Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll - The Passion of the Christ

Are you planning to see The Passion of the Christ ?.

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Relax everyone, it has got subtitles! I followed it ok and I'm not usually a fan of 'foreign' films. It didn't detract from the experience, if anything, it added to the richness of it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rabeen

Maybe it has taken $ 295 000 000 in 3 and a half weeks as its good, thought of that ?.

Also it took £ 200 000 in the UK from about 2 cinema's !, it does not get a general released until tomorrow !.

The film will take about £ 40 000 000 here I would guess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
MrV said:
bible bashers.

My preferred movie review website, www.allmovie.com, gave it three stars. Rotten tomatoes gave it 6.5. Very average. can't be arsed with average.
Don't you like to form your own opinions, rather than decide whether to see it or not based on the opinions of others ?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Faldo said:
Its a pedantic thing that gets me...

..."The" Christ?

Why not just Christ? If there is a good reason for that "The" then fair enough.... it just bothers me.

Otherwise - no, I probably won't see it.

That's very simple. "The Christ" is more acurate, although either works. "Christ" is the Greek translation of the Hebrew for Messiah. Just as most would say "the Messiah" most would have said "the Christ."

To add to your confusion, however, I would add that the original Greek of the New Testament usually referred to Jesus as "the Jesus." It's just the way they did things.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
MrV said:
if someone told you there was shit in the shed, would you go in the shed?
If I needed it for my roses, then yes. Yes I would.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Juan Albion said:
That's very simple. "The Christ" is more acurate, although either works. "Christ" is the Greek translation of the Hebrew for Messiah. Just as most would say "the Messiah" most would have said "the Christ."

To add to your confusion, however, I would add that the original Greek of the New Testament usually referred to Jesus as "the Jesus." It's just the way they did things.

I thought there would be a simple answer!

cheers

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Gareth,

I agree entirely, I expect it to be very good, just reminds me how the US are so entrenched in religion, and how we in this country have kind of let it slip, if that makes sense. You are right, it's not on general release until this week, I missed that bit (thought it was very low figure wise for UK).

Reading various reviews from the states have been good, Gibson is Catholic I believe, and took a huge rise with his own money. Like most movies, if you like the sound of it or find it intereting go, if not, don't.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
its Jesus bollocks . . . .and we all know the ficticious story so whats the point in wasting £6 and 4 hours of my life to line some film studios pockets

thats potentially a few pints of beer and a good chat with real people :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Zef - Good points, well made !

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Dandyman said:
Not correct. Jesus, a Palestinian Jew, is depicted as a fluent Latin speaker rather than speaking Hebrew. The soldiers of the Jerusalem garrison, who were probably Aramaic and Greek speakers from Syria, are shown conversing in a form of clumsy Latin with Italian Church pronunciation.

As with most Christian films it has far too much sex and violence for my tender sensibilities.

I heard that The Gospel Of St.Thomas from the Dead Sea Scrolls was written in Aramaic and is described as being the 'closest thing to the spoken word of the historical Jesus'. Is that right? It's interesting as it's wording is reckoned to directly challenge the authority of the Catholic Church, and any other Christian Church for that matter, in that it says something along the lines of "you will not find me in buildings of stone or wood but turn a stone and I am there, split a tree and I am there" from the big man himself. I think that sentiment is beautiful although I'm in the Agnostic Club myself. The Catholic Church still consider the Gospel of St.Thomas to be heresy. Anything to do with challenging their power and money-making activities you think? Before any enraged Catholics have a go, I'm not criticising the religion or it's followers but questioning the Churches motives. I'll go and see it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Always interesting to see a cinamatic interpretation of historic events, although if Mel Gibsons previous efforts at bringing history to the big screen are anything to go by (Braveheart and The Patriot), then I would't hold out too much hope for it sticking too strictly to the facts.

But then again, there are so many different interpretations of the story of Christ, perhaps its ideally suited to the "artistic licence" Mel likes to apply to his films.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Phaedrus said:
I heard that The Gospel Of St.Thomas from the Dead Sea Scrolls was written in Aramaic and is described as being the 'closest thing to the spoken word of the historical Jesus'. Is that right? It's interesting as it's wording is reckoned to directly challenge the authority of the Catholic Church, and any other Christian Church for that matter, in that it says something along the lines of "you will not find me in buildings of stone or wood but turn a stone and I am there, split a tree and I am there" from the big man himself. I think that sentiment is beautiful although I'm in the Agnostic Club myself. The Catholic Church still consider the Gospel of St.Thomas to be heresy. Anything to do with challenging their power and money-making activities you think? Before any enraged Catholics have a go, I'm not criticising the religion or it's followers but questioning the Churches motives. I'll go and see it.

Well that's very interesting. I've read the Gospel of Thomas - it certainly isn't ignored by most theologians. However, your comments are a little odd - how could Jesus be condemning the church that didn't exist yet? ? ? If he was commenting on the current religious practices that he saw around him, which it sounds like, that would hardly be a first...

Oh, and BTW, the Gospel of Thomas was NOT part of the Dead Sea Scrolls!

And there is no Aramaic manuscript of Thomas. The earliest fragments are in Greek, the first full copy is in Coptic (which is a kind of Egyptian written in the Greek alphabet).

Come to think of it, I'm not sure you actually had anything right.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am going to see it without a doubt. As someone mentioned above it will be intereting to see the response in our society of which secularisation has undoubtedly occured to a large degree.

With this is mind I don't think it will hold the popularity and success that it did in America but seeing as I went to a Roman Catholic school I am curious to see it.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Well I've seen it, and I'd recommend it.
Christians will tell you that Christ suffered for our sins, or something.
This film depicts & conveys the sense of suffering.
The big pay off is at the end, so don't leave early, you have to stick it out.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Simon

I've heard he comes back from the dead, but its just a rumour don't tell anyone.

Am I right ?.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Simon

I've heard he comes back from the dead, but its just a rumour don't tell anyone.

Am I right ?.

oh well that ruins the sequel :lolol:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Juan Albion said:
Well that's very interesting. I've read the Gospel of Thomas - it certainly isn't ignored by most theologians. However, your comments are a little odd - how could Jesus be condemning the church that didn't exist yet? ? ? If he was commenting on the current religious practices that he saw around him, which it sounds like, that would hardly be a first...

Oh, and BTW, the Gospel of Thomas was NOT part of the Dead Sea Scrolls!

And there is no Aramaic manuscript of Thomas. The earliest fragments are in Greek, the first full copy is in Coptic (which is a kind of Egyptian written in the Greek alphabet).

Come to think of it, I'm not sure you actually had anything right.

I think that last comment was a little uncalled for but thank you for correcting me on the other points. I was only going on what I had heard as I don't claim to be a theologian, so I bow to your greater knowledge. However, the point regarding the challenge to the Catholic Church is that it is seen by them as questioning their authority, hence it being considered heresy, not that Jesus himself was challenging them. I know enough to know that the Catholic Church wasn't around then.

"STRIKE HIM CENTURION, VERY ROUGHLY"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Catholic church came into being around the 7th Century (I think) and is thus out of JC's remit.

My attitude is this, if you want to see this film fine, why not ?t's no big deal either way in the same way as any other film. Frankly, whether you are a believer or not is academic, I'm sure this film has a lot more to say than the vast majority of the tripe that gets put out.

But I'll pass thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here