Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible changes to the FA Cup

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Have just listened to the podcast of saturday`s 606 and Alan Green was saying that the FA are thinking of ways to improve the FA Cup.

One was fair enough which was no replays however it was also suggested that all ties are played midweek.

For me that would kill the competition.
Lets face it how many would we have taken to Villa Park for an evening match?

Any thought`s or suggestions?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Yeah but a one off game could be more exciting and possibly lead to more giantkillings.

The thought of not playing at the weekend is a no go for me.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
fa cup games in any round tend to be more exiting to watch and much prefer them than premireship games,very little to change although i think the championship clubs should be included in round 1 and premireship in round 2 if thats workable,thatl cheer arsen and alex up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why exactly does the FA cup need to be "improved"? is that code for easier for the bigger clubs? its fine the way it has been for decades, the only change possibly improving it would to go back to different neutral grounds for the Semis.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One way they can improve the FA Cup is to do away with the Premier league clubs coming in during the 3rd round. They should play from the first round like the rest of the football league.

This way it can have a massive beneficial effect on smaller clubs, for example - If a non league team reaches the first round, they would have a chance of getting a dream draw against a Premier League side, and could generate much needed income that could keep them in business and help spread income down the leagues again.

Doing away with replays is a bad idea, and would only benefit the Premier League sides who want to play fewer games each season (yet play to qualify for Europe and the extra games that brings) Smaller clubs benefit financially from replays and the extar income they can bring.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I think the concern is that a lot of fans give the FA Cup a miss unless its a big game like we had against Villa. The crowds we got against Wycombe and Rushden were poor.
Man City v Stoke was 19,000 down on what they got for their league game in the christmas programme.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the concern is that a lot of fans give the FA Cup a miss unless its a big game like we had against Villa.

and moving to mid week will help this how?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If you want to make the FA cup more exciting give the winner a Champs League place. That will get a few more big clubs interested Im sure.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Man City v Stoke was 19,000 down on what they got for their league game in the christmas programme.

Is that surprising given that every league match is an FA Cup final for Stock this season and therefore another match against a team they have already played away is not much of a draw.

No penalties would be good and go back to the replay until you win situation, like Liverpool and Arsenal played either three or four matches in the FA Cup in the late 70's or maybe early 80's.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA should be doing what's best for football. I believe replays are an important source of income for smaller clubs - given their financial woes I'm sure Simon Jordan would have taken a replay at Villa Park over extra time and penalties at Selhurst.

Similarly, when smaller clubs play a big club away and are level at 90 minutes they deserve a replay at home. Nine times out of ten the bigger club with a better bench will get through in extra time.

I don't see much wrong with the FA Cup as it is.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If it aint broke don't fix it. The FA Cup is a wonderful competition, the envy of every other domestic cup competition in the world and we should keep it the way it is.

The F.A have got far more sense than to mess with the format like this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I recall at the start of the season people where moaning about the FA Cup dying and there being no shocks.

Leeds knocked out Man Utd and took spurs to a replay, both sides fielded strong sides.

Reading Knocked out Liverpool and Burnley

Notts county knocked out Wigan

This seasons cup has been really good, with some close games

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Maybe the only change that is needed is to (as mentioned before) bring the prem and Championship sides in the fold from round 1. Its the FA Cup Propper from round 1. So why do they get byes (in effect) to the third round?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Can't see the harm in settling it 'on the night' or at least having extra time for the first match - IF both clubs agree in advance. Can't see who gains from Bolton-Spurs having a replay ...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If you want to make the FA cup more exciting give the winner a Champs League place. That will get a few more big clubs interested Im sure.

The voice of reason.

Why should clubs get a CL place for coming FOURTH!!

Give the winners of the FA Cup an automatic CL place.

Might see some of the Premier League clubs put out stronger sides, and a 'different' team qualify for the CL.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The F.A have got far more sense than to mess with the format like this.

Would that be the same FA who were advocating the infamous "39th Game", to be played between the likes of Bolton and Wigan in such footballing hotbeds as Malaysia and Thailand?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The voice of reason.

Why should clubs get a CL place for coming FOURTH!!

Give the winners of the FA Cup an automatic CL place.

Might see some of the Premier League clubs put out stronger sides, and a 'different' team qualify for the CL.

or at least a play off with the 4th place team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here