Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey Under 18s covering themselves in glory

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Neither side is without blame, but it's a cycle which needs to be addressed by everyone. And I think it largely is being addressed. I like that these incidents are made public, it's all about education. I'm sure there are boys in the group who didn't agree with what was being said but went along with the joke. I don't believe them to be inherently racist because in the context of their group it was "a laugh" or the running joke. And there does need to be some expectation that private groups stay private, but there also needs to be a move away from that kind of culture in my opinion. These boys shouldn't be tarred and feathered, but they absolutely should understand the weight of their words and really consider whether they're proud to have their name to some of the comments or whether they think better of it now.

I'm not shy in admitting I had some terrible attitudes in my younger years. I shudder to think of some of the jokes I've told and conversations I've been involved with and I'm genuinely glad that that attitude was challenged by the general public consciousness and when I stopped to think - I realised how wrong I had been and how stupid I was being. I remember Graham Taylor telling off some racists at an England game and it really resonated with me. You need someone to challenge your opinions and beliefs to really think about unconscious behaviours.

This.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No disrespect to you, but thats exactly the same sweeping type of generalisation a bigot or racist would make about another race.

I give up.
Bang on the button. Conscious bias with a sweeping generalisation.

For the record I am a football fan and I have a degree not thick at all.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Neither side is without blame, but it's a cycle which needs to be addressed by everyone. And I think it largely is being addressed. I like that these incidents are made public, it's all about education. I'm sure there are boys in the group who didn't agree with what was being said but went along with the joke. I don't believe them to be inherently racist because in the context of their group it was "a laugh" or the running joke. And there does need to be some expectation that private groups stay private, but there also needs to be a move away from that kind of culture in my opinion. These boys shouldn't be tarred and feathered, but they absolutely should understand the weight of their words and really consider whether they're proud to have their name to some of the comments or whether they think better of it now.

I'm not shy in admitting I had some terrible attitudes in my younger years. I shudder to think of some of the jokes I've told and conversations I've been involved with and I'm genuinely glad that that attitude was challenged by the general public consciousness and when I stopped to think - I realised how wrong I had been and how stupid I was being. I remember Graham Taylor telling off some racists at an England game and it really resonated with me. You need someone to challenge your opinions and beliefs to really think about unconscious behaviours.

I am a bit bothered by your opening phrasing "Neither side is without blame", what sides are you talking about?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I left a previous job over in Worthing because the warehouse manager was a racist prick. I won't repeat what he said, but he would racially abuse Arsenal players (his team), make comments about a black woman who worked next door and snide remarks about anything to do with the black community if something appeared online or on the radio. Two of my colleagues used to laugh along whereas I wouldn't. I reported it to the GM who claimed to investigate it, but nothing was ever done about it. The scumbag is still a manager there.
I e also been on the receiving end of plenty of racial abuse from black people, mainly men, when I was dating a Caribbean girl a few years back. Honky, white boy, milky, constantly jeered at as they approached my girlfriend asking why she's dating a honky instead of a black man. Being accused of stealing their women and so on.
It certainly goes both ways, and I see it from both sides on social media, equally as bad as one another. I just think social media is making it easy for them as there is very little in the way of punishment for these morons, and the media companies don't seem to stop it either.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
My father in law is xenophobic towards certain countries & religions and my step dad is racist, xenophobic and any other phobic you can think of.
There is a very subtle change going on society with, I'd say the majority of the younger generation. I don't have any stats to back this up but I can't see my sons being a minority in what they say.
Whenever my father in law or stepdad said something xenophobic or racist I used to say 'You CAN'T say that' and then tell them why I think that they are disgusting for their views. My son's say to them 'DON'T say that' & then give them the same reasons why they are disgusted by their views.
When i used to say 'can't', it probably gave the impression that they can't say it because it was not politically correct and gave them a reason to brush me off, as I was part of a 'PC brigade'. They used to basically laugh at me and carry on.
My son's say to them 'don't' and it seems far more effective. They actually stop. I don't think their views have changed much, they're still xenophobic and racist but that change of wording now stops them. I've found that when I use 'don't', they take me seriously now too.
The majority of the youngsters call this stuff out now, my youngest stropped off on Sunday after the match & then came back downstairs in disbelief to show me the hate & bile that was on social media. Racism and xenophobia is not the 'norm' in todays kids. I'm pretty sure my kids are not in a minority that are disgusted by it, they are in a majority that are disgusted by it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If you said one of the 92 league clubs’s youth academy filled largely with local youth had been racist, and I got 3 guesses as to which, I don’t think I’d need all three to land on Pompey. Maybe unfair I don’t know but after visiting the city a couple of times. Yeh, (and I lived near Millwall for 3 years).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do wonder if players taking the knee is causing more harm than good now.

Racism in the UK has been steadily increasing for many years now. The knee is a reaction to this, it’s not the cause. If you want my view, Brexit and the toxicity of the campaign and result is a major cause. It emboldened certain people and legitimized certain beliefs and language.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why has racism got so bad in this country recently?

It hasn't , it's always been there, it's just that social media now gives people an outlet for their racist views. Couple this with the "bantz" culture, where you can say anything you like, then just claim it was a joke or a bit of banter and you have a perfect mix for these idiotic outbursts.

I'm sure the same usual defence will come out, "they were young" or "they were just having a bit of banter" or my favourite "didn't you ever do something bad when you were young? " All in an attempt to deflect from things that have no place in a civilised society...

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Racism in the UK has been steadily increasing for many years now. The knee is a reaction to this, it’s not the cause. If you want my view, Brexit and the toxicity of the campaign and result is a major cause. It emboldened certain people and legitimized certain beliefs and language.

I'd argue that racism in the UK has been steadily decreasing for many years now. The difference in the last very few years is the ability for noisy people to make themselves heard widely via social media.

As Cotton Socks says above, younger people are on average less racist than older people; society is changing for the better. There is still however a significant correlation between education, socio-economic position and racism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd argue that racism in the UK has been steadily decreasing for many years now. The difference in the last very few years is the ability for noisy people to make themselves heard widely via social media.

As Cotton Socks says above, younger people are on average less racist than older people; society is changing for the better.

I disagree. Outside of modern social media incidents seem to be steadily rising, attitudes are changing and language is much more toxic. I’m seeing a change but in the opposite direction to which you claim.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9931863 said:
Are you sure it's him that's implicated? The Pompey under 18 squad also contains another Dan...

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/matches/academy-table--stats/

Whichever Dan it is, what a shocking waste. Assuming Pompey do the right thing and ditch him, what club is going to touch him now? They all have black players these days; why would they risk hiring this toxic young man and risk splitting the club, fans, dressing room and trashing their reputation? But this shouldn't be about the wasted talent. This should be about the victims of the abuse. It was so, so extreme, like something out of the KKK. It has no place in football or any part of our society.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Whichever Dan it is, what a shocking waste. Assuming Pompey do the right thing and ditch him, what club is going to touch him now? They all have black players these days; why would they risk hiring this toxic young man and risk splitting the club, fans, dressing room and trashing their reputation? But this shouldn't be about the wasted talent. This should be about the victims of the abuse. It was so, so extreme, like something out of the KKK. It has no place in football or any part of our society.

solely comes down to if he's good enough.

I doubt they would release him if he was all that.

Been convicted rapists in recent years signed for clubs as they thought would benefit the playing side.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whichever Dan it is, what a shocking waste. Assuming Pompey do the right thing and ditch him, what club is going to touch him now? They all have black players these days; why would they risk hiring this toxic young man and risk splitting the club, fans, dressing room and trashing their reputation?

Burnley?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I heard Boris has announced he’s going to level large areas of the north. I can’t stand the man, but it’s very difficult to argue against this policy.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My father in law is xenophobic towards certain countries & religions and my step dad is racist, xenophobic and any other phobic you can think of.
There is a very subtle change going on society with, I'd say the majority of the younger generation. I don't have any stats to back this up but I can't see my sons being a minority in what they say.
Whenever my father in law or stepdad said something xenophobic or racist I used to say 'You CAN'T say that' and then tell them why I think that they are disgusting for their views. My son's say to them 'DON'T say that' & then give them the same reasons why they are disgusted by their views.
When i used to say 'can't', it probably gave the impression that they can't say it because it was not politically correct and gave them a reason to brush me off, as I was part of a 'PC brigade'. They used to basically laugh at me and carry on.
My son's say to them 'don't' and it seems far more effective. They actually stop. I don't think their views have changed much, they're still xenophobic and racist but that change of wording now stops them. I've found that when I use 'don't', they take me seriously now too.
The majority of the youngsters call this stuff out now, my youngest stropped off on Sunday after the match & then came back downstairs in disbelief to show me the hate & bile that was on social media. Racism and xenophobia is not the 'norm' in todays kids. I'm pretty sure my kids are not in a minority that are disgusted by it, they are in a majority that are disgusted by it.

Dwight McNeil?

Hes not black.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here