Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Points deduction for not being on SKY !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may appear thick but how can the club have point deducted for something that is beyond their control are they supposed to ignore the police and call sky in, and if they did what could the police do , refuse to allow the game to go ahead?

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All seems a bit weird.

Also impacts on Watford, who were due to play one of them on Easter Monday. That game has now had to be put back to the Tuesday evening (I think) because of the late kick off at Huddersfield on the Saturday. Anyone who'd bought travel tickets for a nice leisurely bank holiday trip now has to either reschedule for the much-less-accessible Tuesday night, or cancel.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's all yet another sign that when it comes to football, the people who are thought of last - if they're thought of at all - are the supporters.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Football clubs pay twice - once in their taxes and then again for the police deployed within their stadium footprint.

No they don't. Do you really think that the Uniform Business Rate is sufficient to cover policing costs for their matches? As none appear to make any profit, it is hard to imagine any paying Corporation Tax.

They should be made to pay ALL the cost of policing their matches, including those for fans travelling to and from matches. We need to stop all this over-spending of public money. If clubs cannot afford the costs, then they should all be without away fans. Simples.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No they don't. Do you really think that the Uniform Business Rate is sufficient to cover policing costs for their matches? As none appear to make any profit, it is hard to imagine any paying Corporation Tax.

They should be made to pay ALL the cost of policing their matches, including those for fans travelling to and from matches. We need to stop all this over-spending of public money. If clubs cannot afford the costs, then they should all be without away fans. Simples.

What absolute rubbish how can BHAFC be held responsible and also be able to control what fans travelling from Burnley do en route to The Amex whether it be in Burnley. Birmingham or Burgess Hill.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Why exactly? If there is a fight in a city centre in the summer, should we be billing Sussex CC or the local tourist board or maybe the train company that brought them to Brighton? How about the the Government for building the road that allowed them to visit Brighton? Why do you think the football club are responsible for what happens within a cities boundaries on the day of a game?

This sort of thing falls within the remit of policing, just like demonstrations, pissheads, domestic violence, murder and all the other things that happen everywhere, every night of the bloody week!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Why exactly? If there is a fight in a city centre in the summer, should we be billing Sussex CC or the local tourist board or maybe the train company that brought them to Brighton? How about the the Government for building the road that allowed them to visit Brighton? Why do you think the football club are responsible for what happens within a cities boundaries on the day of a game?

This sort of thing falls within the remit of policing, just like demonstrations, pissheads, domestic violence, murder and all the other things that happen everywhere, every night of the bloody week!

It is not the same as crowd control, or needing to put-on additional police though is it? Anyway, clubs should be required to pay more than just for the old bill actually in the ground.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is not the same as crowd control, or needing to put-on additional police though is it? Anyway, clubs should be required to pay more than just for the old bill actually in the ground.

Let's take your idea further then. Maybe pubs and clubs should have to pay for all the extra police that are needed in places like West Street to cope with the drunken idiots ? I assume YOU are willing to pay more for your season ticket, your pint at a pub and your entrance to a club ?

Besides, the football clubs responsibility can only stretch as far as the stadium footprint. After that it should be the idiots that cause trouble that are charged for the cost of the police. If people actually acted like civil human beings then maybe there wouldn't be a need for police at Brighton Station etc .....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's take your idea further then. Maybe pubs and clubs should have to pay for all the extra police that are needed in places like West Street to cope with the drunken idiots ?

I believe this is being considered. It's certainly something that's been discussed in several cities and I think it's actually being implemented in Nottingham.

I must say that I agree with the people on here who query how a club can be fined for something they have no control over. The only thing I can think of is that Huddersfield's membership of the league is contingent on them accepting their responsibility to host a televised game - if they're not in position to do that then they should accept the consequences.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's take your idea further then. Maybe pubs and clubs should have to pay for all the extra police that are needed in places like West Street to cope with the drunken idiots ?

Not sure what the deal is round these parts, but in some towns and cities, they do. Based on crime and anti-social behaviour figures, the licensed premises are sometimes required to pay a levy for the additional cost of policing the hotspot areas.

Not a comment on the football, by the way, just an observation :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really think the Police have forgotten why they are there. It is to enforce the laws of this country not to dictate them...

This. They need to remember they are servants and not masters.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure what the deal is round these parts, but in some towns and cities, they do. Based on crime and anti-social behaviour figures, the licensed premises are sometimes required to pay a levy for the additional cost of policing the hotspot areas.

I get the theory, and could possibly support it BUT it discriminates against premises that are well run and responsible. Policing of public areas should come out of taxation not businesses or individual's pockets direct.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the theory, and could possibly support it BUT it discriminates against premises that are well run and responsible. Policing of public areas should come out of taxation not businesses or individual's pockets direct.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If this was allowed to go unchallenged how long before the 'bubble' game became the norm? I really think the Police have forgotten why they are there. It is to enforce the laws of this country not to dictate them...

Totally this.

The Police have become a totally discredited organisation and Plebgate showed they think they run the country. This is a democracy and the Police are servants of the State. They should behave as such.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not getting this. accepting that the Police are charging more and imposing more rules, why does this impact specifically on the Sky game? are they changing it more because its a Sky game? or are they doing it anyway and theres a fuss being made because it coincides with the Sky game (so, to be blunt, are using this to publicise the ongoing issue?)???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here