Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Back In Court Tomorrow

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seems as though HMRC are furious with Portsmouth and it is believed they want Portsmouth to be wound up.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
how much do they owe HMRC?? Also anyone know the amount you get in parachute payments now?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Only £11 Million owed to HMRC.

The taxman is not happy with them going into voluntary administration and Sky are reporting that HMRC are wanting to make a stand in cases like this. Portsmouth could be in big shit

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
ouch!

someone at HMRC defo doesn't like them......I thought administration meant the winding-up hearing was suspended?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
they will (unfortunately) never get wound up - just wont happen.

bunch of ****s

The way Sky are reporting it there is a very real possibility of them being wound up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Must be elsewhere, but the administrator said on Five-5 on Sunday, Pompey were trading at a loss of £2-3 million a month.
They can't get rid of any players as the contracts would cost more than they would save.
Fratton Park is within his job, but the surrounding land is owned by Guydemack (sp).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good. well sort of. i dont want to see a team go, but they have taken the piss and it's looked for the past weekend like the administration is a potential tuck up a la Leeds. The previous hearing already said they were trading insolvent and gave them a little time to see if a buy could be found. they've then gone for administration, clearly an admission that no one will touch them in their current state.

we can only hope football authorities wake up and start by having a better relationship with the revenue.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am right behind HMRC on this. Football is taking the piss. They know 12 months down the line they might be blowing that on Carlos Kickaball. Pay your taxes. The country is not footballs' bank.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's looking more like HMRC are using this case to stamp their authority over football clubs. Unlikely to see them wound up tomorrow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you or me spent £10K a month and only earnt £5K we all adult enough to understand we would go bust at some point.

There is nothing different here live beyond your means and eventually you will pay for it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What has made me really angry is all the talk (Grant/the administrator/BBC Match of the Day!!) that the points deduction is unfair in some way - as if trading while insolvent and seeking to gain an advantage thereby is an acceptable way to do business.

TBH if they were wound-up it should be a salutory lesson although I doubt many in football (if the likes of Linekar, Shearer and Hanson are at all representative) would learn from it and I can't honestly see it happening

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
I couldn't believe Lineker on MoTD Saturday. He said he couldn't understand points were deducted for a club going into administration!!

Er....because they're effectively cheating by obtaining players they can't afford thereby getting a competitive advantage over clubs that do manage their finances responsibly and removing the ability of other clubs that CAN afford the players to buy them instead.

Just shows what a bubble the so-called faces of football live in. How many times have clubs gone into administration and only now, as a Premiership club is affected, does he pay (a very little) attention.

:rant:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I couldn't believe Lineker on MoTD Saturday. He said he couldn't understand points were deducted for a club going into administration!!

Er....because they're effectively cheating by obtaining players they can't afford thereby getting a competitive advantage over clubs that do manage their finances responsibly and removing the ability of other clubs that CAN afford the players to buy them instead.

:rant:

Er, do you mean the LEICESTER fan, Gary Lineker? :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here