Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Amongst all the crap of who to blame how come Peter Storrie never gets mentioned?
I can't believe this guy would still be employed by an honest company

Heh-hem

Christ up a stick, the sheer scale of mismanagement at that club almost defies belief. Maybe I've missed it, but has ANYONE actually brought Storrie to task over this, and asked him just what the hell he thought he was doing ? OK this has built up over a number of years with various owners, but Storrie has been there every step of the way as CEO, and therefore must bear a huge chunk of responsibilty for where that club finds itself now. Surely there should be some kind of corporate prosecution charge for him to answer ?

:thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can pompeys 9 point deduction roll over to the championship if they go down regardless of the deduction this season

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can pompeys 9 point deduction roll over to the championship if they go down regardless of the deduction this season

Presumably, which is the question I asked earlier.

It does raise the point though that if another Championship club goes into administration they will deducted one more.

So there you go, special treatment for Premiership teams again not forgetting the parachute payments.

What's wrong with the football authorities ? Every few years they introduce rules to try and make things fairer which have the opposite effect.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel I must apologise to all parents on NSC that let their kids read the board. I didn't realise this thread would continue so long with such a nasty profanity in the title.
Good point well made. For the sake of the kids, could you refer to these twunts as "the blue Hampshoire bumpkin shite" in future. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So there you go, special treatment for Premiership teams again not forgetting the parachute payments.

What's wrong with the football authorities ? Every few years they introduce rules to try and make things fairer which have the opposite effect.

to be fair, its due to two seperate authorities. there is no FA rule on the subject, maybe something that will come out of it. after all, the FL changed the rules as unforeseen circumstances arose, i suppose no one has ever thought of the scenario you suggest.

also i cant help but think forward payment of the parachute payment is the only way this will be resolved. but at what point does the EPL decide they can make that happen? and do they then pay the money direct to football creditors like they did with the TV money last month?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How about this little snippet re Gaydamak and Peter Storrie from Sportinglife.com:

Meanwhile, Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie has confirmed he has already been in talks with an administrator - and that he is prepared to take a substantial pay cut.

Storrie is one of the highest-paid chief executives in the Premier League, with an annual salary believed to be at least £1.2million.

He told Portsmouth News: "I have already spoken to the administrator and he wants to keep things settled, which means me staying on. I will work with him and I believe he wants me to help him sell the club to the right person.

"There will be cuts at all levels. That's something for the administrator to do to make sure the club keeps going. I will be taking a big cut as well.

"I've seen salary figures of £1.4million bandied around for me but my basic salary is less than half of what has been reported.

"The rest of it has been a bonus given by (former owner) Sacha Gaydamak every year. That's in recognition of me keeping the club going for him by selling players.

"But I am prepared to cut my basic (pay) quite substantially."

So...Gaydamak has been paying Storrie a bonus of c. £500K p.a. to stay on and flog the best players. If so how much as Gaydamak trousered in loan repayments while the debts with HMRC have been racking up.

And what else, exactly, has Storrie been doing in his capacity as Chief Executive? I'm just surprised not more clubs other than Spurs have been exploiting Pompey's woes, and while I don't think Levy would ever enable Harry to be in a position to f*** Spurs over financially you wonder what little deals have been going on between Harry, Storrie and Gaydamak.

Surely there's never been player movement between two clubs such as we've seen beteween Spurs and Pompey over recent seasons - if James or Begovic had joined Spurs in the window then you could have had a complete XI with Pamarot, Kaboul, Rocha, Michael Brown, Sean Davis, O'Hara, Boateng, Krancjar, Crouch and Defoe.

With all this talk of Pompey in the shit, we got onto the subject after discussing last's night game on the train home.
One chap I was talking to reckons the Albion went into administration in the early nineties, something that I can't remember.
Does anyone else remember this?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How about this little snippet re Gaydamak and Peter Storrie from Sportinglife.com:

Meanwhile, Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie has confirmed he has already been in talks with an administrator - and that he is prepared to take a substantial pay cut.

Storrie is one of the highest-paid chief executives in the Premier League, with an annual salary believed to be at least £1.2million.

He told Portsmouth News: "I have already spoken to the administrator and he wants to keep things settled, which means me staying on. I will work with him and I believe he wants me to help him sell the club to the right person.

"There will be cuts at all levels. That's something for the administrator to do to make sure the club keeps going. I will be taking a big cut as well.

"I've seen salary figures of £1.4million bandied around for me but my basic salary is less than half of what has been reported.

"The rest of it has been a bonus given by (former owner) Sacha Gaydamak every year. That's in recognition of me keeping the club going for him by selling players.

"But I am prepared to cut my basic (pay) quite substantially."

So...Gaydamak has been paying Storrie a bonus of c. £500K p.a. to stay on and flog the best players. If so how much as Gaydamak trousered in loan repayments while the debts with HMRC have been racking up.

And what else, exactly, has Storrie been doing in his capacity as Chief Executive? I'm just surprised not more clubs other than Spurs have been exploiting Pompey's woes, and while I don't think Levy would ever enable Harry to be in a position to f*** Spurs over financially you wonder what little deals have been going on between Harry, Storrie and Gaydamak.

Surely there's never been player movement between two clubs such as we've seen beteween Spurs and Pompey over recent seasons - if James or Begovic had joined Spurs in the window then you could have had a complete XI with Pamarot, Kaboul, Rocha, Michael Brown, Sean Davis, O'Hara, Boateng, Krancjar, Crouch and Defoe.

To be fair Rocha was a free and went Via a Belgium club.

Sheringham however...

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
sorry, haven't read all through thread but surely if Wolves were fined for fielding a weakend side, how are Portsmouth going to be able to get away with selling all the best players during the season and essentially having to field a youth team ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it is interesting. It seems to suggest that administration will prompt forward payments of TV money and permit sales outside the window (presumbably a specific rule allows this under administration). with relegation a certainty, can they invoke clauses to offload players? as i cant see teams coming in for anyone. Its also unclear if the winding up still goes to court on Monday anyway.

"I've seen salary figures of £1.4million bandied around for me but my basic salary is less than half of what has been reported."

And what else, exactly, has Storrie been doing in his capacity as Chief Executive?

i think you take his story to much at face value. as for what else he's staying on for, i thought the running theory was he, Gaydamak and Redknapp where financially involved in a property deal that comes good when the ground moves. 'arry jumped when the stadium looked like a non-runner and the other two have held out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
to be fair, its due to two seperate authorities. there is no FA rule on the subject, maybe something that will come out of it. after all, the FL changed the rules as unforeseen circumstances arose, i suppose no one has ever thought of the scenario you suggest.

also i cant help but think forward payment of the parachute payment is the only way this will be resolved. but at what point does the EPL decide they can make that happen? and do they then pay the money direct to football creditors like they did with the TV money last month?

Not sure how they couldn't have foreseen the circumstances of a team going to administration and being relegated, they have procedures in place for both.

The parachute payments would have taken agreement from both authorities and teams and routinely relagated and promoted from both. No excuse at all.

Time and time again rules such as the parachute payments and the frankly ridiculous "football debts first" nonsense are making football look ridiculous.

I'm beginning to think that football is unable to manage it's own affairs and clubs need to audited on a routine basis by a completely independent body.

Perhaps that's what we need, "OffSide" - the independent regulatory body of football.

If a club goes over a certain debt threshold, they shouldn't allowed to sign any more players or have directors on ridiculous salaries.

These are not businesses like any other, they play within a league system.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Every club that Harry Rednapp has ever been manager of has later had serious financial issues, Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton... It's no wonder Portsmouth are in so much trouble...he was there twice!
How long till he has the same anti-midas touch on Tottenham?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

"The rest of it has been a bonus given by (former owner) Sacha Gaydamak every year. That's in recognition of me keeping the club going for him by selling players..

So Peter Storrie has been merrily picking up an annual bonus of in excess of £600k a year, in addition to his substantial salary, for overseeing what has (up until now) turned into the biggest financial catastrophe for a football club still in our top division.

And yet I still have yet to hear a SINGLE WORD of contrition from this man, or any acceptance of his part of the blame for this cataclysmic failure on his part.
Breathtaking. Quite breathtaking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With all this talk of Pompey in the shit, we got onto the subject after discussing last's night game on the train home.
One chap I was talking to reckons the Albion went into administration in the early nineties, something that I can't remember.
Does anyone else remember this?

Nope. The Albion has NEVER been in administration.
Probably the closest we came was when HMR&C issued a winding up order for a £400k unpaid tax bill. This was staved off and paid following the sale of Mark Beeney to Leeds.

Thats probably what he was thinking of.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So Storrie gets a bonus every time a player is sold?

No wonder they have a revolving door...

Andy Griffin Derby Free 01-08-2007
Collins Mbesuma Bursaspor Signed 04-08-2007
Jason Pearce Bournemouth Free 09-08-2007
Lomano LuaLua Olympiakos Signed 12-08-2007
Andy O'Brien Bolton Signed 13-08-2007
Andy Cole Sunderland Free 24-08-2007
Gary O'Neil Middlesbro £ 5000000 31-08-2007
Dejan Stefanovic Fulham £ 1000000 31-08-2007
Matthew Taylor Bolton £ 3500000 17-01-2008
Benjani Man City £ 3870000 31-01-2008
Sulley Ali Muntari Inter £ 12700000 28-07-2008
Pedro Mendes Rangers £ 3000000 15-08-2008
Jerome Thomas Portsmouth Signed 21-08-2008
Lassana Diarra Real Madrid £ 20000000 01-01-2009
Jean-Francois Christophe Southend Free 01-01-2009
Jermain Defoe Tottenham £ 15000000 06-01-2009
Richard Duffy Millwall Free 02-02-2009
Glen Johnson Liverpool £ 18000000 01-07-2009
Djimi Traore Monaco Signed 01-07-2009
Sean Davis Bolton Free 01-07-2009
Andre Blackman Bristol C Free 01-07-2009
Peter Crouch Tottenham £ 9000000 27-07-2009
Glen Little Sheff Utd Free 05-08-2009
Martin Cranie Coventry Signed 14-08-2009
Sol Campbell Notts Co Free 26-08-2009
Sylvain Distin Everton Signed 28-08-2009
Niko Kranjcar Tottenham Signed 01-09-2009
Mike Williamson Newcastle Signed 26-01-2010
Younes Kaboul Tottenham £ 5000000 31-01-2010
Asmir Begovic Stoke £ 3250000 01-02-2010

Nope. The Albion has NEVER been in administration.
Probably the closest we came was when HMR&C issued a winding up order for a £400k unpaid tax bill. This was staved off and paid following the sale of Mark Beeney to Leeds.

Thats probably what he was thinking of.

No he mentioned the sale of Dean Saunders, I mentioned the Beeney sale as that was the only time I could remember us being linked with administration.
Thanks for the info.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did mention last week that I thought that Portsmouth should go into administration now rather than wait until next year and the collective wisdom of NSC was that the club was in too much debt for administration to be an option.

You should never underestimate the capacity of football clubs to get themselves out of a hole when they seem doomed ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why is the Premier League the so called best league in the world?

Ah. Here we go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/premier-league-clubs-europe-debt

"Concerns over English football's financial wellbeing are set to deepen further with the impending release of a report from Uefa which shows that Premier League clubs owe more money than all the other clubs in Europe's top divisions put together."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why is the Premier League the so called best league in the world?

Ah. Here we go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/premier-league-clubs-europe-debt

"Concerns over English football's financial wellbeing are set to deepen further with the impending release of a report from Uefa which shows that Premier League clubs owe more money than all the other clubs in Europe's top divisions put together."

Don't Real Madrid and AC Milan's debt 'disappear' quite regularly though?

Edit: Though don't get me wrong, our clubs have ridiculous debts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here