Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poached Eggs

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I love poached eggs - quite the finest way to eat them - but have only got a rather ancient and unreliable egg poacher. So Lush's method (with added buttered cling film tip from hitony) sounds quite BRILLIANT.
:clap:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I love poached eggs - quite the finest way to eat them - but have only got a rather ancient and unreliable egg poacher. So Lush's method (with added buttered cling film tip from hitony) sounds quite BRILLIANT.
:clap:

Yeah - has got me thinking too, but I've never been a fan of a runny yoke.

Rare meat lovely, but a runny yoke has me running to the hills.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm not a fan of overly runny yolk and can't abide undercooked eggs. But a poached egg which has nice firm "outsides" that, when cut into, provide just enough yolk to spread (rather than leak) all over your buttered toast is the business.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Always scrambled eggs - made by mixing powdered egg with powdered milk and water, stirring until most of the evidence of the powder (but not all) had disappeared, leaving the resultant goo to go cold and semi-congealed in a pan. Help yourself. The toast was cold, too. And the margarine ... don't get me going about the margarine.

My workplace has a canteen for overnight workers, and some of the chefs are lazier than others. The TRIED and TESTED method for making sure you get proper scrambled actual eggs is to ask if the omelettes are on. ONLY when you get a yes do you ask scrambled eggs.

I also used to make my scrambled eggs with a fork until the other week when I bought a Sainsbury's scrambled egg whisk. A BARGAIN at only 99p.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
My preferred method these days is to break an egg into a mug lined with cling film, twizzle to seal and drop the whole parcel into boiling water for 5 mins. Remove cling film. Eat on toast.

That is f***ing WELL SMART.

I can't wait to try it out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
For perfect poached eggs you need very, very hot water. You can keep the perfect shape bu using a teaspoon to create a whirlpool, vortex thing and drop the egg in the middle. It the keeps its shape. Only leave it there for about 2,5 mins.

If youcan't do that properly then slide the egg into very hot water from a cup. Once the egg is in the water pop the cup in the water over the egg. This creates a ;little shaper for it and keeps it firm and shapely! cook for about 2.5 mins. Loverly!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I luv poached eggs but do them the old fashioned way in a saucepan with a little vinegar and the water swirled with a whisk then the egg dropped in the swirling water.

Do not like them done in a poacher or even more so in a microwave oven as I never seem to be able to get them to come out with the white cooked and the yolk runny, if one is right the other isnt.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I don't really like poached eggs, but have scrambled every Sunday.

Taken me ages to get it right. If anyone is interested, fot two people I break 4 eggs into a COLD saucepan.

Whisk (with a proper hand whisk - not a fork) and then add about a tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper.

This is placed over the LOWEST heat possible on the hob and whisked continuously and vigorously. The eggs will foam if you are doing it right.

The mixture will firstly start to thicken like custard.

This is a completely different approach than simply roughing up an omelette. Proper scrambled eggs take time.

When it starts to solidify at the bottom, I move to a wooden spoon but still continue to stir very quickly. This is a crucial stage and leaving the pan on the heat without stiring will ruin it.

When you need to leave the pan for a few minutes to make the toast, it's important you take it off even the low heat that is there

Timing is crucial. When the eggs still have a certain amount of liquid, you can start to think about the toast, remembering that the eggs continue to cook in the pan alone when off the heat.

Anyway - this method of whisking over a low heat continuously and vigorously initially into a thick custard makes very very creamy eggs. Everyone thinks they know how to make scrambled eggs (I did) but when it's done properly, you realise how rubbish the ones you made before were.

good post

I like the cling film in a cup idea as well

best eggs though are the homemade ones my moms chickens lay, lovely orange yolks a variety of big and little uns in different shapes and sizes, soft boiled with proper buttered soldiers and a bit of salt. They scramble very nicely too. Never tried poaching an egg

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I have been practising poaching eggs a bit over the last six months or so, my method is to use a deep saucepan filled almost to the brim with boiling water (probably about 2 inches). Turn the heat off, crack the eggs into the water (no swirling or vinegar or whatever required) and cover the pan for exactly three minutes. Take the eggs out, place on a buttered muffin with crispy bacon, salt and pepper and ketchup, and you've got yourself the nicest, and messiest breakfast in the world.

The cling film idea sounds like a good one though, and I'll be giving it a go next sunday. I've given up on swirling the water as it means you can only do one at a time, and I found the results were generally just the same as the above method.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here