Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Population of West Sussex higher than Montenegro...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

If you think being in the finals is all that matters my friend I think you are sadly mistaken. It just continues to paper over cracks. If we're lucky we'll make the knock-outs and get beaten in the quarters at best. It'll be the usual hype next summer, flags flying out of every house and car for a few days whilst we limp embarrassingly into the knock-outs. Getting into the finals isn't all that matters, getting there with a semblance of hope does. I know I sound like the prophet of doom but having watched it all since 1970, the first time I can remember watching international competitions, it never changes. Maybe bull shit was a bit harsh, but you know what I mean, nothing personal.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
If you think being in the finals is all that matters my friend I think you are sadly mistaken. It just continues to paper over cracks. If we're lucky we'll make the knock-outs and get beaten in the quarters at best. It'll be the usual hype next summer, flags flying out of every house and car for a few days whilst we limp embarrassingly into the knock-outs. Getting into the finals isn't all that matters, getting there with a semblance of hope does. I know I sound like the prophet of doom but having watched it all since 1970, the first time I can remember watching international competitions, it never changes. Maybe bull shit was a bit harsh, but you know what I mean, nothing personal.

I know we have no chance in the finals and will go out in the quarter finals maybe semis at best,but I would rather be there unlike 2008

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Were through ffs!, all we needed was a draw and we nearly cocked that up, downside is Rooney being a dick but we have got other over rated fat cat second class players to take his place..

Changed for accuracy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yeah we're through, but lets face it apart from Euro 96 we have NEVER knocked a decent team out of the Euro or WC since 66'.

I used to care about every England game. South Africa the penny finally dropped the players care more for other things. Me too..

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yeah we're through, but lets face it apart from Euro 96 we have NEVER knocked a decent team out of the Euro or WC since 66'.

I used to care about every England game. South Africa the penny finally dropped the players care more for other things. Me too..

"This" I'm afraid. South Africa was a watershed moment for me too. Until then I had always had some irrational belief that we might, just might, do something. Now I expect a drubbing because that is what the form book dictates in the Euros.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I go along with jimhigham, and no longer expect us to do no more than qualify from our group, our Premiership is top class but contains few Englishmen so those selected for the national side are handicapped when playing other national sides,comments regarding we have qualified have to be be qualified against "Who"

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
No international match is easy, forget population, country size. It's always going to be a tough match.

Scotland could only scrape a 1-0 win over Liechtenstein which is a very small county, and Ireland could only put 2 past Andorra last night as well, and Andorra is just a tiny little bit of land in the alps..

Montengro are decent, they were in the 2006 world cup I swear? We qualified and we didn't lose any of our 8 games so whats there to moan about?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really, Montenagro took part in the 1998 and 2006 World Cup's.
I'm not normally prone to pedantry
I am
but Montenegro didn't achieve independance until 3 June 2006, which was a bit late to qualify for either of those tournaments.
This
I think you will find that the territory, and nation of Montenagro competed in 1998 and 2006. That is Pedantry of the highest order.
What? They didn't play as Montenegro, and Montenegro doesn't have the same pool of players. What are you talking about?

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I was thinking last night, a Sussex team would thrash Montenegro - they're suspect in defence

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I am
This
What? They didn't play as Montenegro, and Montenegro doesn't have the same pool of players. What are you talking about?

The original statement said that's it pathetic we didn't beat Montenegro, so I pointed out that although it is a very small Country, the territory has a good history when it was just a Nation, rather than a state. Montenegro are actually an OK side, and would beat many teams in European football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The original statement said that's it pathetic we didn't beat Montenegro, so I pointed out that although it is a very small Country, the territory has a good history when it was just a Nation, rather than a state. Montenegro are actually an OK side, and would beat many teams in European football.
I expect you know a lot more about this than me: has that territory (ie, not elsewhere in Yugoslavia) produced a lot of good players before? Because if Sussex became independant it would be amazing for them to get a result against a top 8 country, and the fact that Sussex used to be part of a nation of decent footballers would be somewhat irrelevant.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I expect you know a lot more about this than me: has that territory (ie, not elsewhere in Yugoslavia) produced a lot of good players before? Because if Sussex became independant it would be amazing for them to get a result against a top 8 country, and the fact that Sussex used to be part of a nation of decent footballers would be somewhat irrelevant.

I never said a top 8 Country. I said it would beat top European teams. In 1998 they had 6 players from Montenegro in the squad. Far more than Sussex had for the England sqaud at the same time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I never said a top 8 Country.
I'm saying that Montenegro just got 2 draws against a top 8 country, and if Sussex did that it would be amazing.
In 1998 they had 6 players from Montenegro in the squad. Far more than Sussex had for the England sqaud at the same time.
Yes that is more, but 6 out of 23 is hardly enough to suggest that Montenegro took part in the 1998 and 2006 world cups. It's a very small country, and it's understandable people are impressed with their performances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here