Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth and Fratton Park

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
It was a shit ground, but its what the pompey fans deserve! no need to bring it up to modern standards, it wont match the rest of the city or any of their fans

The ground, its facilities and the pompey fans all compliment the standard of football that Portsmouff play - shite!

Seagulljohn

Jul 21, 2011
To me the biggest problem with fratton park, besides the small seats, run down stands, fans, etc etc is the pitch.

Yes the grass looked nice(I'm a golf course manager by the way, so I know grass) but did anyone notice how curved the pitch was ? The middle was about two foot higher the the sides !

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
First season in a hundred years we've had a better ground than them ( even if a more inaccessible location), I reckon after making them endure Withdean a couple of times a bit of humility could be in order.

NSC Rule = Every other city and stadium is now a shithole.

Didn't see any trouble yesterday. In the past a brawl was inevitable at Fratton Park.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
To me the biggest problem with fratton park, besides the small seats, run down stands, fans, etc etc is the pitch.

Yes the grass looked nice(I'm a golf course manager by the way, so I know grass) but did anyone notice how curved the pitch was ? The middle was about two foot higher the the sides !

Don't know about two feet but that has been the norm on soccer stadia since time immemoria - something to do with water running off I believe, though not certain it applies in any state of the art pitch like the Amex which has, no doubt, perfect drainage.

Seagulljohn

Jul 21, 2011
Don't know about two feet but that has been the norm on soccer stadia since time immemoria - something to do with water running off I believe, though not certain it applies in any state of the art pitch like the Amex which has, no doubt, perfect drainage.

There's having a slope for drainage and there's having a fratton slope for skiing down !

Fair point, but will all the modern ways of drainage improvements in the last 15 years or so, there shouldn't be any need for that amount of slope.

But then you would have to spend money on it.

Even withdean wasn't that bad.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There is a slope on the Amex pitch as well, look at it from pitch level from either the West or East and you can clearly see it.

westsussexmackem

Aug 1, 2011
...West Sussex.
I hate it. Been there twice to watch Sunderland and don't want to go there again if I can help it, horrible run down facilities and just generally looks a shit ground.

That painted wall just behind the away end though :lolol:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I hate it. Been there twice to watch Sunderland and don't want to go there again if I can help it, horrible run down facilities and just generally looks a shit ground.

That painted wall just behind the away end though :lolol:

Like a warzone round the back of that stand

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I couldn't f***ing believe it!!!! There was NO ONE in the toilets, asking if we minded them mopping. What IS football coming to?
I do hear that the broccoli was cooked to perfection, in the corporate, though.
AZURE take note.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it and yes I still like the old ground feel but Christ they really have done so little to improve it. The terraces are crumbling, the toliets are about 100 years old. The only sign I found of any modernisation was the barcode reading turnstiles. Just highlighted to me how far we have come and how far backwards they are still going.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Christ that was a throw back to the 80s. What a shithole that grou d really is. The club is on a huge downward spiral which can only be halted with a new ground. Desperate facilities.

Are you going to say this about every old ground now that the Amex has been built ? Short memory I think.

G_PFC

Aug 14, 2011
Yes, our ground is sh it and so's our current team... but I'm 35 & I ain't seen any other football team south of London win a major honour in my lifetime than Pompey! :)

When Cotterill gets the sack we'll be back amongst the mix, maybe making a run for the play offs. Our squad is small, but full of Premier League experience and with a competent manager in charge we could, and should, be beating most of the nP Championship teams.

And Portsmouth a sh it hole? Some parts are, but go down to Gunwharf or Old Portsmouth. Some great pubs and views. Our seafront ain't that bad either. Wait to you visit NPC clubs in the midlands and the north!

Your fans made a lot of noise, on a par with Leeds last season. Fair play to you, you've been through a lot of sh it the last 20 years or so.

See you all back at Fratton for the Play Off semis, and be thankful you played us in August rather than a dismal February evening. Oh and bring alco-gel (no soap or hot water that I've ever found at FP) and pray you don't need to take a sh it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yeah - the toilets were grim to be polite. Basically the floor was slightly angled and all the piss slid down to one cormer - nearly as bad as Millmoor in the old days.

The other thing I noticed when watching the highlights last night is what a shit camera angle Pompey have - can't they raise their camera gantry a bit - there's no perspective at all. I had a better view of our goal from our end than even the camera portrayed.

G_PFC

Aug 14, 2011
There is an upper gantry - when we in the Premier League the main camera was there plus lots of others dotted round the ground. Now were sh it no-one gives a fu ck so they just put one camera just above the dugouts! Drove me mad last season too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here