Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade Community College to close down?

D

Deleted User X18H

Standards were so low at a Brighton secondary school that the council considered closing it, The Argus can reveal.

The option to close Portslade Community College was one of four considered by Brighton and Hove City Council as part of a “structural solution” to its problems.

The revelation has been made in papers to the council’s cabinet committee, which recommend replacing the school in Chalky Road, Portslade, with a £21 million academy.

At a meeting tomorrow(22/04) cabinet members will be asked to initiate a consultation process with parents, the local community and other stakeholders about plans to submit an Expression of Interest to the Government in June to develop an academy.

The report states that while improvements have been made under the school’s new headteacher Stuart McLaughlin, who joined in September, they have been too slow.

It said: “Standards at Portslade Community College have been a concern for a number of years and although the appointment of a new headteacher has resulted in some positive improvements, there is a need to consider a structural solution for this school.”

Portslade Community College became a National Challenge School after less than 30% of its pupils achieved five A* to C grades at GCSE, including English and Maths.

Closure of the school was discounted as an option, as a reduction in the city’s nine secondary schools would severely limit the council’s capacity to deliver secondary education.

Council bosses also considered hard federation, which would have involved the creation of a federation with a school that has been judged by Ofsted to be “outstanding” and accepting National Challenge Trust status, which would offer minimal financial resources and support.

However it was decided that the “academy route would best satisfy the external demands on the local authority and provide the best outcome from the options available.”

Perhaps close down most of Portslade at the same time.....:lol:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Oo thats good news for me if they do, I start my PGCE course in September and was dreading the possibility of being placed there!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Typical council attitude - ohhh we think the problem is too difficult to fix and so first we'll think of shutting it and then maybe we'll give it to a private organisation to run it !

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Yep, same here. I leave, and the Council consider shutting it down. What a suprise. Good old Mr Tait wouldn't have stood for any of this nonsense! :thumbsup:

Obviously well after my time, back in the day HUGGER Hawkins was the one to avoid. Boy was she a hard cow, she took no prisoners. I'd never been so shit scared of a teacher in all my life, but she got the respect she deserved.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its been changed into a City College Academy thing. This is old news

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Obviously well after my time, back in the day HUGGER Hawkins was the one to avoid. Boy was she a hard cow, she took no prisoners. I'd never been so shit scared of a teacher in all my life, but she got the respect she deserved.

Would she be the History teacher? I remember a proper hard as nails history teacher we all were pretty petrified of. She was absolutely fantastic though, to be fair to her.

The greatest teacher EVER though, mr Hetherton. Simply fantastic. His departure was the beggining of the end. He was diagnosed with something, though, so he had to retire. He's still fighting fit and well though, I see him quite a bit.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Would she be the History teacher? I remember a proper hard as nails history teacher we all were pretty petrified of. She was absolutely fantastic though, to be fair to her.

The greatest teacher EVER though, mr Hetherton. Simply fantastic. His departure was the beggining of the end. He was diagnosed with something, though, so he had to retire. He's still fighting fit and well though, I see him quite a bit.

As far as i can remember, she was a science teacher, built like a brick shithouse, makes Dawn French look anorexic. I can still hear the cries of YOU BOY, echoing down the corridors *shudder*

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Typical council attitude - ohhh we think the problem is too difficult to fix and so first we'll think of shutting it and then maybe we'll give it to a private organisation to run it !

I shouldn't laugh but that's exactly what councils do.

What's not funny is that council officers are getting paid more and more money to make these non-decisions.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Standards were so low at a Brighton secondary school that the council considered closing it, The Argus can reveal.

The option to close Portslade Community College was one of four considered by Brighton and Hove City Council as part of a “structural solution” to its problems.

The revelation has been made in papers to the council’s cabinet committee, which recommend replacing the school in Chalky Road, Portslade, with a £21 million academy.

At a meeting tomorrow(22/04) cabinet members will be asked to initiate a consultation process with parents, the local community and other stakeholders about plans to submit an Expression of Interest to the Government in June to develop an academy.

The report states that while improvements have been made under the school’s new headteacher Stuart McLaughlin, who joined in September, they have been too slow.

It said: “Standards at Portslade Community College have been a concern for a number of years and although the appointment of a new headteacher has resulted in some positive improvements, there is a need to consider a structural solution for this school.”

Portslade Community College became a National Challenge School after less than 30% of its pupils achieved five A* to C grades at GCSE, including English and Maths.

Closure of the school was discounted as an option, as a reduction in the city’s nine secondary schools would severely limit the council’s capacity to deliver secondary education.

Council bosses also considered hard federation, which would have involved the creation of a federation with a school that has been judged by Ofsted to be “outstanding” and accepting National Challenge Trust status, which would offer minimal financial resources and support.

However it was decided that the “academy route would best satisfy the external demands on the local authority and provide the best outcome from the options available.”

Perhaps close down most of Portslade at the same time.....:lol:

Close down the School but f*** you on the closing down Portslade. My home town mate!

The head teacher is Stuart McLaughlin who was the head at Falmer when Rod Aldridge came in as the sponsor. They didn't want him as the Principle so he went to PCC...guess who the sponsor of the Academy that is now PCC is? I'm guessing that Stuart will be looking for a new job, despite all his excellent work he did at Falmer and he is doing now at PCC. As someone who teaches at Falmer, I can only say "What a cluster f*** it all is", we were all promised jobs in the new academy yet this is not the case by any stretch of the imagination. Simply a lazy council.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
As the standard of education in this country is diminishing across the board, surely the answer is to close ALL of the schools.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The head teacher is Stuart McLaughlin who was the head at Falmer when Rod Aldridge came in as the sponsor. They didn't want him as the Principle so he went to PCC...guess who the sponsor of the Academy that is now PCC is? I'm guessing that Stuart will be looking for a new job, despite all his excellent work he did at Falmer and he is doing now at PCC. As someone who teaches at Falmer, I can only say "What a cluster f*** it all is", we were all promised jobs in the new academy yet this is not the case by any stretch of the imagination. Simply a lazy council.

I would agree. And as someone who is unfortunate enough to see what the BPO company Rod Aldridge setup does all I can say is god help the children !

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Oo thats good news for me if they do, I start my PGCE course in September and was dreading the possibility of being placed there!

Only Tideway,Boundstone,Patcham,Falmer (new name ?),Kings Manor (new name ?) and Hove Park to worry about - oh and Varndean is not too hot.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was f***ing ace when my Dad was the headmaster .

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Timmy - this is rubbish like your legal and general are skint comment.

PCC will more likely become a part funded academy and this particular story, like your fashion sense, is out of date and wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here