Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police arrogance? Do they serve us or do we serve them?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In that case maybe the Rozzers should always have a presence at Prime Ministers Question Time in The House on Wednesdays ? Lots of shouting, booing and nasty things said there too.
Key difference is the occasion, I assume you can see the difference?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think there won't be many actually protesting at her funeral, if any at all.

Just odd that so much of a society, who she allegedly helped create, feel the need to protest? How can so many people seemingly jump to the wrong conclusion ?

Not odd, take away the people that were not even born or old enough from the protests....then your "so much of society", looks fairly small.
Surely it would be better for the younger members of this protest to arrange a protest about what they have a grievance with in the now world, the one they live in, not one that was over 23 years ago and they were no part of.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Surely it would be better for the younger members of this protest to arrange a protest about what they have a grievance with in the now world, the one they live in, not one that was over 23 years ago and they were no part of.
They did, they trashed large parts of Parliament Square and sundry West End locations for a laugh not that long ago,... then complained when the police took action to stop it...... hilarious.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
They did, they trashed large parts of Parliament Square and sundry West End locations for a laugh not that long ago,... then complained when the police took action to stop it...... hilarious.

Oh yeah, silly me i forgot that. They also defaced memorials, shops where people earn their living etc.....in fact everywhere except the places that they had grievances about. Great idea eh.:facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread has gone off track a little. My point is not whether it's right or wrong to demonstrate; more whether the police have the authority/remit to judge what is good or bad taste/manners etc.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think there won't be many actually protesting at her funeral, if any at all.

Just odd that so much of a society, who she allegedly helped create, feel the need to protest? How can so many people seemingly jump to the wrong conclusion ?

Maybe they are all absolutely spot on with their views that Thatcher was a terrible PM and a despicable person. That's really not the issue here, is it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not odd, take away the people that were not even born or old enough from the protests....then your "so much of society", looks fairly small.

Oh, you never heard about the sit-ins and protests at the job cuts and increase in tuition fees at Brighton University ?

Maybe you are right, all protesters should be vetted to prove that they were,if not an eligible voter at the time, at least a viable embryo that can prove in law, that they were directly affected by Tory policy during Mrs Thatchers time in office. If not a sound thrashing, administered by a heavily protected, Police Officer should be indicated.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This thread has gone off track a little. My point is not whether it's right or wrong to demonstrate; more whether the police have the authority/remit to judge what is good or bad taste/manners etc.
The answer is, they have the duty to stop any potential breach of the peace,..... that's why they will take action if necessary on Wednesday, not for some conspiratorial anti-protest theory you or others may throw around.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Its not a question of mere bad manners though, is it? The police need to keep the peace. The people going to the funeral are not the ones likely to cause disruption are they? They've warned the potential protestors that they will be arrested if they are likely to cause distress and let's face it, at a funeral mourners will, understandably, have a very low tolerance level. This idea of 'respectful' protesting of the funeral is a farcical illusion.

Do you think the police should have said nothing? Seems like they're damned whatever they do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe they are all absolutely spot on with their views that Thatcher was a terrible PM and a despicable person. That's really not the issue here, is it?
It's the basic reason why NSC has been raging with debate over the last few days. She has polarised extreme opinions on here just like she did at the time of her power.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Oh, you never heard about the sit-ins and protests at the job cuts and increase in tuition fees at Brighton University ?

Maybe you are right, all protesters should be vetted to prove that they were,if not an eligible voter at the time, at least a viable embryo that can prove in law, that they were directly affected by Tory policy during Mrs Thatchers time in office. If not a sound thrashing, administered by a heavily protected, Police Officer should be indicated.

A good twist and bodyswerve on your earlier posts.
Nobody has even mentioned "sound thrashing, administered by a heavily protected, Police Officer"......what a great imagination and uncanny knack you have of slipping in what people have not posted.....or not even considered. Would make a good drama though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's the basic reason why NSC has been raging with debate over the last few days. She has polarised extreme opinions on here just like she did at the time of her power.

You're spot on but does that mean its okay to protest at her funeral? And if they're willing to do something as extreme as that why did almost all of them not protest in the previous 23 years? Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age. Anyhow, I'm repeating myself here is that's me done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its not a question of mere bad manners though, is it? The police need to keep the peace. The people going to the funeral are not the ones likely to cause disruption are they? They've warned the potential protestors that they will be arrested if they are likely to cause distress and let's face it, at a funeral mourners will, understandably, have a very low tolerance level. This idea of 'respectful' protesting of the funeral is a farcical illusion.

Do you think the police should have said nothing? Seems like they're damned whatever they do.

Yes. I think they should have said nothing. They should sit back and deal with the day not go on the front foot in the way they have. It just stirs up more anger. If a breach of the peace or trouble develops on the day then do what is appropriate. But, I do not see, for example, see holding up a banner as a breach of the peace. Distasteful probably, breach of the peace no. I feel very uncomfortable with this type of police suppression. It's night be bad taste but it is your right to be able to protest and I certainly think it is outside the scope of the police to say otherwise if its not intimidating or threatening.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A good twist and bodyswerve on your earlier posts.
Nobody has even mentioned "sound thrashing, administered by a heavily protected, Police Officer"......what a great imagination and uncanny knack you have of slipping in what people have not posted.....or not even considered. Would make a good drama though.

Well, there is an inference is that The Met will be "vigorous" in the defence of order,. Lets hope all goes peacefully, and that people are allowed to make dignified protests, and we don't have another Ian Tomlinson incident.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I'm also done with this. I have made my point a few times now and my point is regarding the police.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're spot on but does that mean its okay to protest at her funeral? And if they're willing to do something as extreme as that why did almost all of them not protest in the previous 23 years? Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age. Anyhow, I'm repeating myself here is that's me done.

I agree, otherwise this could go on forever.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I wonder if all those individuals who intend to actively protest at Thatchers funeral and are arguing so vociferously that it is their right to do so would be as magnanimous as to allow the EDL to carry out their protests free from interference..............the mind boggles.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wonder if all those individuals who intend to actively protest at Thatchers funeral and are arguing so vociferously that it is their right to do so would be as magnanimous as to allow the EDL to carry out their protests free from interference..............the mind boggles.

Of course they are allowed to carry out their protests. However so are the people that choose to protest against them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
So you think it is ok for these scum to disrupt the funeral of a lady who tried so hard to improve the lives of the people of this country?

If they break the law then I expect them to be arrested and dealt with according to the law.

There is nothing lower than that in my opinion, and they deserve everyting they get. They are simply worse than dog shit.

Really ? I'd put child abusers, murderers and rapists lower for a start. I would think your beloved Thatcher would too...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here