Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poppy Shirt Auctions

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I thought it was going to be run something along the lines of stick a bid in, then when the auction is over who ever has the highest bid gets the phone call saying they have first pick and who do they want? Then the second highest bidder gets a call and told they can have anyone but the shirt taken by the highest bidder.

Why else would the club want contact numbers when they already have our email addresses from the bid?

Think its one for ask the club

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why not use ebay like they did last time, as a charity auction the fees are dropped (not sure if fully or not). Its not even an auction as you dont know what the highest current bid is.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Well thats one that wont be finding its way into my collection. I WAS willing to go to £100 for a shirt which I was told should be enough to win one. My problem now is which one should it be enough to win? I could go for El-Abd thinking no body else would bid on that one but if others think the same then I could fail to win that, or I could go for Murray thinking nobody will bid as they think everyone will.

Or the only way as has been pointed out is to stick a bid on every shirt but chances are you would win more than one and not being able to afford it.

I will just sit back and wait until one appears on eBay and pass the profit onto a private individual rather than a worthy charity.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suppose if everybody sent an email "My maximum bid is £xxx and I want this to be put on any shirt which has a highest bid of below that amount"

That way if there is one shirt left at say £90 and your max was £100 then you would win that shirt.

Bloody stupid way to run a charity auction, whoever thought it was a good idea should explain.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
did anyone go for a shirt, i forgot

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Superphil is strangely quiet on this subject and the Wardy shirt! Wonder what he is up to?

The way this 'auction' is being handled is almost as poor as the Gus T-shirt scenario!

HCQ

p.s. me want one too! But as has been said how do you bid!

I was gutted, I got my bid in too late for the Wardy shirt, I didn't realise they were stopping taking bids on the afternoon/early evening before. Let's just say, if I had got my bid in time then the shirt would have sold for more, wheter my bid would have been enough, we'll never know.

As for the Poppy shirts, it is a duff way of doing it. I have made a "bid". I sent them my top price and a list of the shirts in priority order that I would like if my bid "wins".

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
But you cant do it like that Phil, you are basically saying I will pay £xx and please put my bid against which ever shirt would be won by that bid, you are not naming a shirt.

When it was first announced they would be sold I PMed Paul and said I would pay up to £100 for a shirt to which he replied they are not for sale yet but £100 should be enough to secure one. The problem I faced was which one should I bid on to make sure my bid was enough.

In the end I stuck a £33.33 bid on every shirt and hoped one of them would win. I could not afford to stick a potential winning bid on a couple of shirts incase more than one of them won. I doubt I will win any of them so will just wait for the inevitable and one pops up on eBay and some individual will make the money on it rather than the charity.

I have also made my thoughts known to Will Jago and just hope when the next special edition shirts come up they will remember the amount of people unhappy with this way of doing things and use eBay or a better way of doing the auction

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I put in a bid for one but haven't heard anything yet :(
Does seem quite a strange way to run it really when you could easily just do a normal auction on eBay :shrug:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But you cant do it like that Phil, you are basically saying I will pay £xx and please put my bid against which ever shirt would be won by that bid, you are not naming a shirt.

I basically put the same bid on all the shirts, with a proviso that I only wanted to win one, much like you have done.

I also have said to mr Jago that the way they are doing it is not ideal, that ebay would be a better route.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Hmm, and they allowed that proviso? Cant see how they would allow you to bid on an item and then allow it to be retracted at the last second (which it would be if you already won one). When I put my bid in on all of them I said I ran the risk of winning the lot but doubted that I would as people will bid more than that for Murrays shirt but allowed for me winning 2 or 3 hence the lowness of my bid.

In my mind eBay would have given more exposure to potential buyers and also raised more cash but obviously the club have their reasons (which I would be interested to hear) for doing it this way

I was gutted, I got my bid in too late for the Wardy shirt, I didn't realise they were stopping taking bids on the afternoon/early evening before. Let's just say, if I had got my bid in time then the shirt would have sold for more, wheter my bid would have been enough, we'll never know.

I went down prior to the auction with a figure well in excess of the final price but having established a few facts it was very clear that the Historical Society were desperate for it to be avialable ((museum) either themselves or a loaded backer) and the only outcome really would be pushing the price through the roof needlessly and still not getting it!

As for the 'auction' of the Poppy Shirts it grinds me that its decribed as an auction but isnt. At an auction you have a starting price followed by incremental bidding until conclusion. Say you have put a sealed bid in for Livermores shirt for £50 and the only other bid was for £10 you are still expected to pay the sealed bid value. Not an auction.

HCQ

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I went down prior to the auction with a figure well in excess of the final price but having established a few facts it was very clear that the Historical Society were desperate for it to be avialable ((museum) either themselves or a loaded backer) and the only outcome really would be pushing the price through the roof needlessly and still not getting it!

I had agreed that if I won it then it would get loaned to the museum by me, on a rota basis, I don't know who won it but they too have agreed to do the same.

On the back of that, I still have a wad of fivers that need to buy me a Bukta shirt, anyone got a spare they want to sell?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I've got a wad of twentys that need to buy me a Bukta shirt, anyone got a spare they want to sell?:laugh:

HCQ

But my wad of fivers is 5 times bigger than your wad of twentys!

This is starting to sound like a schooltime maths riddle

"John has twice as many apples as Harry. Harry and John together have 18 apples, how many apples does John have?"

But my wad of fivers is 5 times bigger than your wad of twentys!

Blimey! I wouldnt be able to see my monitor with that many fivers!

DSC00063.jpg

HCQ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here