NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Fifa World Cup 2014 Qualification Group H
Poland v England
National Stadium Warsaw
Kick-off: 20:00 BST, ITV1
Tuesday 16th October 2012

So England face Poland tonight after the rather pointless exercise at Wembley against San Marino.
Expecting a hostile atmosphere and a very tough game. Would a draw be a good enough result tonight?

Martin Peters says a draw in Poland would suit England | Sky Sports

Steven Gerrard looks set to start and regain the captain's armband for his 99th cap tonight and Ashley Cole should also be back in the side to make his 99th appearance as well.

There are doubts over the fitness of Gary Cahill and Theo Walcott has been ruled out, alongside Lampard and Bertrand.

England expected to line-up:

Hart
Johnson
Jagielka
Lescott
Cole
Milner
Gerrard
Carrick
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Rooney
Defoe

Poland expected line-up:

Tyton
Piszczek
Glik
Wasilewski
Wawrzyniak
Borysiuk
Krychowiak
Mierzejewski
Obraniak
Grosicki
Lewandowski

Poland's Key Man:

Robert Lewandowski

Borussia Dortmund striker constantly linked with a move to one of the top English sides. Won the Bundesliga player of the season and the Polish player of the year last season, scoring 30 goals in 46 appearances. A constant attacking threat that Lescott could struggle against tonight. Strong, pacey and a sublime finisher.

The stadium:
National Stadium, Warsaw

58,000 seater beauty in the heart of Warsaw. Opened in January this year, the stadium hosted a few group games plus a quarter and semi-final in Euro 2012.
Poland have played four games at the stadium: a 0-0 draw in a friendly with Germany, 1-1 draws with Greece and Russia in their disastrous Euro 2012 campaign, and a 1-0 win over South Africa last Friday.
The stadium has a retractable roof and is believed to have cost 500 Million Euros.

Facts:

Poland have only beaten England once- a 2-0 win over Sir Alf Ramsey's side in 1973 on Polish soil. Since this result, England's record against Poland has been: 10 wins, six draws, 27 goals for and 10 goals against.

Poland will be missing skipper and top scorer Jakub Blaszczykowski, who is Poland’s leading scorer in 2012 with four goals in nine games.

The White Eagles, listed 49 places below England in the (ridiculous) Fifa rankings, are unbeaten in qualifying so far, drawing 2-2 away to Montenegro and beating Moldova 2-0 at home.

Wayne Rooney’s double against San Marino took him to fifth on the England all-time scoring charts with 31 goals, overtaking Tom Finney, Nat Lofthouse and Alan Shearer.

Danny Welbeck is England’s highest scorer in the Roy Hodgson era, while Jermain Defoe has struck 17 times in his last 19 starts for his country.

Prediction

I'm going to go with a 1-1 draw. Gerrard to put England ahead in the first half, with Lewandowski pulling it back late on.

What say you, NSC?

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
2-1 Poland

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You can get 6-1 on Lewandowski first/last goal. Seems a bit generous.

I've stuck a couple of quid on 2-0 Poland.

England looked poor on Friday - even against a joke team like San Marino. I honestly think we would struggle to keep the ball just amongst ourselves with no opposition. Poland will capitalise on that. Of course if they don't and I'm wrong I refuse to be made accountable for this post.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can get 6-1 on Lewandowski first/last goal. Seems a bit generous.

I've stuck a couple of quid on 2-0 Poland.

England looked poor on Friday - even against a joke team like San Marino. I honestly think we would struggle to keep the ball just amongst ourselves with no opposition. Poland will capitalise on that. Of course if they don't and I'm wrong I refuse to be made accountable for this post.

Hodgson is making 6 changes to the team from last Friday, bringing back the experience of Gerrard, Cole etc.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ITV.

I would expect Hodgson to play in a different way from the 4-2-3-1 against the minnows. If he doesn't we will end up losing. Capello would have played 4-4-2 (albeit modified).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
ITV.

I would expect Hodgson to play in a different way from the 4-2-3-1 against the minnows. If he doesn't we will end up losing. Capello would have played 4-4-2 (albeit modified).

I reckon it'll be along the lines of:

-----------------Hart----------------------
---Johnson---Lescott---Jagielka---Cole---
---------------Carrick---------------------
---Milner-------Gerrard------Chamberlain--
------------Rooney------------------------
------------------------Defoe--------------

4-1-3-1-1/4-1-3-2 or just a slightly modified 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Poland v England tonight, live from Olympic Stadium, Warsaw.

It will be very interesting to see which set of supporters travel back to England the happiest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stan Collymore ‏[MENTION=12426]stan[/MENTION]Collymore
England Hart/Johnson Jagielka Lescott Cole/Gerrard Carrick/Milner Rooney Cleverley/Defoe

Collymore's usually spot on for team news.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
England probable XI: Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Carrick, Cleverley, Rooney, Defoe.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I reckon it'll be along the lines of:

-----------------Hart----------------------
---Johnson---Lescott---Jagielka---Cole---
---------------Carrick---------------------
---Milner-------Gerrard------Chamberlain--
------------Rooney------------------------
------------------------Defoe--------------

4-1-3-1-1/4-1-3-2 or just a slightly modified 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Seems about right. Not my choice though. Fits in with Hodgson.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Presumably all true Brighton fans will be supporting Poland and our boy Tom. England are Tom Kite anyway so its not even a hard thing to do.

Come on Poland.

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
From Twitter: BREAKING #bhafc goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak expected to bench vs England tonight.
This was tweeted by BBC South East, but still not official yet

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
3-1 to the good guys, England to break free from the shackles of playing at home with an impressive performance this evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here