Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth really are a SHAMBLES, aren't they?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
They only had three on the bench last time out, and for this one Halford will be suspended, and many think that Utaka and Nugent will not be playing, because cup-tying them will affect the chances of shipping them out in the window.

You’d think so wouldn’t you but not according to my neighbour who is one of them football agents. He reckons he had lined up a move for Utaka to a club who would pick up the remainder of his contract. Cotterill apparently said no as he likes him as a player even though he is on 70, I repeat, 70 large a week. He also kept this info from the chairman. Naughty. Naughty.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Players need to be playing and both players will get games elsewhere if they are moved on. They've obviously said to their agents get us a move, otherwise we'll sit tight and take the cash. David James is a different breed of footballer, a guy who would play if the wages were peanuts - he's made a mssive amount of cash by playing Prem football for 15+ years yet still turns out for Bristol City at age 40. I'd written him off as England keeper, and even allowing for the lack of quality in that position it was remarkable how he fought to regain the top spot at the World Cup just before his 40th birthday.

The likes, of Brown and Hughes, on the other hand, would be quite happy to bleed Pompey dry.

They're beyond bleeding, and on to the bone marrow now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The likes, of Brown and Hughes, on the other hand, would be quite happy to bleed Pompey dry.

This is exactly the perception that Pompey are trying to encourage. It means they can sell them without any complaints from the fans, for one thing.

However, it might just not be the truth.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Sounds reasonable to me :shrug:

You makes yer bed...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway, any chance of passing on HKFC's record suggestions to Attila? :whistle:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You’d think so wouldn’t you but not according to my neighbour who is one of them football agents. He reckons he had lined up a move for Utaka to a club who would pick up the remainder of his contract. Cotterill apparently said no as he likes him as a player even though he is on 70, I repeat, 70 large a week. He also kept this info from the chairman. Naughty. Naughty.

If this is true, then Cotterill is an utter moron, for :

a. Risking his job by acting in such a manner, so clearly to the detriment of the club's financial health.

b. Thinking that he could not spend even half of those wages, on at least three decent players who would do far more for him this season than Utaka ever would.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Michael Brown is a FAR better footballer than Kitson, and according to a quote from Liam Lawrence in the Pompey local rag, Brown has offered to waive the clause and take a FIFTY % pay cut, but the club won't talk to them.

Yes, for now. Next week they will be signing players, don't worry, despite having STILL not paid their non football creditors :angry:
I think you're being frightfully harsh on their marvellous fans, who now they are a complete joke have stuck by them to a man. They are still packing them in to the tune 20,000 in their splendid, famous old stadium.

In no way should you believe their official attendance figures that hover around the 14,000 mark, because that would represent an alarmingly almost unbelievably fickle 6,000 (or 35%) drop off in the few months since they were relegated yet reached the FA Cup final, and a good 3,000 fewer than teams like Reading and Hull manage after relegation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Almost every report says their first 11 is the strongest in the division - with not much else. If they start fielding the reserves - it could be very amusing indeed.

their "reserves" are presumably youth team players** and for whatever reason they refuse to include them in matchday squads - self inflicted wounds when they then complain about not having any cover

** sorry - just seen that they can't afford a youth team because of paying Utaka's (insert any one of several names) wages

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brown / Hughes:

Angry Lawrence calls for club backing - Portsmouth Today

As it stands, there have been no talks between the midfield duo and chief executive David Lampitt for a month.

That is despite Hughes stating he wants to waive the clause in his current deal which would entitle him to a new contract next season at his existing wage level.

Instead, he says he is keen to take a 50-per-cent pay cut.

The continuing stalemate has prompted an angry outburst from Lawrence.

He said: 'It's very, very, very frustrating with Brownie and Hughesie.

'I know for a fact Hughesie has offered to take a 50-per-cent pay cut to sign and the club are doing nothing to meet him anywhere in between.
'People might be scared about saying some stuff but I'm not.

'I just wish the club would sort it out because they have a good set of players here and if they add to it and sort Brownie and Hughesie out we could really go places.

'I don't want the fans to think Brownie and Hughesie are asking for mega money when they are not.

'They have offered to take massive, massive cuts but the club are not even speaking to them.

'They are not being greedy and I just wish the club would come back and say "right, okay then let's talk about this" or "let's try to do this", but they are just not interested.

'These players come down here every game, they are in the dressing rooms, they travel to away games, they are part of things, yet they can't play, they can't do their job.

'It really makes me angry.

'The manager is working with both hands behind his back at times and it is frustrating because he is a good guy. He's professional and just wants this club to do well.

'They need to back us.

'I can't say too much or I will probably get fined but they have got to start with what is here already with Brownie and Hughesie.

'Brownie was a massive part of things when we went on that great run, Hughesie was doing his part and is a really, really good player.

'They have offered to take cuts, massive cuts. Not just 10 per cent or 20 per cent but 50-per-cent cuts.

'The club are still not doing anything, though, so I would urge them to sort it out.'

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not entirely sure I've grasped this, as the whole Pompey saga is dull and unending, at least the financial aspects are, but there seems to be some suggestion now that, having put the Creditor's Voluntary Agreement in place, which secures "payment" of 20p in the pound for the non-footballing creditors, PFC are now hinting that they can't afford to pay even that amount. Hence the rumours about selling Lawrence etc I guess.

Personally, I'd say that is a massive kick in the balls if you're the owner of a company owed (say) £25,000 by Portsmouth and they're telling you that they can't even give you 20p in the pound, while at the same time paying individual players as much in one WEEK as the little man is owed in total.

Any accountants on here? Surely if you set up a CVA to dodge your debts and then fail to comply with the terms of the CVA there must be some sort of comeback?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Anyway, any chance of passing on HKFC's record suggestions to Attila? :whistle:

Now you have mentioned him Im sure he is WATCHING.

Good shout by HKFC.

Inevitably more crap from The Clash. Probably I Fought the Law. Which I will let him have as Pompey are visiting and they have spent alot of time in court.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, who EVER would have predicted that their nicknames would be BROWNIE and HUGHESIE??

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If this is true, then Cotterill is an utter moron, for :

a. Risking his job by acting in such a manner, so clearly to the detriment of the club's financial health.

b. Thinking that he could not spend even half of those wages, on at least three decent players who would do far more for him this season than Utaka ever would.

I have no idea how true it is but what I can say is that the man telling me the story sounded gutted enough for it to be – After all he gets paid when they move.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is some kind of ruling whereby a player cannot move twice in the same window, so Lawrence is seemingly stuck with Pompey.

However, I think Jermain Defoe got around that once, possibly connected to Cheat FC's financial problems, so all hope is not lost. Though I can't really see why a Premier League club would be after Lawrence anyway, and even less one that is about to sack their manager (West Ham).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As long as he isnt spinning discs at Falmer let the dinosaur have his fun.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hang on, when did they sign Lawrence? I thought he was only on loan?

They were allowed to SIGN him? WHAT THE f***?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here