Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey fined for failing to control their players

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
£5,000 for the cards and sending off on Saturday. I recall they did a little bit better than the 6 or more cautioned, as per the rule book.

Not the £25,000 I was discussing with Mr Haddock at the game, since that is the similar Premiership punishment.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is that because Pompey have money problems and they took some pity? Something is not right at that pathetic fine.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that because Pompey have money problems and they took some pity? Something is not right at that pathetic fine.

Nope - that's what League clubs have to pay or at least what I read this evening.

On another note, the press are reporting that Portsmouth are considering appealing against the sending off, not entirely unexpected because of their squad limitations.

However, I had a pretty good view of that on Saturday and am struggling to understand why there are claiming it was a "push in the chest".

I was too far away to see whether Kitson made contact, but he swung his arm with such force - I'd imagine "contact" isn't really an issue.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
However, I had a pretty good view of that on Saturday and am struggling to understand why there are claiming it was a "push in the chest".

Maybe they are wanting the push on the Albion defender for the Portsmouth goal to be taken into consideration.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If you'd drawn a line from the incident, through the ref and to my seat, it'd be damn near perfectly straight, so I had a pretty good view of it. He may well have 'pushed El-Abd in the chest' during the initial wrestling, but he took a swing at him as he was pushing him away, which the ref saw clearly. It they do appeal they could have the ban increased for it being 'frivolous' to use the FA's own term.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you'd drawn a line from the incident, through the ref and to my seat, it'd be damn near perfectly straight, so I had a pretty good view of it. He may well have 'pushed El-Abd in the chest' during the initial wrestling, but he took a swing at him as he was pushing him away, which the ref saw clearly. It they do appeal they could have the ban increased for it being 'frivolous' to use the FA's own term.

Hope your right couldn't happen to a nicer club i really would like to see everything bad happen to Pompey this season as they still have escaped lightly if they stay in the Championship.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
From my viewpoint in C Block, there is no doubt in my mind that the right HAND of Kitson made contact with the FACE of El-Abd...with some force.
Red card every day of the week.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Im going to give Portsmouth the benefit of the doubt, because im nice like that....

Go ahead and appeal, even if kitson pushed el abd in the chest he would have still have had to raise his hands to his opponent to do so therefore....

ITS STILL A SENDING OFF, YOU SKATE TWATS!!!

Man up F.A. throw the fuckin book at them, you should have done it before now.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Doesn't need to be seen by the camera, only the ref. His word is final. If they appeal on the grounds "it was only a push in the chest" then they have lost already. Raised hands and violent intent are implicit which is a red card offence and this time they can't send the player back to his parent club to pay him while he serves the appeal (on which subject, I so hope Wolves refuse to send Halford back down there). If they do appeal I can't see how Kitson won't get a one game extension on his ban. As for a £5000 fine, well the FA have to actually get the money off Pompey first!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
From my viewpoint in C Block, there is no doubt in my mind that the right HAND of Kitson made contact with the FACE of El-Abd...with some force.
Red card every day of the week.

Spot on, Kitson shoved El-Abd in the face. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in C Block who didn't see that, and the linesman would have had a perfect view too, being just in front of us.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm amazed at how lenient the fine actually is. I though Pompey were the worst disciplined side to come here for years. Kitson had an earlier chip at El Abd which - had it connected and been seen - would have seen him off before 10 minutes were gone. Then after Kitson had gone Kanu seemed to be trying his best to start a fight with El Abd, who just ignored it (and even wound him up a bit more by smiling at him all the time). I'm not quite sure what El Abd had done to deserve such attention. The 'one card a minute' scene in the 5 minutes before half time was stupidly funny as they had blatantly lost it. At that point they were lucky not to lose Nugent (dissent after being booked for the tackle on Painter) and Lawrence (lots of dissent after being booked for it?). Yet again Pompey get off lightly IMHO.

Quickfire Double

Registered Scummer
Jan 12, 2011
East Sussex
Hello Seagulls. Saints fan here, but Albion are a bit of a second team since I moved down this way. Well done on dispatching the cheating web-footed fish-fiddlers at the weekend! All the best for the rest of the season: I'm hoping for a Saints / Albion top two this season, and a trip to Falmer next year...

Quickfire Double

Registered Scummer
Jan 12, 2011
East Sussex
you'll get a lot of support for that on here.......welcome :)

Thanks! I trust you folks are all looking forward to moving into Falmer next year? I pass by on the A27 fairly frequently, your new ground is really starting to look the part...

Seems like great times for Brighton: team doing well, decent manager, new ground etc. Hope it helps you get established in the NPC, and maybe to have a crack at the Prem. Where I hope you'll find us waiting - which always seems a lot more likely when we get a result like last night!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here