Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth are likely to have "no alternative" but to close on 10 August

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes I do remember this. That was when the likes of Defoe, Crouch, Sol Campbell where playing for them. In the back of my mind I did find it strange how Portsmouth where attracting such high quality players. Well a few years later we had our answer, they couldn't. And even after everything that had happend they still offered highly lucrative contracts to players.

This whole thing has now gone too far, and I bet any real Pompey supporter must be absolutely cringing about all this. The best thing Portsmouth could do now is go in to liquidation because honestly their situation is only going to get worse. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up selling their ground as well. I actually feel a little bit sorry for Portsmouth.

Portsmouth is an example to every other club in the football league. This is what happens when you get the wrong people in to run your club, without the money and infrastructure to support it.

What happend with this investor
Portsmouth set for a Sheik-up: Reports claim Arab takeover at Fratton Park is imminent | Mail Online

The end of that article seems quit poignant:

'It’s fantastic news,' said Nigel Tressider, chairman of the official Portsmouth FC supporters club.

'He will be welcomed with open arms by the terrific Portsmouth fans. I don’t think he would have bought the club unless he has enough money to put it on the right track and that is going to take a lot of money, hundreds of millions of pounds.'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seeing Pompey go to the wall will only be of benefit if the FA consequently wake up and attempt to deal with some of the absurd problems we see in football. Principally:

* the current fit and proper owners test is an absolute crock of shit and will be the death of professional football in this country. Tighten it up NOW.
* the game is awash with money, yet most pro clubs are running at a heavy loss. This is shameful. Go and have a look at how they do things in Germany please.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seeing Pompey go to the wall will only be of benefit if the FA consequently wake up and attempt to deal with some of the absurd problems we see in football. Principally:

* the current fit and proper owners test is an absolute crock of shit and will be the death of professional football in this country. Tighten it up NOW.
* the game is awash with money, yet most pro clubs are running at a heavy loss. This is shameful. Go and have a look at how they do things in Germany please.

Your opinion on this has to be suspect and taken with a pinch of salt as I KNOW that you hate Pompey more than any other sports team in the world :smile:

You may well be right, but just saying like

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not questioning that -as I said, it just made it a bit suprising some of the attitudes towards Pompey on here, although they are in the minority.

I think the closeness and a bit of rivalry makes a difference too.

Obviously at our end, we hope the Russian doesn't just do a runner and leave us in the poo. You never know we might have some decent matches again like the early 70's (me dad said they were 'interesting')....

I don't think it's the 'rivalry' that's the central issue here. In fact, I'd say it comes a long way down the pecking order.

What happened on Fans United day was supporters of other clubs helping the supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion, not the club itself. I am sure that, assuming a legitimate, well-run, well-considered Portsmouth Supporters' group had been formed several years ago, with a message that their club was being internally destroyed, fans of other clubs - including Brighton - would happily have stepped in and lent support.

As it transpires, any such groups that there were either got shouted down and/or didn't manifest themselves in a big enough way. To that end, the prevailing noises coming from Portsmouth fans was one of victimhood from the FA, rather than victimhood from within.

FWIW, if an AFC Portsmouth Phoenix-type club, run by supporters by legitimate, fair and legal means was to be created (a la AFC Wimbledon), their efforts would receive my support as a general football fan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your opinion on this has to be suspect and taken with a pinch of salt as I KNOW that you hate Pompey more than any other sports team in the world :smile:

You may well be right, but just saying like
Yes, yes I do, and I won't shed any tears if they go bust to be honest. But in terms of making a difference, it ought to act as a wake up call to the powers-that-be when a club of Portsmouth's size goes to the wall. If this happens again in the next few years, I think the government will have grounds to forcibly remove the imcompetent goons running the national game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it's the 'rivalry' that's the central issue here. In fact, I'd say it comes a long way down the pecking order.

What happened on Fans United day was supporters of other clubs helping the supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion, not the club itself. I am sure that, assuming a legitimate, well-run, well-considered Portsmouth Supporters' group had been formed several years ago, with a message that their club was being internally destroyed, fans of other clubs - including Brighton - would happily have stepped in and lent support.

As it transpires, any such groups that there were either got shouted down and/or didn't manifest themselves in a big enough way. To that end, the prevailing noises coming from Portsmouth fans was one of victimhood from the FA, rather than victimhood from within.

FWIW, if a AFC Portsmouth Phoenix-type club, run by supporters by legitimate, fair and legal means was to be created (a la AFC Wimbledon), their efforts would receive my support as a general football fan.

I have thought it strange that although they are just down the road from us, and were in the same division last year, that I cannot think of a single Pompey fan that has come on this board and passed opinions on what is happening. I cannot imagine Albion fans not being all over the boards of Pompey, Bournemouth and Southampton if we were being run down and slagged off the way Pompey have been on here by Albion fans. Especially as their situation seems to be coming more hopeless by the day

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have thought it strange that although they are just down the road from us, and were in the same division last year, that I cannot think of a single Pompey fan that has come on this board and passed opinions on what is happening. I cannot imagine Albion fans not being all over the boards of Pompey, Bournemouth and Southampton if we were being run down and slagged off the way Pompey have been on here by Albion fans. Especially as their situation seems to be coming more hopeless by the day

The point is, while Portsmouth Football Club has quite rightly been slagged off, their fans - rightly or wrongly - have been seen to be complicit in their demise. As you say, no-one has been on here - or via any media - defending their case. All we have heard is their outrage at their perceived injustice coming from without.

It's not as though I'd specfically enjoy Portsmouth going to the wall; I just feel that, for all concerned it's the right and most appropriate thing to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, read my reply you idiot. You really are a prize-twat; whatever you post is always snide comments. Twat.

I have read your numerous posts. Maybe if your use of language was not so clumsy I might actually understand what it is you are trying to say.

PS And this particular childish response says a lot more about you than it does me.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
You may well be correct......although I hope it doesn't happen.

One of the reasons Chanrai wants the players off the books is because with them, the wage bill is still horrendously high....reported to be ?..£9.5 million pa.

Portsmouth FC are still due considerable amounts of parachute payments from the Premier League. Should the high earners remain, this money from the League will be swallowed up. However, if the high earners go.......this will leave the parachute payments to be siphoned off by Chanrai, to pay off his 'alledged' £16-18 million of debt to him.

Chanrai has no interest in Portsmouth FC.....the £16-18 million debt was as a result of some dodgy dealing between him and a previous crooked owner of Portsmouth FC.

I work with Portsmouth fans, so know more of the detail. Most of us just get a simplified version of these events...I don't know the full story about Luton for example.

cjd is right - there has been some allegedly seriously dodgy stuff going on at Nottarf Krap. It isn't simply another case of a club 'chasing the dream' and overspending. Some very disturbing parties have got involved.

{Cough} moneylaundering anyone? I mean come on... Pompey were in the richest club league in the world for 7 seasons and have you seen the state of their ground?!! The money just went in and out very quickly for some reason.

Agree about their apathetic fans though. It's just that kind of place: distinctive like Brighton, but in a totally different way. Our fans movement was an inspiration, led by superb role models. The education system in Portsmouth doesn't produce many such people I fear.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
In a nutshell. Agree 100%.

Gotta go with this , its the clubs owners and the people at the top who are to blame.
f*** me !! some people forget the position we were in 15 years ago because of the wankers who then ran our club !!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gotta go with this , its the clubs owners and the people at the top who are to blame.
f*** me !! some people forget the position we were in 15 years ago because of the wankers who then ran our club !!!

I'm not sure anyone is actually 'enjoying' it.

Where there is a seeming urgency to see them go to the wall, it's not because there's this salacious slavering for their demise based on some louche personal gratification, more it's because it's long been felt the right thing to do. They've had every chance to put this right and they've blown it; it's taken far too long to get to where we are now.

"Basta!" as the Italians might say.

Having said that, some sadists may be getting moist...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Big difference between a club paying all their debts and having 15 years of 'crap' (which we made some great times out of!) and a club cheating and not paying their debts, more than once and either winning FA cups etc. or 'staying in the 2nd tier for 'x' years'.

I would feel sorry for the fans, but say f*** the club. Start again without cheating in non league and make a great story over 10-15 years and enjoy the rollercoaster ride. Don't wallow in mediocrity and then cheat yet again :facepalm:

Also would support the fans and have some very good feeling towards a new AFC Portsmouth. Can honestly say not a grain (should it be drop) of my being has any sympathy for THE CLUB Pompy!!!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I assume no one else is watching SSN this morning..... They have just announced Harry Redknapp will talk to the players to try and help "save the club", by reducing their wages. You couldn't make this s**t up!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I assume no one else is watching SSN this morning..... They have just announced Harry Redknapp will talk to the players to try and help "save the club", by reducing their wages. You couldn't make this s**t up!!!!
I wonder if Trevor Birch has promised him a brown envelope stuffed with used notes if he succeeds?

larus

I have read your numerous posts. Maybe if your use of language was not so clumsy I might actually understand what it is you are trying to say.

PS And this particular childish response says a lot more about you than it does me.

My reaction was due to your pathetic response and trying to score points. After my original post, I had clarified my original remarks in response to someone else. However, if the response was too complicated for you to comprehend, then you have my sympathies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here