Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll - The Passion of the Christ

Are you planning to see The Passion of the Christ ?.

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Will you see this film ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
not my cuppa tea at all, not enough sex/violence/horror/guns/comedy for my liking!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Soton

The film is in the language that Jesus spoke 2000 years ago !. How on earth is that pompous ?. It is subtitled so presumably is you can read you will be able to follow the film.

Get a grip !.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
No it's the violence that puts me off and the apparently graphic scenes of the crucifixion.

GG - read my post again. I have no objection to subtitles (in fact some my favourite films are subtitled - City of God, Amos Peros & Intacto to name but a few), the fact is, this film has NO subtitles!

That, I feel, is pretentious twaddle at it's best.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the point is, Christians and infact everyone has got so used to the cross and seeing JC on the cross it is so sanitised that the forget the horrific nature of the beatings, crown of thorns, stoning and cruxification the man had to endure that day. They have forgotten. I think this film will make me think very hard about what happened. I'm not saying I will become a born again Christian but I expect to be affected by this film.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Soton

I am not sure that there are no subtitles, I will check but how on earth is having the film made in the original language of the time pretentious twaddle, I just can't see your point.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
imdb had 60% of its reviewers awarding the film 10 out of 10 , so I think its got some pretty good reviews !.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
nah , not my sort of film i don't think

Gareth Glover said:
Soton

I am not sure that there are no subtitles, I will check but how on earth is having the film made in the original language of the time pretentious twaddle, I just can't see your point.

Language of the time is fine, infact enhancing the expeience no doubt. However, if as in the review I read, there are no subtitles, then I just hope they are incredibly good at miming, as no one will know what the hell they are saying.

It strikes me that it has the potential to be an 'Emporer's new clothes', much in the way that many people who visit the Opera claim to understand it, despite not speaking the language. Whilst I accept you can get something from a piece of visual art, surely the lack of undrstandable dialogue has to detract from the enjoyment of your average punter.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Its a pedantic thing that gets me...

..."The" Christ?

Why not just Christ? If there is a good reason for that "The" then fair enough.... it just bothers me.

Otherwise - no, I probably won't see it.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Gareth Glover said:
Soton

The film is in the language that Jesus spoke 2000 years ago !. How on earth is that pompous ?. It is subtitled so presumably is you can read you will be able to follow the film.

Get a grip !.

Not correct. Jesus, a Palestinian Jew, is depicted as a fluent Latin speaker rather than speaking Hebrew. The soldiers of the Jerusalem garrison, who were probably Aramaic and Greek speakers from Syria, are shown conversing in a form of clumsy Latin with Italian Church pronunciation.

As with most Christian films it has far too much sex and violence for my tender sensibilities.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Originally there weren't going to be subtitles, but now there is. It's indicative of the American take on religion that movie took $300m in it's first two weeks over there, whereas it took just under £200,000 here.

Am interested more than anything, as I am not religious but have a basic understanding (I think) about biblical matters...supposed to be very horrific in places, but I guess that's the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here