Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade Community College to close down?

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I remember Hugger....she was one to be scared of but looking back was a very good teacher....she cared about pupils that wanted to learn but didnt have the patience for the f*** wits that just wanted to mess around.

Was a good school in my time (86-91) and I certainly did pretty well from my time there.

As for closing down Portslade.....if you want to do that you must also want to close down most of Brighton as it is no worse than alot of the other suburbs of Brighton.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Timmy - this is rubbish like your legal and general are skint comment.

PCC will more likely become a part funded academy and this particular story, like your fashion sense, is out of date and wrong.

To be fair, he's taken it from TODAYS Argus !

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
This seems to be general Government Policy.

In Lancing, Boundstone Community College is now the Sir Robert Woodard Academy, owned lock stock & barrel by the Trusts which own Lancing College and other numerous Public Schools.

The authorites hope that a change of name and a Public School style uniform will raise standards.

Time will tell.

(Steven Love rest in hell in your retirement )

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As far as i can remember, she was a science teacher, built like a brick shithouse, makes Dawn French look anorexic. I can still hear the cries of YOU BOY, echoing down the corridors *shudder*

No, the one I am thinking of was deffinitely a history teacher. She dominated one of the huts. I think her surname was Scott? Something like that. I might break out the text books and have a look, I'm curious now.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maureen Hawkins. COME HERE BOY !!!!!!!!, if someone walked over the grass. She was fearsome but was a bloody good teacher whose heart was in the right place. I think our Schools need a few more Maureen Hawkins's at the moment.

D

Deleted User X18H

Timmy - this is rubbish like your legal and general are skint comment.

PCC will more likely become a part funded academy and this particular story, like your fashion sense, is out of date and wrong.

Resolution and Aegon still waiting to pounce though.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The greatest teacher EVER though, mr Hetherton. Simply fantastic. His departure was the beggining of the end. He was diagnosed with something, though, so he had to retire. He's still fighting fit and well though, I see him quite a bit.

Next time you see him, say hi to him for me - he was a great, great teacher.

Not surprised the school is going down the pan TBH. It was horrendous when I was there. Miracle that I got all my GCSEs at A-C - one of the only ones in my year to - and most of it was taken on myself and my parents to get there.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
No, the one I am thinking of was deffinitely a history teacher. She dominated one of the huts. I think her surname was Scott? Something like that. I might break out the text books and have a look, I'm curious now.

Miss Scott was TERRIFYING. Didn't she have a breakdown?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I remember Hugger....she was one to be scared of but looking back was a very good teacher....she cared about pupils that wanted to learn but didnt have the patience for the f*** wits that just wanted to mess around.

Was a good school in my time (86-91) and I certainly did pretty well from my time there.

As for closing down Portslade.....if you want to do that you must also want to close down most of Brighton as it is no worse than alot of the other suburbs of Brighton.

Well said...!

PCC 1987-1992 and proud of it

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Next time you see him, say hi to him for me - he was a great, great teacher.

Not surprised the school is going down the pan TBH. It was horrendous when I was there. Miracle that I got all my GCSEs at A-C - one of the only ones in my year to - and most of it was taken on myself and my parents to get there.

I shall. I won't be seeing him today though, I almost guarantee he'll be in Germany with Fulham. :)

To be fair, I only missed out on a C in History by 5 marks, otherwise I too would have had all A-C. Some of the teaching standards were pretty poor in our year. Do you remember miss Jeacock and her piercing scream?! But for every Jeacock was a Nicholls, who rivals mr Hetherton as my greatest teacher of all time.

Miss Scott was TERRIFYING. Didn't she have a breakdown?

Wouldn't suprise me if she did, to be honest! But she was almighty. Far too few teachers like her about now.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Some great teacher names being thrown about here :laugh:

Got to add Mr Shaveron (my tutor / PE / and 'every other subject when the teacher was off' teacher) to the pot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Got to add Mr Shaveron (my tutor / PE / and 'every other subject when the teacher was off' teacher) to the pot.

:bowdown:
I'm not convinced you've spellt him right, but he was absolutely superb. A man for all subjects.

What was that madcap Art/Resistent Materials teacher called? Horsefield wasn't it? She was ridiculous. And miss Jung the German teacher. Bizarre. I wonder what Mr Henry is up to now, the very likeable Geordie! He was working for FHM once upon a time....

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Shev became a taxi driver. Horsefield was a laugh - I seemed to spend all of the hour a week drawing borders. Miss Jung was great - she's still at the school apparently. They've dropped Food Tech in place of hairdressing!!!

Mr May also a notable teacher.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Mr Schaverien (i think that's right!) was great.. Mr Schooley & Mrs Hill are still there. Another PE teacher we had was Mr Bishop..i thouight he was OK to be honest, though many people disliked him. He had trials with Arsenal, but was a Spurs fan.

I supposed i bucked the trend and quite liked most of the teachers, with my favs being Ms Methol, Mr Burnett, Mr Watts & Mr Steer.

Mike Sandford was head of Lower School for years and he sits in Block B at Withdean...and doesn't look a day older.

In fact there were only two teachers that I thought were utter t0ssers.. one male, one female. No names mentioned though!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My favourite teacher mid/late 70's was David Thomson the Geography teacher who I did Orienteering with. A GREAT bloke. I also liked Brian Hovell the history teacher with the handlebar moustache.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
What about Mr Whittle the German teacher, always had a laugh in his lessons. And who can forget the magnificent fun bags on Ms Armstrong.

Regularly get in Shavy's taxi. Has hardly changed. Was a good teacher.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I also fell in love at 14 with the PE teacher Alison Honey. Never was a name more appropriate. Fantastic legs and 22. What a BABE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here