Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plus point from today

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
you must be joking shirley...!!

Nope , the promotion money will fund a stronger team. Tony has set up this club to be self sufficiant the only way we can fund a premiership side is going to be to get promoted 1st, we may not be in this position again for a very long time to come .

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You quote Blackpool but Blue n White could qoute back at you Derby, Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Watford & the list goes on even to include Palarce. We are too far behind where we need to be to survive in Prem plus the players who can perform in Prem will be picked off at a reduced price, making getting back up even harder.

I get that and as I said I won't argue the rights and wrongs as I'm not sure myself. Used Blackpool as an example just to demonstrate it might not be all bad, and they are as well used to L1 as we are I think.

Also the point about picking off players equally applies if we don't go up doesn't it? Come end of season the likes of Bridcutt, KLL, Buckley will be targets for mid/lower table Prem teams stocking up for next season ... feels like damned if you do damned if you don't to me ... so on that basis why not give it a bash. Also remember when Wigan went up, no one gave them a prayer and no matter how long we spend in Champs same will be thought of us

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel Gus is playing a dangerous game, and think Gus's "frank" interviews are another example of him speaking his mind a little too freely (see Suarez)

Yesterday was an FA Cup tie, not a league match, so the result must be taken in that context. We've not started with 2 wingers all season yet Gus clearly felt because it was the cup he'd give it a go. He could have said "we went out to attack, we got burned, it's not how we normally play". Instead he's said that his players aren't good enough for the Prem and there needs to be major surgery.

If these same players tank for the remainder of the season I won't be that surprised. Liam Bridcutt trooped off yesterday with barely an acknowledgement to the 6,000 travelling fans. He was clearly gutted - now, on the back of 2 own goals and Gus's general comments, he will be wondering if he'll ever make the grade.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
One thing is clear, we do lack premiership quality at the moment. However, as we are in a decent position at the moment we should not stop striving the for the best finish we can get, even if that means getting into the playoffs. For our season to tail off without a fight would be very disappointing indeed. I think there will be one hell of a clear out in the summer and basically the incumbent squad members are now playing for their place in the 2012/2013 team. It will be interesting how much of a role will be given to the two city lads that have come in now. I certainly expect reyes and mattock to be first choice for the rest of the season, will two midfielders also bite the bullet?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Even a "taste" of the premier league for a single season would be good news for the club.

The cash from being in there and the parachute fund from coming back down again would make all the difference in building (attracting and paying for) a squad which would mean we could stay in the premier league next time.

Without a rich Middle/Far Eastern backer bank-rolling the purchase of players, we have to do it the old-fashioned way - TV revenue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here