Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positions to strengthen?

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Left back. No way is Painter good enough for the championship. Striker, need someone who will guarantee goals in the Champ. Centre back, as cover and competition for Greer and El Abd. Possibly a top class centre midfielder also.

That'll do for me

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Left back. No way is Painter good enough for the championship. Striker, need someone who will guarantee goals in the Champ. Centre back, as cover and competition for Greer and El Abd. Possibly a top class centre midfielder also.

That'll do for me

do you watch any football?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think "no way is Painter good enough for the championship" is a bit OTT. A lot of Swansea fans thought he was good enough when playing in the Championship, remember he has spent time with Birmingham too, he IS a quality player.

I do think though we may look for someone a bit quicker, but no panic from me if Marcos starts our first game of next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A full back cover for both Calderon and Painter, either an adaptable player or 2 players, 1 x cover for Greer and El Abd, replacement for Kishishev/Dicker, striker to add competition to both Barnes and Murray. Possibly either an experienced No 1 or cover for Ankergren. I think that it is mainly squad players we need, but I can see Gus bringing in about 5 or 6 new players as first choice and the existing players be the cover..

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Think we'll need to strengthen all areas;

- GK
- LB
- CB
- RB
- Winger that can play both wings
- CM
- ST

This is assuming we keep the current bunch, including Wood.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
If we are serious about the Championship next season then we'll need:-
A top class centre back
Some cover both right & left back
A top class creative midfielder
Cover for the both right & left wings
And a top class striker.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Centre back is definitely a position that does NOT need strengthening. Greer, El Abd, Elphick and Dunk are all capable of playing in the Championship.

I think up front is where any weakness lies.

Murray has been fantastic this season, but I doubt he'll be as effective a level up and Barnes simply isn't good enough imo.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We've done this thread before and without counting chickens agree about full-back cover/competition. Also need a new goalkeeper, a wise old head in midfield, Lua Lua and a proven goal scorer. Don't think we need centre backs.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Centre back is definitely a position that does NOT need strengthening. Greer, El Abd, Elphick and Dunk are all capable of playing in the Championship.

I think up front is where any weakness lies.

Murray has been fantastic this season, but I doubt he'll be as effective a level up and Barnes simply isn't good enough imo.

I agree with El-Abd and Greer but not Elphick. Dunk is still a very young lad with alot to learn so I would want another CB. Cant see tommy staying if he is going to be on the bench next season and not sure he's up to championship level.

I would also question Barnes not being good enough. Whilst I think we need to bring in another striker, maybe even two, AB has come on beyond recognition compared to last season imo. If he can continue to improve he can play at championship level.

For me we need to strengthen out wide so cover/competition for LB, RB, LM and RM are vital for next season. If Bennett gets injured or heaven forbid sold we need someone to replace him and I dont think we have anyone that could come close to him in the current squad.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I really don't think we will be anywhere near getting top class players. We wont be able to compete with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man U, etc in the Championship. And anyway why would a top class player want to drop into the 2nd tier!?

:lol::lol::lol: You are a clown!

Obviously a top class championship player! :sheep:

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
I think we need a top class keeper, or defo a young up and coming one to shadow Casper. I agree with numerous others that a winger is a must. With my two pence on the Painter debate, at certain points this year he has looked weak, and I doubt he will be able to step it up next year. But thats just me thinking aloud!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think we need another striker, someone who has experience from playing in the Championship, someone that knows what the league is all about. I think we need another winger, RB and an attacking midfielder.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A decent goalkeeper.........Joe Lewis
A RB............Paul McShane
A CB............Ingimarson
A LB............Ian Harte
A RM............Wagstaff
A CM............Wes Hoolahan
A LM............K.Lualua
A ST............L.Lualua

These are just examples of the sort of player we would need to improve the existing squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here