Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers, bunch of arse

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
chicken run said:
Def his fault as the leak too first floor was a new shower tray that was inataled in the conversion, however I Paid the main contractor in cash increments so I not sure leagal is an option

If your contract was with the main contractor and he subcontracted the plumbing, your claim is against the main contractor. It is then down to him to pursue the subcontractor if he feels he's got a claim against him.

El Presidente said:
Not quite a pplumber NMH, but it did give me brownie points with Mrs. Pres (which were paid back in full last night) and gives me a grief free day for pissing off to Sunderland today.

Luckily I sorted it, but I bet these cowboys take an identical approach to pensioners living on the breadline who can't afford to be ripped off.

The 'plumber' claimed a whole new cistern unit was required, utter weasel.

You still didn't mention what you do for a living.
???

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
Got quoted £400 by plumber to sort out balls up by previous plumber - his rate was £75 per hour so you would expect 5.33 hours for your money - 3 hours later dodgy :censored: was giving me his bill - londons finest Pimlico Plumbers..........

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bluejuice said:
I'd love to be a plumber, or an electrician for that matter.

Based on people I know who work in "the trades", its possible you're already qualified enough to be a sparky. Last one I had out to do something managed to shock himself about ten times and put his foot through the ceiling. Since then me or my dad has done any wiring stuff needed, no problems....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
El Presidente said:
University lecturer and chartered accountant. About as dull as it gets. :yawn:

Was that you with El Pres on the back of your shirt yesterday - WUG ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was me. WUG stands for Woodingdean Urban Guerillas, of which I was a founder member in 1975!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Rangdo said:
Transco don't do plumbing do they?

Whi? Any good?

I have the British Gas too having been stung for a £100 by an electrician for a five minute job - it had taken me two weeks to even get one to bother to come round!

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Don't talk to me about Plumbers, I've been expecting a phone call all weekend from a plumber who's supposed to be installing a central heating system in my house, Starting Monday.
Bastard still hasn't rang to say he's coming.

Reminds me of the new sex position.
The Plumber.
"Both of you wait in all day and nobody comes".

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
trueblue said:
Whi? Any good?

I have the British Gas too having been stung for a £100 by an electrician for a five minute job - it had taken me two weeks to even get one to bother to come round!

The contracts are good if you haven't got a clue how to do it yourself. Companies like British Gas generally won't rip you off because you've already paid the contract so they don't benefit from timewasting and stuff like that. Personally I do it all myself. That way I know the guy is a useless fucker before he starts.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
chicken run said:
Just had a 30k lof extenion completed, took them 20 weeks (10 weeks in the tender) and we now have a leak in the first floor, plumber who did the instalation not interested in coming back to look, if it were his house bet there wouldnt be a problem!

Any chance you could tell us who did your loft extension? Just that we're planning one ourselves and any advice on who to use and who not to use is always welcome.

Roger Mellie said:
Got quoted £400 by plumber to sort out balls up by previous plumber - his rate was £75 per hour so you would expect 5.33 hours for your money - 3 hours later dodgy :censored: was giving me his bill - londons finest Pimlico Plumbers..........

If his rate was 75 an hour, then I have to assume you only paid the 225 for his 3 hours?
If he were to submit a bill for anything more than that (plus materials perhaps) then you should with-hold payment pending his lawsuit - or tell him to bill the correct amount.
If you paid 400, you'd have only yourself to blame.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even that doesnt compare with Drain clearance firms.

Recently we had a blockage in a pub that I was working at and the company said call in Dyno Rod or similar. I did

Call out and 1/2 hrs work £150.00
each 1/4 hr or part £45.00
use of water jet same rate but a minimum of 1/2 hour

Total Time taken 47 minutes, as per job sheet , including filling up water tank for jetting whilst they drank a cup of tea,

Total Charge £340 + VAT = £399.50

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good grief, find yourself someone cheaper. Having said that, he should save you far more than that in tax if he knows his stuff, but it is still very steep.

Last edited:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Roger Mellie said:
I'm sure Pimlico plumbers have been featured on one of the consumer programmes(Watchdog or House of Horror) and condemned for shoddy work and overcharging
As a self-employed builder I would love to be able to charge £75 an hour , but I wouldn't get any work! Plumbers try to justify their charges by qouting all their overheads ,but I have the same expenses and my hourly rate is around £20 per hour

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
NMH said:
If his rate was 75 an hour, then I have to assume you only paid the 225 for his 3 hours?
If he were to submit a bill for anything more than that (plus materials perhaps) then you should with-hold payment pending his lawsuit - or tell him to bill the correct amount.
If you paid 400, you'd have only yourself to blame.

Not if he quoted that price beforehand and the job was accpted on the basis of that price and not on an hourly rate/

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have cleared my own drains before, and shifted more soild faeces than I care to think about.

this would have cost in excess of £400 for jetting, and then they usually smash the main drin with the excessive force of the jet used.

Please do not get me started on chimney sweeps!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here