Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey's 'Great fans'

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's what we hear. They could have taken up to 9,000 tickets for the game at Old Trafford, but opted for only 3,800 as the chief exec feared they wouldn't sell them - and then couldn't get rid of all of those. So there was about a third of the fans in Manchester that could technically have been there.

Would we, as a League One club with poor home crowds, have done any better? In fairness ( I don't know why I'm being fair) it was a 12.45 kick-off. But I think we'd have sold at least 5,000 for that game. and probably more.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Pompey could have taken more than that up as well, I bet a lot of their fans were quite annoyed with the chief exec. It was probably still there biggest game in a long time as well tbh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pompey fans are still better than Newcastles
(not that thats hard, despite what "the messiah" will have you believe)

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
they have taken 9 thou up their b4,one thing u cant do is slag of their fans

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
they have taken 9 thou up their b4,one thing u cant do is slag of their fans

Oh I can :thumbsup:

pompey_300.jpg

:tosser:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of course we'd have done better than that because it would have been our biggest game in years. Portsmouth have played at Old Trafford already this season, and last season, and the season before....

That's obviously a very valid argument. I just think even given what you've said, 3,000 is a bit poor. Coventry took 11,000 there this season for a poxy Carling Cup tie against the Man Utd kids.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

HAHAHAHA

He was on SSN yesterday, showing off his Pompey tattoos, Pompey wallpaper, carpet, plates, cups, saucers, mugs, curtains, pictures, mirrors etc etc etc. His cats are called 'Play Up' and 'Pompey'. His budgies are named after the ground.

He even showed off his Southampton FC toilet roll

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most smaller clubs take huge followings to Old Trafford as it's a chance for all the part timers to come out of the woodwork and dust down their old scarves.

I'd guess half the clubs in League Two could rustle up nine thousand day trippers to wave giant foam hands around should they be fortunate enough to draw United away.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
HAHAHAHA

He was on SSN yesterday, showing off his Pompey tattoos, Pompey wallpaper, carpet, plates, cups, saucers, mugs, curtains, pictures, mirrors etc etc etc. His cats are called 'Play Up' and 'Pompey'. His budgies are named after the ground.

It was quite amusing. The one thing missing from the report was: "And surprisingly, he's single."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
HAHAHAHA

I'm an avid Albion fan, but there comes a point where you draw a line and say "actually no, thats just sad". My wife might argue that I reached this point a few years ago when I put several "important" ticket stubs into a picture frame and hung it in my hallway (Doncaster home 97, Hereford away 97, Plymouth away 2001, Peterboro away 2002, Swindon away 2004, Playoff Final 2004).

Thankfully however, there is always some complete **** like John Westwood to point at, laugh at, and put all our own sad obsessiveness into a reassuring perspective.
CURTAINS. Jesus.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Must be pretty irritating being a normal Pompey fan though (insofar as there is such a thing).

Whenever the TV companies want a gratuitous crowd shot, which blue-wigged, badly tattooed chimpanzee do they unfailingly zoom in on, like he's somehow the epitome of everything passionate about fans, oh look it's John Westwood. The man is a thug, who's had plenty of stories to tell about his activities with the more moronic element of Pompey fans.

I would be utterly embarrassed if someone like him was taken to epitomise Albion fans.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They haven't invented a word yet that adequately describes this man.

Unless anyone can think of one?

HAHAHAHA

So what team does he support?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here