Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posh v Albion

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
That did not tell us anything we did not already know. We need to bring in 3 or 4 quality signings who will be part of the first team squad. With only one friendly left and two weeks before the first game proper, the club needs to get its skates on or we'll be playing catch up in the first month or two of the season.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Not a great performance but pre season so fitness more important than result. However, it is clear that a couple of the replacements, Ward for example, are needed now rather than by the end of August as some indicate is okay.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I'm really not sure what everyone see's in Rohan Ince as a midfield player. He had some very good defensive displays last season, but his passing, vision and even his touch really aren't very good, especially when facing forward.
Yes of course he is a big, strong lad and made some good interceptions/last gasp tackles. But I want more than that from my midfield players!
Would much prefer to see him at centre back.

Really I thought he showed good feet on more than one occasion.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I am now even more worried about what lies ahead this season. We looked poor for much of the game and devoid of any real shape and ideas. Sami needs to learn fast and the club need to understand that this team will not be able effectively to compete in the Championship without 4-5 good quality signings.

Don't you think that the club already know this...you cannot just go out,choose a player and he'll turn up at the Amex with his boots.
Friendlies are just a run out to test fitness and see where you can improve...if you go on Friendly results then when we beat Chelsea 3-1 we should've walked the Championship.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Based on about an hour of the game:

Ankegren: let's hope he's our third choice keeper this season
Dunk: is class
Hughes: is certainly no Upson, made a few errors and got skinned once too often
Chicksen: has gone backwards, he looks weak, control lets him down, passing wayward; Ward please
Ince: looks really assured in that role, his passing is improving too
Kemy: too many forward passes going astray and, beyond passing, he doesn't have too many other attributes
Fenelon: fast, direct, good in the air, makes good decisions, scores goals
O'Grady: holds it up, and links well. Looks a good signing

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wobbly little geek ? Thanks. My my, your toys are being thrown out the pram early arent they !! We still have 2 weeks left to work things with 5 weeks of a transfer window left.

Now, want me to give your toys back so you can throw them out again if we lose to Southampton in a friendly where the result isnt actually important as most people in football will tell you ?

Go back through this thread and see if you can find any posts from me ranting about today's result, moaning about the score or writing anything negative about the Albion. Other than 1 post which reads 'bit poor really' ,which it was, my only contribution was to ask you about telling people they're wrong all the time, so your attempt at being comically patronising hasn't really worked because what you're saying is absolute tosh. I couldn't give a toss about the score, I'd just like to see some sort of pattern to our play, a bit of direction, the last 2 games have not shown either.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
That did not tell us anything we did not already know. We need to bring in 3 or 4 quality signings who will be part of the first team squad. With only one friendly left and two weeks before the first game proper, the club needs to get its skates on or we'll be playing catch up in the first month or two of the season.

It will be catch up like last season but I fear we will not be strong enough

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Don't you think that the club already know this...you cannot just go out,choose a player and he'll turn up at the Amex with his boots.
Friendlies are just a run out to test fitness and see where you can improve...if you go on Friendly results then when we beat Chelsea 3-1 we should've walked the Championship.

I don't doubt for one moment that the club know this. What I'm concerned about is their willingness and motivation to do anything about it. We always seem to find it so much easier to sell players than buy them.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
For the second time we have heard the new manager wants to be quicker in attack. Yet again the players put in a lethargic, toothless display. I know it's only a friendly so I am going to pretend that I'm not panicking......................... aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
OK with reservations

Second half only. Midfield possession and passing did not seem to be too bad, much easier on the eye like the Poyet days, a big plus. Defence on the left hand side (only side tested) as dreadful as it was against Derby (worrying but one signing away of being resolved). I thought we needed a stopper centre half, especially for corners before this game.

Possession without hurting the opposition sounds familiar. Lualua looked very promising. Macca looked dreadful. Buckley did not get involved enough.
I could not see the faces clearly. Who was our number 23?

I think Sami must have a good idea of the players after this match.

I think we need a keeper, stopper centre half, left back, striker that can go to the near post. And a playmaker for free kicks and corners.

Kemy Agustien: undecided. His passes were telegraphed a bit and intercepted, too quick to pass if anything.

Rohan Ince: getting better.

Last edited:

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Based on what I've seen so far I'm more concerned about Sami's approach than the lack of signings. I'm confident the signings will come before the end of the window, I'm not as convinced Sami's methods and philosophy will work for us. I do appreciate it's only pre-season games but the warning signs are already there, IMO. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong :)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This current squad is woefully short of depth and quality coming into this seasons championship campaign. Let's hope we do make some signings between now and September.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Really I thought he showed good feet on more than one occasion.

You're right, I'm probably being overly harsh. He is a great prospect.
Just think if he is going to play in midfield, then the formation and players around him have to really suit him.
I.e. He isn't gonna get you a goal, is he going to play that great through ball? I don't know.
Just think his strengths suit that of a centre back more so...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes and Yes

Agreed. Kaz and Buckley are not whizzing down the wings like last season destroying their hamstrings. Toko and Stephens will probably be picked ahead of Kemy when everybody is fit.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Nail. On. Head. Careful tho', you're not allowed to criticize our beloved club's failings in the recruitment dept.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Second half only. Midfield possession and passing did not seem to be too bad, much easier on the eye like the Poyet days, a big plus. Defence on the left hand side (only side tested) as dreadful as it was against Derby (worrying but one signing away of being resolved). I thought we needed a stopper centre half, especially for corners before this game.

Posession without hurting the opposition sounds familiar. Lualua looked very promising. Macca looked dreadful. Buckley did not get involved enough.
I could not see the faces clearly. Who was our number 23?

I think Sami must have a good idea of the players after this match.

I think we need a keeper, stopper centre half, left back, striker that can go to the near post.

And it would be helpful if at least one of the signings could take a decent free kick and corner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I thought it was 2-1, anyway I keep seeing this comparison. Chelsea, European Champions, went into that season and were shit just as they were in that friendly, culminating in De Matteo getting the sack so not really a great example of how pre season games don't matter.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Fail to prepare. Prepare to fail. Old saying, but so true.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Based on about an hour of the game:

Ankegren: let's hope he's our third choice keeper this season
Dunk: is class
Hughes: is certainly no Upson, made a few errors and got skinned once too often
Chicksen: has gone backwards, he looks weak, control lets him down, passing wayward; Ward please
Ince: looks really assured in that role, his passing is improving too
Kemy: too many forward passes going astray and, beyond passing, he doesn't have too many other attributes
Fenelon: fast, direct, good in the air, makes good decisions, scores goals
O'Grady: holds it up, and links well. Looks a good signing

I have to say that is a great summary.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
This current squad is woefully short of depth and quality coming into this seasons championship campaign. Let's hope we do make some signings between now and September.

Agree with what you have said but would add that the signings need to be before August 9th rather than Sept.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here