Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The only people responsible for Pompey`s mess are Pompey themselves.
Keeping up with the Jones has cost them dear, and if there was any justice they would like Hearns says take a double relegation. They won the FA cup by cheating, by not paying HMRC and others.
You have to cut your cloth accordingly and if that means being a mid table championship then so be it. They`re Portsmouth FC for feck sake not Man Utd.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only people responsible for Pompey`s mess are Pompey themselves.
Keeping up with the Jones has cost them dear, and if there was any justice they would like Hearns says take a double relegation. They won the FA cup by cheating, by not paying HMRC and others.
You have to cut your cloth accordingly and if that means being a mid table championship then so be it. They`re Portsmouth FC for feck sake not Man Utd.

One key point in all of this was the day after Pompey won the FA Cup. They had a squad worth £100million, the proceeds of the cup run, European football and Prem football for another season. That's the point they should have cut their cloth - when their stock was at its highest.

Anyone who follows US baseball closely will know many of the smaller market teams manage to compete because they trade their stars / big-earners to the rich clubs in return for draft picks, essentially good youngsters coming through. This is how teams like Oakland, Florida, Colorado, Arizona and Minnesota have managed to compete fairly successfully in recent years.

Unfortunately, they've given average players the big bucks and failed to sign the kids coming through. The Pompey board are most to blame, not Sky, not the Premier League, the players or their agents. As a poster above said, it's a fallacy that Redknapp has any blame because the Spurs situation with Daniel Levy shows how it should be done.

D

Deleted member 2719

A million quid for winning the FA Cup that guy really takes the piss and doesn't give a shit whether the club can afford it, why anyone trusts him is beyond me there are some gullable chairmen out there or some just living in space land.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Pompey board are most to blame, not Sky, not the Premier League, the players or their agents. As a poster above said, it's a fallacy that Redknapp has any blame because the Spurs situation with Daniel Levy shows how it should be done.

You say this but surely the club are advised by the manager when it comes to the valuation of a player (i.e. his transfer fee and his salary)?

Also, Redknapp has a history of managing team with overpaid players.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You say this but surely the club are advised by the manager when it comes to the valuation of a player

surely a club has more than one source of advise and know when to say "no, the budget is spent".

seriously, did Redknapp kill a child or somthing, i can never fathom the dislike and hatred. few dodgy deals? so what, not my business. teams play good football, gets players going, brings on youth, gets results. great manager for me.
:shrug:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I've a feeling Harry should take some of the blame - is it not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd say to the board 'sign player x or I walk'? And bearing in mind what's happened to them previously when he's walked, my bet is they'd be scared shitless. Not saying this has happened and even if it did the board should have been big enough to stand up and say 'no, we just can't afford it', but it's not impossible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
surely a club has more than one source of advise and know when to say "no, the budget is spent".

seriously, did Redknapp kill a child or somthing, i can never fathom the dislike and hatred. few dodgy deals? so what, not my business. teams play good football, gets players going, brings on youth, gets results. great manager for me.

He did not kill a child, but he has left a trail of bankrupt clubs and seriously over paid staff behind him. In fact every club he has managed (Bournemouth, Southampton, Pompey, West Ham) has had financial difficulties. Admittedly West Ham's problems were mainly down to an Icelandic bank going bust BUT when David Sullivan took over he also made a comment about there being a culture of excess pay at the club.

He seems to have a reverse midas touch. Every club he touches turns to shit. It makes you wonder.

D

Deleted member 2719

Brings on the Youth??? not what Pompey think.

I think most players would like to play for redknapp let's face it he makes sure that they will be off the wage scale and the muppet chairmen take in his bullshit.
Anyone who cannot see the mans full of shit must be vacant.

Just my opinion like.
:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
surely a club has more than one source of advise

I dont know. If the manager goes to the board and suggests they buy player x on y contract do they seek advice from elsewhere?

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Allegedly on other sites and supposidly the basis of police and tax investigation.
Redknapp had a contract,standard for him apparently-you want him-you put it in his contract, that gave,on signing a player,a sum equivelent to a percentage of the fee paid for signing the new player.
He also got the same deal for shipping players out.
There must be the potential for a conflict of interest because such a deal is an incentive to sign any old crap(most of the pompey team)for an inflated fee and also to get rid a.s.a.p. for as much/or little possible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brings on the Youth??? not what Pompey think.
Anyone who cannot see the mans full of shit must be vacant.

why are are insults necessary? whats the problem?

for youth im thinking more WestHam days obviously, though i recall a few young players blooded in big games at Pompey too. as for the rest of the track record, he left Bournmouth 20 years ago, when did they have their financial trouble?, west ham was 9 years ago and Southampton spent too much on a new stadium as they got relegated. it seems people want to find a connection to fill a hatred. but im just vacant and dont understand. honestly i dont get it and no-one seems to knwo the root of this irrational dislike. there are plenty worse managers.

but then look at the rumour there from raymondbriggs - what sort of Chairman would agree to that? if anyone can get away with such a blatant conflict of interest, i almost admire them and it certainly the fualt or the mug chairman.

which comes back to the issue, when Pompey go under, will the FA or EPL implement some sort of governance regulations? some say they cant, but many industries have regulators and rules so i dont see why football is untouchable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It just a doomed game of pass the parcel now. From skint Arab to random Far East bloke to, possibly, South African consortium. Nobody wants to be left holding the parcel when the taxman calls time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks like they are finally going to do the only thing they can to stay in business and go for administration before the winding-up order is heard.

Result?

Everyone who they owe money to will lose out but the club will start next season in the championship owing next to nothing and with new owners they will be able to buy promotion (or try to at least a la southampton and leeds).

It's a self perpetuating fiasco and while I never thought I would agree with Barry Hearne on anything important, he is right - it is cheating :US:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
why are are insults necessary? whats the problem?

for youth im thinking more WestHam days obviously, though i recall a few young players blooded in big games at Pompey too. as for the rest of the track record, he left Bournmouth 20 years ago, when did they have their financial trouble?, west ham was 9 years ago and Southampton spent too much on a new stadium as they got relegated. it seems people want to find a connection to fill a hatred. but im just vacant and dont understand. honestly i dont get it and no-one seems to knwo the root of this irrational dislike. there are plenty worse managers.

When Rednapp was at West Ham, he signed an awful lot of Crap players, for an lot of money, and paid them stupid wages.

Ask any West Ham fan, their money problems started way before the Icelandic guys took over - they started with Rednapp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here