Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth really are a SHAMBLES, aren't they?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Duo set to go - Portsmouth Today

04 January 2011
By Jordan Cross
Steve Cotterill has admitted he cannot see either Michael Brown or Richard Hughes wearing a Pompey shirt again.
The Blues boss feels the midfield duo are unlikely to resolve their current contract disputes with the club.

Cotterill also revealed he's in the dark about any bids for Liam Lawrence in the wake of the 3-2 defeat to Hull.

Both Brown and Hughes were forced to sit out that loss yesterday as their contract wrangle rumbles on.

If either midfielder plays one more game for Pompey, they would be entitled to new deals on wages the club cannot afford.

That has forced a stand-off between the players and Pompey.

But despite hopes an agreement could be ironed out, neither Brown or Hughes have held further talks with chief executive David Lampitt, who was not at yesterday's game.

And boss Cotterill does not expect to be able to call on either player again.

He said: 'I can't see it being sorted for love nor money. I can't see it. I've accepted it.

'The only way Michael and Richard will play here again, I think, is if they take that clause out of their contracts.

'That's not to pressure them. It's their prerogative.

'I get on really well with those boys but that's their prerogative.

'It's a contractual issue. They have business and career decisions to make and it's a short career but there's little I can do about that.

'An offer's been made and it doesn't look enough. I don't think there will be any give in that offer.

'If something happens and they can move on, that is going to happen because we haven't been able to agree anything.

'They get to further and enhance their careers.

'I think we have got to where we are money-wise.

'What hasn't happened is there hasn't been any negotiation.

'The club's gone straight in and they potentially thought there could be a bit of negotiation.

'There hasn't really been any of that. The offer's been what we can afford for those lads. That's basically the truth and nuts and bolts of it.

'I can only be as honest as I can with it. I want to know if I have those players available to me.

'It's really what has messed us up over the past three or four games.'

Talk of a £4m bid from West Ham for Lawrence surfaced yesterday but Cotterill has not heard of anything on that front. He also wants to know whether Tal Ben Haim will be returning to Pompey from his loan stay at Upton Park.

Cotterill explained Matt Ritchie is close to moving to Swindon for a fee rising to £250,000, however.

He said: 'I haven't got a clue (about a bid for Lawrence). Not a clue. I don't know about it. If there was any truth I would probably be the last one to hear anything about it, though.

'The deal's not bad for Matt. The deal will probably go through in the coming days. I'm waiting for an email to confirm it all.

'I'm pleased for him. He's a good lad. But I haven't got a clue with Tal Ben Haim.

'He's doing all right at the moment. We could do with him back. I have not got a clue what's going on. It would be nice to know.'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Reading the comments on a couple of the articles, many of their fans are FAR from optimistic about Saturday.

They only had three on the bench last time out, and for this one Halford will be suspended, and many think that Utaka and Nugent will not be playing, because cup-tying them will affect the chances of shipping them out in the window.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He said: 'I can't see it being sorted for love nor money. I can't see it. I've accepted it.

really? seem that for an amount money the situation would be instantly resolve. funny how people throw out cliches without considering the meaning.

pompey still not quite understanding this concept of contrats and obligations, it even extends to players.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Reading the comments on a couple of the articles, many of their fans are FAR from optimistic about Saturday.

They only had three on the bench last time out, and for this one Halford will be suspended, and many think that Utaka and Nugent will not be playing, because cup-tying them will affect the chances of shipping them out in the window.

It gets better and better

what I can't understand is why they will play with three or four on the bench when it's the ideal opportunity to give experience to some youngsters - they must have some sort of youth set-up surely and even getting close to first team action will enhance their experience and potentially add a little cash value

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Excuse me, while I just get my tiny, tiny violin out...how does the world's saddest song go again?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Seems like Halford has gone back to Wolves anyway!

Halford appeal rejected

Tue, 04 Jan 16:47:15 2011

retweet
* Email
* Print

Greg Halford has lost his appeal against the red card he was shown during Portsmouth's 3-0 defeat to Watford on New Year`s Day.

The versatile player, who has now finished his loan spell at Fratton Park and moved back to parent club Wolves, was dismissed in added time at Vicarage Road.

His three-match ban will start with Wolves' game against Chelsea on Wednesday.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This really is splendid news. Not only should we beat them, but surely relegation can't be ruled out for these tin pot thieving twats and their smelly chav followers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here