Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Correctness Gone Mad

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I mean - if you can't arrange to have strippers at your bloomin' funeral ....................

China acts on funeral strippers

Chinese villages are being told to end the practice
Five people have been detained in China for running striptease send-offs at funerals, state media say.
The once-common events are held to boost the number of mourners, as large crowds are seen as a mark of honour.

But the arrests, in the eastern province of Jiangsu, could signal the end of the rural tradition.

Local officials have since ordered a halt to "obscene performances" and say funeral plans have to be submitted in advance, Xinhua news agency said.

The arrests, in Donghai county, followed striptease acts at a farmer's funeral, the agency said.

Two hundred people were said to have attended the event, which was held on 16 August.

The Beijing News said the event was later revealed by a Chinese TV station. The leaders of five striptease troupes were held, it said, including two involved in the farmer's funeral.

"Striptease used to be a common practice at funerals in Donghai's rural areas to allure viewers," Xinhua agency said.

"Local villagers believe that the more people who attend the funeral, the more the dead person is honoured."

As well as ordering an end to the practice, officials have also said residents can report "funeral misdeeds" on a hotline, earning a reward for information.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Speaking of political correctness, the place where my Dad works sent round an e-mail/memo a couple of days ago informing employees that they must no longer ask for a black or white coffee in the canteen, as this may (somehow) cause offence.

Henceforth, they muct ask for coffee with or without milk.

How the hell could anyone of any race be offended by somebody asking for a black coffee??

The world's gone mad...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
DKM - I thought that was more to do with 'censorship' than PC, but I may be wrong. Whatever happened to a decent send off without all these busybodies sticking their beaks in!!

Fruity - My mother used to work at Sussex Uni and she asked for a black coffee. The canteen lady looked shocked and asked her to say without milk due to regulations. Although she didn't say that to the black guy standing behind my mother whern he asked for a black coffee, which made him laugh.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Right, got it now.

AlexFrutos said:
Speaking of political correctness, the place where my Dad works sent round an e-mail/memo a couple of days ago informing employees that they must no longer ask for a black or white coffee in the canteen, as this may (somehow) cause offence.

Henceforth, they muct ask for coffee with or without milk.

How the hell could anyone of any race be offended by somebody asking for a black coffee??

The world's gone mad...

That would be caused by the mix up between serious racial issues and THE COLOUR OF SOME LIQUID IN A CUP.
Why don't they just ban the actual colours while they are at it. No black or white items in the office. No black or white walls.
Wanker.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yawn

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Dick Knights Mum said:
I mean - if you can't arrange to have strippers at your bloomin' funeral ....................

China acts on funeral strippers

Chinese villages are being told to end the practice
Five people have been detained in China for running striptease send-offs at funerals, state media say.
The once-common events are held to boost the number of mourners, as large crowds are seen as a mark of honour.

But the arrests, in the eastern province of Jiangsu, could signal the end of the rural tradition.

Local officials have since ordered a halt to "obscene performances" and say funeral plans have to be submitted in advance, Xinhua news agency said.

The arrests, in Donghai county, followed striptease acts at a farmer's funeral, the agency said.

Two hundred people were said to have attended the event, which was held on 16 August.

The Beijing News said the event was later revealed by a Chinese TV station. The leaders of five striptease troupes were held, it said, including two involved in the farmer's funeral.

"Striptease used to be a common practice at funerals in Donghai's rural areas to allure viewers," Xinhua agency said.

"Local villagers believe that the more people who attend the funeral, the more the dead person is honoured."

As well as ordering an end to the practice, officials have also said residents can report "funeral misdeeds" on a hotline, earning a reward for information.

No strippers at funerals? What is the world coming to? :angry:

Cant bring myself to reply on the black / white coffee subject as I'll get too angry.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Political Correctness Gone Mad

Commander said:
No strippers at funerals? What is the world coming to? :angry:

Cant bring myself to reply on the black / white coffee subject as I'll get too angry.

Well I suppose it could become quite embarrasing if the stripper began to perform simulated sex acts on certain members of the audience.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As someone once said, real political correctness - i.e. not the drivel served up to gullible mouth-breathing knee-jerking morons by Richard Littlejohn - is actually just about not being rude to someone. If someone has a problem with that, they're likely to be a bigot. And if anyone thinks there are black people likely to be offended by someone asking them for a black coffee, then they're very probably well-intentioned but wrong and naive.

Strangely, this argument isn't put forward by simpletons for simpletons in the tabloids too often - probably because it's a little bit more complex to deal with and less brainlessly emotive than cheap outrage. Depends what you're like, really.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
As someone once said, real political correctness - i.e. not the drivel served up to gullible mouth-breathing knee-jerking morons by Richard Littlejohn - is actually just about not being rude to someone. If someone has a problem with that, they're likely to be a bigot. And if anyone thinks there are black people likely to be offended by someone asking them for a black coffee, then they're very probably well-intentioned but wrong and naive.

Strangely, this argument isn't put forward by simpletons for simpletons in the tabloids too often - probably because it's a little bit more complex to deal with and less brainlessly emotive than cheap outrage. Depends what you're like, really.

I'm all for not being rude and not offending people, but half the time it seems like the people who decide what is and what isn't offensive are not the people who would be offended by it in the first place. So how would they know?

I refuse to believe that any black person would be offended by someone asking him for a black coffee. Any white person who thinks they would be is obviously a bit racist themselves or they wouldn't have thought of that in the first place.

And any black person who is offended by being asked for a black coffee needs to get a life. Not that I believe that there are any that would be.

Oops, I just did what I said I wasn't going to do, didn't I?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: Political Correctness Gone Mad

BarrelofFun said:
:lol: The stiff?

Thats not what I meant at all ;) :lolol:
I suppose it all depends if the funeral is open casket or not doesn't it?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:

I would agree with you sentiment, except how do you determine what is rude and what is not? To be honest, this is more of interesting debate to me.

We can see this problem exposed on this very site. For example, some of us have disabled relatives - consequently, there are NSCers who find the infamous "Royal Ali" sports day image very offensive, and some of us who don't. In this context, should that image never be posted again, should there be a warning, should we say screw the people who are sensitive to it, in the name of free speech?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trufflehound said:
I've just painted the walls of my living room white. Am I now a racist? :down:
Yes you are, you daft racist.
Partridge2.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Getting back to the original point - what a great send off:

....... "sorely missed ....... much loved ......... and - bring on the dancing girls ................".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
I would agree with you sentiment, except how do you determine what is rude and what is not? To be honest, this is more of interesting debate to me.

We can see this problem exposed on this very site. For example, some of us have disabled relatives - consequently, there are NSCers who find the infamous "Royal Ali" sports day image very offensive, and some of us who don't. In this context, should that image never be posted again, should there be a warning, should we say screw the people who are sensitive to it, in the name of free speech?
Depends how "free" you want to be - this so-called "harm principle" has been debated by moral philosophers a lot cleverer than me since at least the days of John Stuart Mill and will be again. You and I and everyone else operate in a society. You do basically have the choice to ignore the norms of that society, i.e. to act according to your free will. But most of us would agree with ol' JSM that some regulation in order to protect the liberty and prevent harm to others is no bad thing either - he was a compete libertarian (I think he even coined the term) but even he made out a case that some things were harmful.

So, in this context, maybe the most important thing is to consider the harm done. Shouting "Oi, get me a BLACK coffee NOW, hur hur" might be harmful if it's obvious you're trying to be harmful with that remark.

However, the moral dilemma with which I (honestly) flirted when I once had to ask a black female barmaid for one of my favourite whiskies - Black Bush - was an easy one: she knew I was asking for a drink rather than talking about her no-doubt lovely fanny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here