Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They average around 24,000 and often struggle for gates of 21-22,000 in the Premiership.

Given their circumstances in this day and age - a ground holding 30,000, won the title in the past two decades and been out of the top flight for just one season in that time - I'd be surprised if our gates dipped as low as theirs.

Within four years of the Albion reaching the top division in 1979 home crowds fell below 10,000.

We played at Roker Park in April 1981, having just had back to back victories against relegation rivals, and nothing less than a victory needed to get out of the bottom three in our last away game of the season................and we took 72.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
our crowds were so low that year that on the Boxing Day game all the players came out with a ball and each kicked one into the crowd as a gesture of appreciation for the long suffering support ..... I got 3

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In all seriousness we need to get a sense of perspective. We may be getting c20K but our core fan base isn't much more than 6/7000 .. hopefully the new guys will stick but if we were to drop back down into League 1 who knows what will happen to our attendance numbers, I well remember rattling around in the Goldstone when things weren't going so well. Think a sense of perspective is needed (a new stadium doesn't change the history and our relative size) and some humility too maybe (we haven't overnight become even an established Championship club ... if indeed there is such a thing given it's transient nature)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
In all seriousness we need to get a sense of perspective. We may be getting c20K but our core fan base isn't much more than 6/7000 .. hopefully the new guys will stick but if we were to drop back down into League 1 who knows what will happen to our attendance numbers, I well remember rattling around in the Goldstone when things weren't going so well. Think a sense of perspective is needed (a new stadium doesn't change the history and our relative size) and some humility too maybe (we haven't overnight become even an established Championship club ... if indeed there is such a thing given it's transient nature)
Not sure how you work that out,we was roughly the 38th best supported club in the country til we became potless and homeless.You must be basing this on the last twenty years or so mmmm.

Yes we had dire crowds at times in the 80's but most clubs did being that it was a bad recession then.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Within four years of the Albion reaching the top division in 1979 home crowds fell below 10,000.

We played at Roker Park in April 1981, having just had back to back victories against relegation rivals, and nothing less than a victory needed to get out of the bottom three in our last away game of the season................and we took 72.

All relative - you're talking about the days when Chelsea got 20k at home for some games, Arsenal sub 19k crowds at Highbury. 2011 and the Premiership is not the late 70s/early 80s First Division and any direct comparision demands scrutiny.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

The 80's were shite for every club,your negative point is floored.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure how you work that out,we was roughly the 38th best supported club in the country til we became potless and homeless.You must be basing this on the last twenty years or so mmmm.

Yes we had dire crowds at times in the 80's but most clubs did being that it was a bad recession then.

I can't disagree and maybe I didn't make the point well but I think basing our "status" on a new stadium and crowds over a handful of games is wrong. Yes that period (80's) was dire for lots of clubs so maybe an unfair comparison but it will be interesting to see if the club can retain the newly gained/recovered support once the novelty wears off or (God forbid) we were to be relegated. Personally I think we will, but I also think it's way too early to be getting carried away with status and making too many comparisons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here