Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pocket Money for Kids

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
I used to get 30p up to the age of 13 then I got a paper round.

I have three kids of 12, 10 and 6 and don't give them any pocket money yet...

Mrs BB has broached the idea of giving them an allowance but for the life of me I do not know how much I should pitch it at.

What is the going rate for a fairly naughty child?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
my 8 yearold gets a fiver,my 5 year old gets 3 quid,my 14 year old gets a tenner and my 16 year old seems to think i have a bottomless pit!!!!!.that is a week,this is for them to use whatever,ie chewing gum,comics etc.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i might add they all save very well and have good savings,and do tell them to put some away every now and then

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None.

Send them up the chimney, make them earn it.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the oldest 2 will be working for me soon so then they will have their own money:clap:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
We give our boy (hes 9 in a few weeks) £1 if he gets his weekly spellings right eg 12/12! Oh and some Shoot Out cards a few times a week!

The 15 year old gets £40 pm but she has do chores for that and has to use £10 to top her mobile up (shes not allowed to go out anywhere unless shes got credit on her phone!!).

At least if they are getting pocket money you have something to bribe them with when they are being bad.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
after the age of about 8 I think I always earnt it. simple chores to get it included

putting rubbish out
mowing the lawn
tidying bedroom
putting washing in the basket
getting Sunday papers
walking the dog

simple things that make a difference to the simple running of a family household, AND taught me the value of money . . .it don't grow on trees !

I'll be treating my sone the same, no co-operation round the house . . .no pocket money

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
zefarelly said:
after the age of about 8 I think I always earnt it. simple chores to get it included

putting rubbish out
mowing the lawn
tidying bedroom
putting washing in the basket
getting Sunday papers
walking the dog

simple things that make a difference to the simple running of a family household, AND taught me the value of money . . .it don't grow on trees !

I'll be treating my sone the same, no co-operation round the house . . .no pocket money

But they are already encouraged to help around the house for fear of getting a severe thrashing...

:D

Only joking.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
we tied their pocket money to tidy bedrooms - without too much success - but they have always been reasonable around the house. As long as they were trying at school we were not too worried. .

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
they need their own money to start making their own decisions. My tip is once you have handed it over - don't be tempted to involve yourself in what it is spent on - it's their money.

For a 12-year-old - a fiver a week ?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Dick Knights Mum said:
you do get out of the habit of realising how little a quid or even a fiver is these days.

Thats very true. A pack of fags are almost a fiver arent they? :ohmy: :lolol:

Our kids dont do too badly out of us in general, thats why we dont throw loads of cash at them. They are aslo lucky in the fact that they are the only grandchildren that both sets of parents have so they get bunged from them too regularly.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Dick Knights Mum said:
they need their own money to start making their own decisions. My tip is once you have handed it over - don't be tempted to involve yourself in what it is spent on - it's their money.

For a 12-year-old - a fiver a week ?

Ooooh that would be difficult..is it not a good idea to show contempt if they waste it on sweets and rubbish. Would it not be a good idea to encourage some form of saving

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Brighton Bloke said:
I used to get 30p up to the age of 13 then I got a paper round.

I have three kids of 12, 10 and 6 and don't give them any pocket money yet...

Mrs BB has broached the idea of giving them an allowance but for the life of me I do not know how much I should pitch it at.

What is the going rate for a fairly naughty child?

I think i got 50p a week which went up to 75p a week.But to earn a lttle more decent amount i did two paper rounds.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dick Knights Mum said:

True - but if I find my son tripping out on e's then I think I'll question him ;) :lol:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Re: Re: Pocket Money for Kids

rogue said:
I think i got 50p a week which went up to 75p a week.But to earn a lttle more decent amount i did two paper rounds.

A paper rounds is such a shit job for kids to do and the money is crap. I know in one sense it points them in the right direction, but we discouraged the eldest from a paper round, I said I'd rather pay her to to do some housework. I know housework is a crap job but at least she wouldnt be out in the dark and cold doing it for peanuts!

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
My two eldest get £3 each for doing nothing (unless they have really brassed me off then that gets reduced or stopped)

If they then do enough things to help around the house drying up, rooms tidy etc I then top it up to £5 a week.

God i remember when my 50p pocket money bought me loads of stuff not half the crap they come home with, but as has been said it is their money so............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here