't get the argument people bring up of "it works in hockey". No offense, but if you want that, go watch hockey.

It works because it means that you can’t just foul someone to slow the game down if they are breaking away. It prevents the cynical foul. The aims of hockey and rugby are the same ie you score balls. I would never suggest scrapping offside in football because of the ball going in the air but the self pass rule is a no brainer.

Why do you think it wouldn’t be an improvement? Are you a fan of cynical fouls? Purposefully slowing the game down? Do you think football would be worse if it was a faster game?

Dismissing an idea simply because it comes from a different sport without thinkin about whether it improved or damaged the sport seems an odd position to take. Have you seen hockey with the self pass rule and seen how much it speeds up the game?

Someone like lamptey would have a field day with the self pass rule. It would be so exciting.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
... is what they also said before introducing substitutes, yellow/red cards, switched from lottery to penalties, removed the possibility of some Irish keeper picking up and dropping the ball for ten minutes straight in a World Cup...

I would add being allowed defenders in the box for goal kicks so the defending team can keep position and play out from the back rather than hoof it.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It works because it means that you can’t just foul someone to slow the game down if they are breaking away. It prevents the cynical foul. The aims of hockey and rugby are the same ie you score balls. I would never suggest scrapping offside in football because of the ball going in the air but the self pass rule is a no brainer.

Why do you think it wouldn’t be an improvement? Are you a fan of cynical fouls? Purposefully slowing the game down? Do you think football would be worse if it was a faster game?

Dismissing an idea simply because it comes from a different sport without thinkin about whether it improved or damaged the sport seems an odd position to take. Have you seen hockey with the self pass rule and seen how much it speeds up the game?

Someone like lamptey would have a field day with the self pass rule. It would be so exciting.

I remember reading an analysis of how City cynically foul their way through games to break up attacks and threats and just how many fouls they commit without a yellow card compared, to say, Burnley. Anything that prevents a team like City seeing fouls as a systemic, repetitive and low-risk way of dominating a game has to be a good thing.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Firstly, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way it currently works.

You say cynical fouls and slowing the game down, but you're talking about nuances of the game. Nuances which make the sport what it is. You say its an improvement, but what you're talking about could radically change the game and in my opinion that isn't a given that it would be an improvement.

The ability to be defensive is every teams right. A few years back Barcelona moaned because Chelsea parked the bus against them. Barcelona has scored in every game at home, so why shouldn't Chelsea decide to stop them, good luck to them. That is most definitely part of football, and no I'm not a fan of taking that away.

And I like I say Hockey is a different sport with a different set of nuances. If it works in hockey, great for hockey fans. But that doesn't mean it's automatically right for football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You say cynical fouls and slowing the game down, but you're talking about nuances of the game. Nuances which make the sport what it is. You say its an improvement, but what you're talking about could radically change the game and in my opinion that isn't a given that it would be an improvement.

The ability to be defensive is every teams right. A few years back Barcelona moaned because Chelsea parked the bus against them. Barcelona has scored in every game at home, so why shouldn't Chelsea decide to stop them, good luck to them. That is most definitely part of football, and no I'm not a fan of taking that away.

And I like I say Hockey is a different sport with a different set of nuances. If it works in hockey, great for hockey fans. But that doesn't mean it's automatically right for football.

Nuances, as in cheating ? I could do with less of that thanks, especially from the likes of City who routinely stop promising breaks with a cynical tug or clip before it gets going. They're not the only culprits, but they're known for it. I just do not see the downside.

Attackers would feign injury less, because there would be a clear advantage in jumping up and getting on with it to continue the break.
Defenders wouldn't have the chance to gob off at the referee about the foul, because they'd have to get immediately back intp position to repel if the player self-passes.
The game would flow quicker as a result.

Plus the self-pass is optional. If a player wants a dig at goal from a free kick he still can.

You gain loads, and lose nothing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Lots of hockey people said “don’t be daft. It might work in rugby but this is hockey, if you don’t like it then watch rugby” then they tried it and realised that it is brilliant when the game flows more quickly and players have to get back in position quickly. Yes it means we won’t have those exciting 2 minutes of players surrounding the referee arguing about a decision but hey we could learn to live with that.

Did you get angry when they stopped allowing keepers to pick up back passes because it meant teams couldn’t be cynical and time waste for ten minutes?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
1. yeah, no reason not to.
2. stupid
3. stupid on toast.
4. yes.
5. no.

anything timed is stupid, requires the ref to watch their wrist rather than the game.

This with the exception of 1.

Feels like a working group justifying their existence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree comparison to other sports isnt necessarily a good reason. agree defence is legitimate tactic and an art in itself. think the point is we current have a lot of cynical fouls as part of game management. the benefit of self-pass, and not waiting for the opposition to set themselves defensively from a foul, gives the attacking team rightful advantage and would make football better as a spectacle. teams can still be organised, park the bus, just not gain advantage from body blocking and minor tackles up field to break up attacks.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) - Stupid idea
2) - Stupid idea
3) - Stupid idea
4) - Could work
5) - Stupid idea

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1. yeah, no reason not to.
2. stupid
3. stupid on toast.
4. yes.
5. no.

anything timed is stupid, requires the ref to watch their wrist rather than the game.

Timing responsibilities likely to be taken away from the referee in professional matches. At present teams such as Burnley have the ball in play for an average of about 47 minutes as they are drilled that way to maximise time wasting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont know why people have issues with the self-pass. It should easily be the least controversial one.

They tried these new rules in a game between Fortuna Sittard and Suriprofs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGCRQxowFQE

What it resulted in was that there was no longer any idea to stand a decimeter from the free kick taker just to prevent a quick free kick. Players also quickly found out that there was no time to go to the ref and moan about a decision, they had to get back and defend once fouling someone. I think self-pass being allowed would greatly increase the flow of the game.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Dont know why people have issues with the self-pass. It should easily be the least controversial one.

They tried these new rules in a game between Fortuna Sittard and Suriprofs:

What it resulted in was that there was no longer any idea to stand a decimeter from the free kick taker just to prevent a quick free kick. Players also quickly found out that there was no time to go to the ref and moan about a decision, they had to get back and defend once fouling someone. I think self-pass being allowed would greatly increase the flow of the game.

Thanks for the info. Anything that stops the current nonsense of players moaning at the ref, standing too close to a free kick to prevent it being taken, and similar nonsnse just to slow the game down is a big plus from me :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Currently at a free kick all oppo players must be 10yds away but this is rarely policed.

Any oppo player within 10yds that is interfering with play, immediate yellow. That should stop any “standing over the ball to stop free kick being taken”.

That might negate the “need” for the self pass, although they should try that idea if they don’t police the above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here