Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade attack

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The victim is actually my younger Brother and my family have lived in Brighton and Hove for over 70 years and we have never had anything like this happen to us so we are all shocked by whats happened.

I used to live next Victoria Park and always thought it was an ok area. I think the people involved were locals but obviously an exception to the majority of people that live in that area.

He still remains critical but we all hope he makes a full recovery and is around for a lot longer.

Thank you for your wishes

Apologies, I missed this post - may I wish your brother all the best and a speedy recovery.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Blimey, during the 80's I used to wander around Victoria Park without a care in the world.

Likewise. I lived in Foredown Drive until I was 18, so Victoria Park (and Easthill Park) was a big part of my growing up. I never remember being in the least bit threatened there.

Sign of the sorry times we live in these days.

Really hope the guy pulls through ... and that they catch the animals that did this.

I agree. Got no idea what the situation is. He could have raped one of their mates, or family for all we know. Sure smacking him about isn't the best way to go about things. But don't see any reason why those 16/17 year olds should have got involved.

I'd be VERY suprised if it was a random attack. I'd say there's something behind it.

The guy is CRITICAL and cannot speak for himself, whilst you are suggesting on a public forum that he may well have brought it on himself. As for "Got no idea what the situation is", I suggest you keep quiet until you have.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The guy is CRITICAL and cannot speak for himself, whilst you are suggesting on a public forum that he may well have brought it on himself. As for "Got no idea what the situation is", I suggest you keep quiet until you have.

I was simply replying to why 16-17 year olds (kids) shouldn't get involved. Although I mentioned 'he', it was aimed at all similar incidents.

Wasn't at all my intention of causing trouble, or abuse, simply a response to an earlier comment that could have led to further trouble.

My apologies if it rubbed you up the wrong way.

I ofcourse wish the guy a full and speedy recovery. South London Seagull; I hope things work out okay, and they're caught soon.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I was simply replying to why 16-17 year olds (kids) shouldn't get involved. Although I mentioned 'he', it was aimed at all similar incidents.

Wasn't at all my intention of causing trouble, or abuse, simply a response to an earlier comment that could have led to further trouble.

My apologies if it rubbed you up the wrong way.

I ofcourse wish the guy a full and speedy recovery. South London Seagull; I hope things work out okay, and they're caught soon.

Ignore him Sam, the guy's a twat and seems to only post stuff when he wants to slag people off...

I'm in Mile Oak and this shocked both myself and my other half, who's a carer as she attends a few night calls round that area. I certainly think that there has been an increase in South Portslade over the last few months of some trouble which is a shame, because generally Portslade is a good area to live in.

South London Seagull, I hope they catch the B*stards who did this and I hope your brother has a speedy recovery.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Lived in Portslade all my life (I'm 23), and often play football down Victoria Park on weekends. You'll see I posted a thread on here about playing last Sunday. Never really see much trouble, but like most places, you get the few idiots.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I saw Ashley, the attack victim, yesterday. He's made a remarkable progress in the near 4 weeks since the attack but is still a long, long way from recovery. he is conscious and can speak, albeit it slowly.

He has lost the hearing in one ear and is still unable to focus properly. He has some memory loss but not sure how much that will recover. He does retain a sence of humour. I was telling him what a big Albion fan he was but he saw through that, he's never been interested!

Physically, I was shocked by his injuries. The front part of his skull had to be removed and a plate will eventually replace it, but this will be after a fairly long period. We all see heads as round, his was anything but. You could see the flatness on one side and the lumps on others plus the stitches which go from ear to ear right over his head.

Sometimes things happen that lead to fights. it may be drink, football whatever. Sometimes it flairs up almost over nothing The results of violence can be long term, physical & mental. If you're the type who likes the odd scrap then just stop & consider what the consequences can be and how the effect so many when you include the familly members of the victims and, indeed, the offenders.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I saw Ashley, the attack victim, yesterday. He's made a remarkable progress in the near 4 weeks since the attack but is still a long, long way from recovery. he is conscious and can speak, albeit it slowly.

He has lost the hearing in one ear and is still unable to focus properly. He has some memory loss but not sure how much that will recover. He does retain a sence of humour. I was telling him what a big Albion fan he was but he saw through that, he's never been interested!

Physically, I was shocked by his injuries. The front part of his skull had to be removed and a plate will eventually replace it, but this will be after a fairly long period. We all see heads as round, his was anything but. You could see the flatness on one side and the lumps on others plus the stitches which go from ear to ear right over his head.

Sometimes things happen that lead to fights. it may be drink, football whatever. Sometimes it flairs up almost over nothing The results of violence can be long term, physical & mental. If you're the type who likes the odd scrap then just stop & consider what the consequences can be and how the effect so many when you include the familly members of the victims and, indeed, the offenders.

Fuckin' hell!!! :ohmy:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Exactly. You can only imagine what he must have looked like just over 3 weeks ago when there would have been bruising and swelling.

Maybe a few pictures of victims of violence displayed in pubs or magazines might just get the message through.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
This whole country is a load of shite, its needs sorting out and fast :rant:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly. You can only imagine what he must have looked like just over 3 weeks ago when there would have been bruising and swelling.

Maybe a few pictures of victims of violence displayed in pubs or magazines might just get the message through.

Sadly, when alcohol takes over, even something as horrific as that won't cause many of these individuals to so much as blink. Then they get in court and you have to sit there in court listening to their defence solicitor tell everyone how the offenders are really victims too :angry:.

I had a case a year or so ago where some local toerag (a fifteen year old GIRL) randomly selected a young woman passing her by in town one night and gave this poor woman an absolute beating. Simply for the hell of it, to show off to her mates, and because she was on her own, therefore an easy target. The victim ended up with a fractured cheekbone, horrendous cuts and bruises, and shattered confidence.

A passing tourist saw what was going on and gave chase, catching up with the said toerag (who needless to say wasn't brave enough to hang around), along with another mystery guy who gave her a slap for her troubles (shame, I never found him :lolol:). Shortly afterwards, I got flagged down, and this good Samaritan walked around Brighton with us until he spotted her again and pointed her out so we could nick her.

When it got to court, I had to listen to her solicitor telling them that "in a sense, your worships, my client is also a victim in all this, having been assaulted herself". He also sold them the line that she had now settled down considerably, given that she was pregnant, and was hoping to get a council flat, therefore shouldn't be treated too harshly by the court.

"ALSO A VICTIM"? WTF?? Perhaps if you don't go round kicking the crap out of people for the hell of it, you won't get yourself in that position :angry: And since when has being pregnant at fifteen been a sign of stability or decency?? It drives me nuts when utter thugs can get away with presenting themselves as victims in court, and get treated lightly accordingly.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's small wonder some just don't care because they never have to take responsibility.

Oct 21, 2007
Portslade
Mates son was beaten up a couple of weeks ago by a group of same age teens.He was just walking home about 11.30pm and was set on for no reason in Mile Oak Road by the Old Village. I live near there and this is not good. Makes me anxious for my family. Hope they get the tossers but it seems that every couple of years or so a group of fuckwits get it inot their heads that they are the business ...... Southwick Soldiers springs to mind. Needless to say they will grow out of it but at what cost??? Silly littleTwats

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It seems to be happening more and more. My brother moved to Purley a few years ago and his kids have had a few near misses before his daughters boyfriend got the shit kicked out of him in a park around the corner, they just targetted someone for the hell of it.

As a parent of 3 young boys myself, you do wonder how much of these problems are related to delinquent kids, or delinquent parents!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
"ALSO A VICTIM"? WTF?? Perhaps if you don't go round kicking the crap out of people for the hell of it, you won't get yourself in that position :angry: And since when has being pregnant at fifteen been a sign of stability or decency?? It drives me nuts when utter thugs can get away with presenting themselves as victims in court, and get treated lightly accordingly.

That is a sad fact of life. In my mind, anyone perpetrating a crime like that should lose all rights to counter-claim. Our society is too soft, and far too PC. I'm all for freedom of speech, but things have gone too far.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Mates son was beaten up a couple of weeks ago by a group of same age teens.He was just walking home about 11.30pm and was set on for no reason in Mile Oak Road by the Old Village. I live near there and this is not good. Makes me anxious for my family. Hope they get the tossers but it seems that every couple of years or so a group of fuckwits get it inot their heads that they are the business ...... Southwick Soldiers springs to mind. Needless to say they will grow out of it but at what cost??? Silly littleTwats

I've heard of those muggy pricks. There is loads of groups of twats like them around, but I strongly believe in what goes around, comes around. They'll get a good kick in at some point.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
This scum should be locked up until the day they die and I mean to the day they die. Where do these shits get off these days, beating someone up like this. Your correct this country is going down the pan. I hope these little bastards get what's coming to them and goto hell.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My Mrs, Auntie of Ashley, saw him yesterday and he is very much as described in the article.

TBH, he's hardly been an angel in his life but he's been bad more than evil and, like a lot of youngsters, will get away with anything he can. A bit of a character.

Now there are just glimpses of that character and he is a 'lost soul'. At not yet 30 he has half a skull, a short attention span & phisical/mental disabilities which will be with him for life and all because of a drunken argument.

Please, if you're the type who gets a bit lairy after a few beers then try and remember Ashley and others who can suffer for years from what might just seem a 'normal' fight. Think also of the friends & families involved, including those of the attackers as their lives are also changed from a moments madness.

It seems the attacker, in this case, has quite a history and should go down for some time. For him it's not a 1st offence but, for anyone, getting involved in a pointless brawl could permanently ruin your life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here